• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best driver on the market

Hey, Captain Misinformation, April 26, 2002 ain't 1999 no matter how hard you party.

Well in sorry, the Magazine the PDGA used at the time had so many errors that they switched after episode 5. Also too mcuh dog stuff so they switched to a PDGA created publication and for a while the other Magazine was about Disc Dog stuff 75% of the time last I looked. Wonder if Flying Disc is still a magazine?

Oh for sure he does!! That pink Scorpius is deadly! It was more the control aspect with the thunderbird, and how much he leaned on it on some longer drives that most people were throwing max D drivers. I know last year he was throwing a G star thundy in the woods because it was a little more "flippy" for him. Anyone else experience this? I've never ventured outside of star/champ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I throw gstar and champ thunderbirds and yes gstar does seem a bit less overstable than champ. For woods courses I prefer using a combo of gstar thunderbird and gstar firebird over anything champion because bad tree kicks are way less painful.

I actually kind of agree with this. I throw in the 350-375ft range and the Thunderbird has been a godsend to my bag as of recent. I used to use one of the first run stars but that disc thought it was a firebird, and I was so new at the time it made me dislike the thunderbird.

I'm glad I started bagging a 171g champ thundy. This thing for me flies such a predictable hyzer flight, skips just the right amount. If I really get ahold of my champ thunderbird it's always going 20' farther than I thought it could, they're sneaky long.

I just shot my best round at my home course last weekend and used the thunderbird for all but one of my backhand driver shots. can't say enough good things about it.

I tend to agree with the Thunderbird being the best overall driver at this moment in time. I think it would be even easier to agree that the bottom wing of the Thundie is far and away the best/most prolific bottom piece of any mold out there. Firebird, PD, OLF, thunderbird, FD3... take your pick. The best/most prolific top piece? Probably the anhyzer top.

By the way, really digging more recent star thunderbirds. Lower PLH than those beefier early runs, remind me very much of my favorite star teebirds.

This is like asking 'what's the best vehicle on the market' Drivers are made for so many different purposes it's impossible to say what's objectively the best.

That being said, I'll bite: the undertaker is the best driver on the market today. If I could only carry 1 driver, that would be it.

I throw gstar and champ thunderbirds and yes gstar does seem a bit less overstable than champ. For woods courses I prefer using a combo of gstar thunderbird and gstar firebird over anything champion because bad tree kicks are way less painful.

I liked the G* Thunderbird just fine. However, I'd still much rather bag the champion Thunderbird. For me the G* had some high speed turn and would bleed right occasionally. Champ stays straight no matter how hard I throw it. G* Thunderbird was also longer than the champion. Outstanding glide and penetration. More of an S curve flight too.

This threads kind of a foregone conclusion haha I should vote Teebird for one mold... history, utility, consistency blah blah... except for me though I love my 150s and the Teebird 150 isn't money... I'd toss my vote in for 155 Inertia if I was married to one disc for life and a putter... if I could pack a Comet the unique driver I couldn't live without is my 143g fission Photon.

I found a Champ Thunderbird once. It flew like a Z Pred with worse glide. :\

I'm going with the Cheetah (and Aviar)...for the naturally athletic of course.

This threads kind of a foregone conclusion haha I should vote Teebird for one mold... history, utility, consistency blah blah... except for me though I love my 150s and the Teebird 150 isn't money...

Have you tried a lightweight Champ Teebird? I have a 154 Champ Teebird that flies a country mile without giving up any stability. Maybe I got an exceptional one, but it definitely has all the Teebird goodness.

As for best driver, the Thunderbird argument makes sense, but at my armspeed a Teebird is longer and more versatile. So for me it's Teebird, or maybe Valk.

Perhaps I should have clarified a bit.... by best driver on the market I'm talking about guys who throw 400'+ regularly. I'm just impressed with the Thunderbird because I can throw it 400' with a perfectly flat throw (no high speed turn). Usually to get that kind of distance I'd need a disc to flex out quite a bit. The Thunderbird will produce laser straight 400' throws dead accurately.

