• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

Hah, nope. I was born in a town of 50k, don't remember much of it, though I still go back to visit the "big city" once in a while. I grew up in a town of 3,500 - went to college in a town of 3,500, then moved to a town of 500, currently live in a town of 66. Nowdays a trip to the big city is Red Wing - 16k.

How about Athol, Idaho?

I will be spending the summer at Farragut State Park, which has four separate courses rated 3.0, 3.5, 3.5 and 4.0. Within 30 miles there are three more courses rated 3.0 or better.

If you get tired of those you can scoot over to Spokane, WA (31 miles and 200,000+ population) which has six more courses rated 3.0 or better.

Gonna be a great summer...

You want small anywhere in Northern Idaho is small.
I haven't made it up to the Farragut area yet but I have heard nothing but great things. One of my buddies went up there for a week last summer and called it "disc golf heaven". He was bummed for about a week when he got back to the Boise area because our local courses didn't compare.

Has anyone mentioned Ludington, MI yet? :| :| :|

Ludington, MI.

/thread ;)

Leviathan (4.36), Beast (4.16) , Beauty (3.95), Goliath (4.05) with very nearby courses (just outside of town) in The Farm (5.00) and The Edge (3.4) and The Labyrinth (3.4).

All in and/or very very near to Ludington, MI...population 8,000ish.

Am I the only one who thinks that 50,000 people is still a pretty big city?

No that's actually the "rule" in regards to real estate.

The Census Bureau definitions which are based on population density, defines rural areas as all territory outside of Census Bureau-defined urbanized areas and urban clusters. *An urbanized area consists of a central surrounding areas whose population ("urban nucleus") is greater than 50,000. They may or may not contain individual cities with 50,000 or more; rather, they must have a core with a population density generally exceeding 1,000 persons per square mile. Urban areas only occupy 10 percent of the country. Rural areas occupy the remaining 90 percent

Fifty thousand is a pretty good cutoff point I think. Not a lot of choices fall under that but it's not exactly a scientific poll I guess. Tulsa though? That's got to be a few hundred thousand lol. Still see a lot of answers that say so and so course is not far. If it's not in city limits or just right outside say five miles or less can you really count it? You're asking more for which small town should I get a hotel room in and then spend time driving around to nearby courses. Not which small town has the best disc golf.

Still see a lot of answers that say so and so course is not far. If it's not in city limits or just right outside say five miles or less can you really count it? You're asking more for which small town should I get a hotel room in and then spend time driving around to nearby courses. Not which small town has the best disc golf.

I disagree to a certain degree. For example, it is a 25 minute drive for me to the nearest 18 hole course, even though it's only 6 miles away, so I think that having a radius of a half hour is quite reasonable. And I live in a relatively small city.

If I were to live in a smaller town, I would not consider a 20 or 30 minute drive to a good course unreasonable. If you lived in a large urban area, that would be considered a very short drive but somehow that same drive is an issue for a small city or town?

Menomonie, WI looks to be a pretty good DG base. City is ~16K and the whole county is under 50K. A p2p 21-holer rated just under four, a couple of 18s (one rated over three and another recently redesigned), plus two of the six best 9-hole courses listed on the DGCR "Top 9-Hole Courses" page (Brickyard has dual tees AND two permanent baskets per hole, so it can easily play like an 18). Eau Claire is about 30 minutes east, with two good 18-hole courses at Tower Ridge another 10 minutes east of Eau Claire. Plus, the Twin Cities are only an hour west.

I gotta agree with Saaber on this.
In coastal MS I've got a bootleg course a 5-minute bike ride away, but the closest real-basket course is 7 miles, which can take [depending on traffic] 12-25 minutes.

In Portland, the nearest course is 6 miles, but we usually elect to go to a course about 12 miles out, which winds up being a 20-25 min. drive.

Menomonie, WI looks to be a pretty good DG base. City is ~16K and the whole county is under 50K. A p2p 21-holer rated just under four, a couple of 18s (one rated over three and another recently redesigned), plus two of the six best 9-hole courses listed on the DGCR "Top 9-Hole Courses" page (Brickyard has dual tees AND two permanent baskets per hole, so it can easily play like an 18). Eau Claire is about 30 minutes east, with two good 18-hole courses at Tower Ridge another 10 minutes east of Eau Claire. Plus, the Twin Cities are only an hour west.

Totally agree on this one. How it slipped my mind is beyond me. I cut my teeth on Wakanda and the Brickyard. Went to college up there and the nice thing about these courses are that you could ride your bike to either one. And Towers being so close is another huge plus.

I disagree to a certain degree. For example, it is a 25 minute drive for me to the nearest 18 hole course, even though it's only 6 miles away, so I think that having a radius of a half hour is quite reasonable. And I live in a relatively small city.

If I were to live in a smaller town, I would not consider a 20 or 30 minute drive to a good course unreasonable. If you lived in a large urban area, that would be considered a very short drive but somehow that same drive is an issue for a small city or town?

Ok but that's one of the benefits of small town disc golf hot spots is you don't need to drive 30 minutes to a good course you can be there in 10 or less just like every other spot in town. If you're expanding the area to inside a thirty minute drive then you're not asking for which small town has the best disc golf you're asking which small radius inside thirty minutes has the best disc golf scene. If we're going that route then I still answer Emporia KS and now I can include another great course at Eisenhower State Park. :D

if everyone just wants to send me a crap ton of money then i will visit all of these towns and give a real answer to this question.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Bowers Park - spectacular wooded course, super technical
Palmore Park - open long arm course
Ol' Colony - newest course, mix of open & wooded holes

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Bowers Park - spectacular wooded course, super technical
Palmore Park - open long arm course
Ol' Colony - newest course, mix of open & wooded holes

Tuscaloosa population is just shy of 95k. And it has the university and nobody likes Bama.

Geaux Tigers!

^^^Oh, wait---you're an LSU fan!? Then I don't agree with you anymore, even though I don't like 'Bama either. Nor Georgia, or Ole Piss. :D :p

Last edited:
The wants are mildly unrealistic unfortunately.
I don't think they are at all. The suggestions I gave were mostly examples of smaller towns that aren't too far away from smaller cities with good courses. If the city gets too big then you have to get pretty far away to really be outside of the metro area and your drive will be closer to the hour range (Minneapolis/St. Paul is like this). However, if the city is smaller, like Des Moines or Madison, then you can find a small town environment withing a half hour of the city. I'm sure there are other areas like this, I'm just not familiar with them. You just need to find a smaller metro area (<500k or so) with a really good disc golf scene. There are almost always small towns located not too far away.