• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Clearwater area course ... ASIDE from CS or Taylor?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
And don't get me wrong, Cliff Stephens and Taylor Park RULE!
I love Taylor especially.

Is Coachman a separate course? Is it playable?
I don't get what it actually is based on the reviews.

Somewhere else I should play in that area while I am down there?
I've also played Medard and Tocabago.

Picnic Island has moved to the top of my "want to play" list down there (my inlaws live nearby).

Coachman is a separate course from Cliff.

Coachman is different from Cliff and very close by Cliff. It actually connects to Cliff Stephens. However, a bike would be best as it is a long walk. I drive over when playing both. Coachman is a shorter wooded type course compared to Cliff.
Another don't miss in the Tampa area is Picnic Island.
A cult favorite of mine is 22nd St. Park.

Coachman is its own course and is a little shorter and more wooded than Cliff. Sounds like you need to play Picnic, Cypress, USF and 22nd Street also.

Coachman is its own course and is a little shorter and more wooded than Cliff. Sounds like you need to play Picnic, Cypress, USF and 22nd Street also.

I'll check them out.
Thank you!

If you want a difficult challenge [or an extended bout of self-flagellation] head south to Tocobaga in St. Pete.

I would also say Picnic Island, Cypress Park and USF, and pretty much in that order.

I played Cypress Point Park for the first time last Saturday & it was great! Add another must play to the ever growing Tampa/Clearwater list.

I think the must plays are Cypress Point Park, Picnic Island and Cliff Stephens.

The "very worthy" if you have more time are Taylor Park and 22nd Street Park.

Demoted to "if you are board and still have time" Tocobaga & Coachman.

But...which one is best for finding your car safe and sound when you come back to it?????

But...which one is best for finding your car safe and sound when you come back to it?????

I haven't had a problem at any of the greater Tampa area courses. They are mostly heavily played and patrolled. That said, I would prob not play the 22nd Street course by myself.

^ agreed. Which is a shame as 22'nd Street is so cool at dusk with the shadows. If anyone is staying in the area I wonder if 22'nd Street is that fun in the early a.m. while the criminal element is sleeping.

As far as the safest courses with safe parking for a car loaded up for a road trip, I would vote for Picnic & Cypress. Since they are on the beach there is ample parking and lots of people around.

Bump for my favorite DG road trip destination! :thmbup: I'm here for a few days with my wife, headed to the keys tomorrow morning. Played Cypress Friday night, Coachman this morning, and Cliff Stephens this afternoon/evening. The latter might be my favorite course ever. Last year when I was here I played Picnic Island which I wish I had time to play again during this visit. And there are others I want to play like Oldsmar and 22nd St.

I guess I don't have a lot to say except I just ****ing love it here so much and I want to move here. The weather is insane this week and people here are so friendly and cool. The sport is doing REALLY well here, with players of all ages and lots of females too. Basically disc golf paradise.

Any others I should wishlist? I'll probably be back this year if the world doesn't end.

Oldsmar should definitely be a stop on your list. A lot of variety from technical to longer driver throws. Very scenic and well maintained. I've seen Calvin playing out there; it is in the Safety Harbor neighborhood.

I would put Taylor and Medard on your wishlist if you have not played them. Taylor is fine year-round but Medard is best played in the Winter.

You live in GA and love to DG in FL and we live in FL and love to DG in GA lol

Last edited:
Played a tourney last month in that area and had a blast at Taylor, Picnic, and Maximo/Tocabaga. Obviously Picnic is the jam but also really enjoyed Maximo as it had a great feel of the jungle with tons of palmettos, palms, and moss-strewn oaks. Hole 18 was absolutely beautiful and encapsulated the best of Florida golf. Taylor was fine but wasn't too different than many nice city park courses throughout the country.

Also USF is solid. Several ho-hum open field holes but it gets fun and scenic in the woods/swamp.

Last edited:
I would put Taylor and Medard on your wishlist if you have not played them. Taylor is fine year-round but Medard is best played in the Winter.

You live in GA and love to DG in FL and we live in FL and love to DG in GA lol
I'm pretty happy with my local courses, but man, some of the scenery at Cliff Stephens is unreal. All the water, the Spanish moss, these crazy trees with limbs that grow along the ground. Even with the lack of elevation change, all the challenge you want is there. And the weather this week couldn't be any better.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cliff too and some of the courses up north of Orlando and in the middle of Florida even have hills on them, but we are a little short on mountains.

I just moved here from Texas and haven't got to play all of them yet. Taylor, Tocobaga, USF noticeably.

Right now, my preference in order is:

Picnic Island
Cliff Stephens
Cypress Point (nice mix of holes, and some lengthy ones.)
22nd Street (mainly because it has some long holes and a bit of elevation)
Oldsmar
Showmen's (this is really unique because of all the old carnival equipment scattered about)
Coachman

Latest posts