Obviously a Thunderbird will be a glideless clunker at 300' power. Some random newb picking up a Thunderbird for the first time will probably think it stinks because it doesn't cater to noodle arms very well.

I will also discount any posts talking about throwing very lightweight discs. Thunderbirds probably don't come in light weight, nor should they. When throwing discs under 160g you tend to lose sight of what the disc was made to do in the first place. A 150 Thunderbird would be a flippy POS made to appease the noodle armed crowd. My point being, I don't think someone should say a Thunderbird ISN'T the best driver on the market when they say they only throw 150g discs.

That would be like me ONLY throwing a 149g blizzard Boss and saying Bosses suck because they're too flippy. To get an accurate representation of a mold you should throw it at something near max weight.

I will definitely buy the Eagle and Teebird arguments too. I actually like both of those molds a lot and I think they're very reliable drivers. I just think The Thunderbird is a bit more workable at high speed and capable of better glide and distance than either the Eagle or Teebird. Thunderbird is a legit distance driver while the Eagle and Teebird are fairway drivers.

Perhaps I should have clarified a bit.... by best driver on the market I'm talking about guys who throw 400'+ regularly. I'm just impressed with the Thunderbird because I can throw it 400' with a perfectly flat throw (no high speed turn). Usually to get that kind of distance I'd need a disc to flex out quite a bit. The Thunderbird will produce laser straight 400' throws dead accurately.

Obviously a Thunderbird will be a glideless clunker at 300' power. Some random newb picking up a Thunderbird for the first time will probably think it stinks because it doesn't cater to noodle arms very well.

I will also discount any posts talking about throwing very lightweight discs. Thunderbirds probably don't come in light weight, nor should they. When throwing discs under 160g you tend to lose sight of what the disc was made to do in the first place. A 150 Thunderbird would be a flippy POS made to appease the noodle armed crowd. My point being, I don't think someone should say a Thunderbird ISN'T the best driver on the market when they say they only throw 150g discs.

That would be like me ONLY throwing a 149g blizzard Boss and saying Bosses suck because they're too flippy. To get an accurate representation of a mold you should throw it at something near max weight.

I will definitely buy the Eagle and Teebird arguments too. I actually like both of those molds a lot and I think they're very reliable drivers. I just think The Thunderbird is a bit more workable at high speed and capable of better glide and distance than either the Eagle or Teebird. Thunderbird is a legit distance driver while the Eagle and Teebird are fairway drivers.

Actually, my distance driver is selected entirely on your reasoning here. Not which disc I throw furthest one out of three tries.

I will now challenge you, my choice is either a beat to almost straight, not pop-top SD (or patent# p-line) or a beat to straight pop-top Flow.
They both fly like slightly faster Thunderbirds (magical glide straight or slight hyzer) and should theoretically go a few feet further? :)

Sometimes I want to take out my beat in pearly flow instead of my straight fairway driver, in the woods, because I trust it to fly so straight.

6 pages in and no Firebird mentions? You people are animals.

Thundy is no good fo FH. Great disc and very useful, but not as versatile as some of you make it sound. I can use it just fine for some anny lines or easy low power flex, but the thing can't handle a full on forehand without turning. I've only thrown champ and champ glow so not a huge variety, but they were both mega OS Bh. Also, if Sexton could fit a thundy on the same lines he throws his FBs I doubt he would be using $150 discs as much as he does, just a thought.

PD is far to run dependent, which isn't all bad but there are a lot of PDs I don't like. Destroyers on the other hand are super run dependent, but almost all are useful for something. And you can't beat a flat firebird IMO. Alpha is my go to fairway for sure, pretty much 80% of my throws outside 260' are with some sort of alpha.

My top 3 drivers would be 1. Alpha 2.firebird 3. Destroyer right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't PD what you get if you destroy a firebird? :D

You can achive PD flight by beating a less flat Star or absolutely destroying the domey champ ones. But at that point I don't like them quite as much as I do a seasoned flat Champ.

I played a round last night with one of my seasoned flat champs, a Matrix and a King and still shot within 1 shot of my average for that course.

Firebirds are magical.