• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course in Texas

I've played most of the top TX courses (and have played 60 Texas courses total), and since this is a list of "BEST" Texas courses, I'm rating it as such, based on my opinions... if this was a list of "FAVORITE" Texas courses, I'd have a slightly different order. (Since "favorite" takes into account more personal biases, and "best" tries to be more objective). Here's what I'd give a top 10 awards to... I've played ever course I'm putting on the list.

1. East Metro Park -- Manor, TX
2. Cameron Park East (The Beast) -- Waco, TX
3. Lester Lorch Park - Beaver DGC -- Cedar Hill, TX
4. Circle R - Rolling Meadows -- Wimberley, TX
5. Moody's DGC -- Red Rock, TX
6. Z-Boaz Park -- Fort Worth, TX
7. Williamson County DGC (Wilco) -- Leander, TX
8. Circle R - Circle Hill DGC -- Wimberley, TX
9. Harry Myers DGC -- Rockwall, TX
10. Lester Lorch - Coyote DGC -- Cedar Hill, TX

As a note, I have not played the redesigned Circle C, so I can't include it on the list. Nor have I played Shawshank (it's on my wish list).

I should also note that when I'm making my "top ten" list, I'm considering tournament potential for every course, so I'm giving each the benefit of the doubt as to being in well-maintained, freshly-mown, non-swampy status... usually with all baskets in the longs. The long layouts on a lot of those courses are awesome.

Also: It was really tempting to put Veteran's on the list -- that would go on my list of "favorites" -- but it really doesn't require very many different shots. You can basically play 90+% of the holes with a RHBH hyzer... pretty boring after a while... great terrain but limited shot requirements dock it as a top-tier course, IMHO. Though it is hellafun to play.

I'm down in Houston and my favorite courses are as follows:

Jack Brooks (the best 2-course park in the State).

Miramar Park (9 challenging holes close to home).

Its not that I'm up to date on all the courses here, But I've known the main course designer for 27 yrs. He has always had a tendency to punish the golfer for minor errors and the designs are punitive in nature. I've played Pease Park and Circle C recently and neither one is near the fun to play as my course in Brady, Tx. Over 6000 ft. and designed for fun. Fair to both left and right throwers, water, but not too close. Two hours north west of Austin, much less humid, small town friendly, great camping park. Designed by Larry Mann #3946 leading money winner masters div. 1989. Won 13 tournaments that year including the Kansas City Wide Open (by 11 shots) and the Mid America Open. Almost 60 and still throwing strong-course record -8.

I would like to change my pick. After playing the newly redone Circle C course in Austin I have a new favorite. It is FANTASTIC.

Circle C

where should i play near san antonio?...gonna be there in late august..ty in advance...oo by the way i want a challenge

If u don't mind about an hour drive north to south Austin, I'd definately play the newly redesigned Circle C http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=542. It will surely provide quite the challenge (esp. from the long tees). I've played quite a few tx courses & I'd have to say this is the most fun and challenging (and now the nicest) one. If you do make it to Circle C, you might want to give yourself an extra hour to check out Disc Nation (the largest disc retailer in the world) only about 5 miles down the road.

I'd be down to get a round in with ya... never played in SA.

Having only been to Austin, I'll add my limited and biased votes for

Pease

and

East Metro

Metro is GREAT! but still an hour, worth it to go play those Austin courses, Metro, Pease, and Circle C

My personal order of San Antonio's bests:

1. McClain (18)
2. Live Oak (38) (basically two courses put together)
3. Universal City (18)
4. Pearsall (18)

1 & 2 are good, while 3 & 4 are decent.

I've played all in the area except the two private ones (one you need someone with military clearance and the other you need someone who works at USAA to get into). There's also a HOA course somewhere in SA but it's super exclusive (no, I haven't played it).

... and to all of you who played Cirlce C (in south Austin) before they revamped it :

PLEASE COME BACK AND PLAY IT NOW!!!

Us Austin folks would appreciate the reviews to correctly reflect the current course. No I'm not telling you to give it a great rating (everyone has their own opinion), but at least an up-to-date rating. Trust me, it will be worth the trip.

My personal order of San Antonio's bests:

1. McClain (18)
2. Live Oak (38) (basically two courses put together)
3. Universal City (18)
4. Pearsall (18)

1 & 2 are good, while 3 & 4 are decent.

I've played all in the area except the two private ones (one you need someone with military clearance and the other you need someone who works at USAA to get into). There's also a HOA course somewhere in SA but it's super exclusive (no, I haven't played it).

I played McClain when I was there. Its located kind of in Northwest SA. I loved it. Easy parking, and one of the neatest courses I think I have every played. It is hard to navagate your first time there, so I put out that I was going to be playing there, and I met up with a couple of locals that showed me the course. We had a blast. Here is a pic of me on the first tee watching my disc fly:
20081116BM38.jpg

Here is pic of one of the open holes:
20081116BM31.jpg

an hour drive? im looking for alot less, after driving to texas from ny..

In that case, you'll probably be driving through Austin. If you're not too drained from the drive I'd recommend East Metro or Circle C, which are the two toughest courses in the area, IMO. They're both about the same distance off the interstate (I-35), but I'd say East Metro is a bit more difficult of a course.