• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best putter that covers all shots

...I feel the bead is messing with me...
Is this the only thing that you don't like about Wizards?
If so then the Warlock is a fantastic non-beaded replacement. The Warlock is very slightly less HSS but still interchangeable.

The best Discraft option is the Challenger IMO. This also has a bead so you might be back in the same boat. I will say that the Challenger bead isn't as pronounced as the Wizard bead, at least not for my putting grip. I putt with a weird pinch/fan combination.

I've never thrown Wizards, so no idea how they compare, but for me Shields cover all duties well. I currently bag 5; VIP for drives, BT Hard/Soft for approach, 2x BT Medium for putting. I will say, a lot of people feel the Shield seems a little deep in the hand (I have giant hands and have never noticed this), but may be an option with checking out for you.

Bunch of wizards and a scale. Or go warlocks and a whatever the warlock version of a scale is.

You already throw the Breaker and Steady. What are those not doing for you?

I tried the steady. Don't throw it now because of how fragile the D plastic is. Still use the breaker for overstable duties only. Would never putt with it

I tried the challenger before and couldn't get used to the puddle tops. I did like them a little though.

Warlock seems like a good fit. I will def try one of those.

If you like wizards I'd say work with them and learn to love the bead.
There is always this...

I hated the bead on the Aviar soooooo much when I started I tried EVERYTHING else (which at the time was like five discs) to putt with. The BB Aviar seemed to catch on my finger during the release, so I did the usual "blame the disc" thing. I was putting with 86 Softies when I went minimalist with my bag. I couldn't drive an 86 Softie to save my life. I ended up sucking it up and using BB Aviars. I got used to it. The bead wasn't the issue, it was just that the disc was deep and I had to work out my release.

That being said, I love Warlocks. I didn't throw them becasue I had stacks of Wizards and Wizards are great. The Warlock just clicks with me more. I finally bit the bullet and bought a stack of Warlocks. I don't miss Wizards at all.

If you're looking for one mold to rule them all, and it has to be Discraft/DGA, then go with the Challenger. You can cover all stabilities with the different plastics available.

^If they do actually bring out a Proton Atom that would better fit his needs.

I disagree. Only because the Envy is the single best disc ever produced. You can beat one in to straight, and have fresh for more OS duties.

To the OP. I carry 3 Envies. One for putting, one for approaches and drives. and one for more OS approaches and drives.

That being said, I also carry 2 Proxies for driving, but my beat up putting Envy could replace the Proxies if I wanted to carry less.

In my full bag I also carry a Spin for turnover drives, and an Atom, just because I'm trying to beat it into a slightly more stable Spin for less exaggerated turnover drives. I also carry a Harp, which could be considered a putter, for more OS than Envy needs.

In my quick round bag, I drop all putters except my beat Envy and it can cover all the shots. Better than my Omega ever did for me.

I disagree. Only because the Envy is the single best disc ever produced. You can beat one in to straight, and have fresh for more OS duties.

To the OP. I carry 3 Envies. One for putting, one for approaches and drives. and one for more OS approaches and drives.

That being said, I also carry 2 Proxies for driving, but my beat up putting Envy could replace the Proxies if I wanted to carry less.

In my full bag I also carry a Spin for turnover drives, and an Atom, just because I'm trying to beat it into a slightly more stable Spin for less exaggerated turnover drives. I also carry a Harp, which could be considered a putter, for more OS than Envy needs.

In my quick round bag, I drop all putters except my beat Envy and it can cover all the shots. Better than my Omega ever did for me.
I was assuming the OP was looking for a disc that comes in premium and baseline, which is why I made that statement. Don't get me wrong I love the envy also.

Roach is beadless. I prefer beadless putters too. Used Pures for everything for a while and that worked well for me, Lat64 makes it in a variety of plastics.

If you want to stick to discraft/DGA I would venture to guess the challenger will be your best bet.

I am a little biased but I have never found anything that comes close to being as versatile as the discmania P2. In D line it is great for putting and throwing duties. Fresh they can handle a full power rip and go dead straight to slight fade. As they beat in they become even better. I bag 2 D lines one which is perfectly neutral and one that is slightly understable. The P line is a great putting putter and holds its stablilty for a long time. Finally either the s line or the C line ,luster or otherwise, are amazing OS throwers. They aren't zone stable by any means but they can confidently be thrown in wind and handle flex lines like no other.

I just recently did this myself, and settled on the P2 as my putter of choice. I bag x-lines for putting, and an s-line for driving/approaches. Fantastic disc that will cover most any shot.

I recommend trying it. I will say I was concerned because it is kind of deep, and I'm not usually a fan. I went for it anyway and loved it.

I do carry a Prodigy A-1 for hyzers, sidearm, and windy approaches. It isn't technically a putter but works mostly in the same range for me.

Sent from mobile via Tapatalk

I think Challenger is solid (D, jawbreaker, and FLX. I don't like the Z FLX Chally's I've thrown) for what the OP wants. But like others have said, I feel like it's just better to use different putters...

Pure could fit the bill but wouldn't be great if you want forehand possibilities. Envy wouldn't be my choice, as I strongly dislike the feel for putting (and forehand). Behaves more like a mid than a putter, in my estimation.

All that said, if you already have 6 wizards, maybe you should keep using 'em.

I just recently did this myself, and settled on the P2 as my putter of choice. I bag x-lines for putting, and an s-line for driving/approaches. Fantastic disc that will cover most any shot.

I recommend trying it. I will say I was concerned because it is kind of deep, and I'm not usually a fan. I went for it anyway and loved it.

I do carry a Prodigy A-1 for hyzers, sidearm, and windy approaches. It isn't technically a putter but works mostly in the same range for me.

Sent from mobile via Tapatalk

Ya, I picked up an S-line P2 one morning when I left my bag at home. Stuck an 80 foot approach that day and parked a lot of approaches, so I've been using it ever since for Drives and approaches. I just picked up a D-line and have been putting at my practice basket with it and really like it. Of course, I had just decided the Warden was my putting putter, so there is a conflict now that must be resolved ;)

This is a can of worms. There are tons of putters out there that can do it all. BUT to best answer the question. a Non-beaded putter that comes in multiple plastic options that can do it all and is nice.

From my experiences. I really dig the Pa series. Pa3 is beaded, so for unbeaded, Pa2 is fairly stable. There's 200, 300, 350, 350 light, 400 and likely 750

The REKO seems like a good putter, but i think theres only 1 or maybe 2 plastics.

Non beaded AVIAR.....there are TONNNNNNNNNNNNNS of them and theyre are unlimited options.

Last edited: