• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

saaber

Par Member
Not everyone wants to live in a big city or suburb. The best area/city for DG has been played out. What about the smaller places? What are some of the best towns/small cities under 50,000 for disc golf?

I'm not talking about suburbs either, people. I want to know about the best disc golf to be found in the lesser travelled areas. Places like Ludington, Michigan, with Flip City, Beauty/Beast/Goliath, Leviathan, Labyrinth...
Or Highbridge, Wisconsin. Or Pine, Co.

Lets not bring relative winter cold or summer heat into this either.

Best Towns/Small cities with at least three 3.5+ rated courses within a half hour drive.... Go!

Sounds like you already came up with a few good choices...

The Tahoe area is a good option. Traveled a lot but perhaps not as much as it should be for disc golf reasons. A bit spread out but lots of solid courses in that neck of the woods.

Bijou, Zephyr Cove, Turtle Rock, Kirkwood...Squaw.

Sure but those are the obvious places, with top-ranked courses. There must be quite a few other towns with really-good-but-not-great courses.

albert lea mn would be a good spot to live in. sounds like kind of what your lookin for

In iowa the waterloo/cf area, cedar rapids/ ia city area, and des moines. All three area are great with multiple courses that are above average.

I would vote for the Pine/Conifer Colorado area. The towns are very small and from what I've heard there are around 10 - 15 courses in the area. There's only 5 on this site but I've heard there's a ton a private courses popping up.

I would vote for the Pine/Conifer Colorado area. The towns are very small and from what I've heard there are around 10 - 15 courses in the area. There's only 5 on this site but I've heard there's a ton a private courses popping up.

A bit exaggerated, but there is 2 more that are private that aren't listed. Paulie (owner of Phantom Falls and designer of just about every course in the area) is a busy man with lots of friends!

Pine/Conifer has some amazing courses, and would be awesome to live there...if you are independently wealthy. Not a ton of work in the area, but it's not too far from Denver.

I would cast a vote for Colorado Springs, and not just because I live in Fountain (which is a suburb.) The Springs is big enough to have all the amenities of a big city, but small enough that you don't get lost in a big city life. There are four courses in the Springs, two in the suburbs, and 30 minutes from Jellystone. It's an hour to Denver and all their courses, and about an hour and a half to the Pine and Conifer area. Going south, you are 45 minutes from Pueblo which has two courses. There are plans for a few other courses in the Springs area, and a revised course on Ft. Carson.

There's a great club in town, and of course the Pine/Conifer area has the Foothill Flyers club. In Denver there is Mile High Disc Golf Club, which has tons of members and is very active.

Really anyplace in Colorado is a great place to live. Especially, given the recent law passage, if you enjoy recreational activities other than disc golf.

In iowa the waterloo/cf area, cedar rapids/ ia city area, and des moines. All three area are great with multiple courses that are above average.

Cedar Rapids would give you Wildcat Bluff and Shaver. Super fun courses!

Clemson, SC is pretty good and centrally located close to Grand Central Station, the Trails in Anderson, Shaver in Seneca, Easley, Walhala, Chattooga Belle and Timmons Park in Greenville.

Augusta, ME. population 19,000

19 courses within 25 miles including 8 4+ stars

Morristown, TN - three 18 holers in town of less than 25K. It's less than one hour from Knoxville and its solid courses (Morningside, Victor Ashe) to the west and Harmon Hills & Warriors Path (in the Kingsport area) to the east.

Manitowoc, WI (54220)

Silver Creek, Rollin' Ridge, Lower Cato Falls, Winter Park, LTC Cleveland, Jaycee Quarry Park all 3.0 or over within 25 miles, with 3 of them over 4.0. Vollrath falls JUST outside that circle. Nice area, for sure.

Emporia, KS!

Definitely! Less than 30,000 people and three courses within minutes that might all be rated 4 stars here. At least close to four. I haven't looked recently. The biggest retail brick and mortar disc golf store for numbers I believe. Disc Nation I've heard is pretty sweet plus they have a throwing range but going to DD and digging through box after box of discs is always a treat. Wonderful ran tournaments like the Monkey Island Open and my favorite of all time the GBO. A big local scene of players that are helpful to out of towners and hold several small tournaments, doubles, 4v4 matches, and bag tag challenges now. A town that genuinely supports the sport and helps to bring in players and big events. I've made my case. I'm pretty happy to live here and be a disc golfer. :clap: