• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best way to sell extras?

Stover

Par Member
So right now I have too many extra discs. I am tired of lugging the bins around so people can see if they want something at my local league and stuff. I will probably never throw any of them again, and if I want to, I can always just buy another.

So now I am trying to figure out the best way to get rid of them. Should I just put up one big lot on ebay? Or should I break them down into small lots of 3-10? If I break them into small lots should I just do mixed packages, or do lots of like 6 PDs / 8 Challengers(things like that)? Should I go with ebay, sites like this, or something like dollardiscgolf?

Any help from people that have dealt with selling stuff in the past would be appreciated. Also any tips on best methods of shipping would be nice.

I'll do lots on ebay if I have a bunch of cheap DX r beat-up Champ discs. It's easier to sell cheap discs by the lot, 'cause it cuts down on the S&H per disc.

I haven't had any luck selling premium discs by lot, 'cause the bargain hunters don't want to pay much for a lot. They assume it's all junk, because it's in a lot.

I hear the highest prices are on Facebook right now, but I adamantly refuse to open a Facebook account, so I'm just going on what I hear.

The next outlet is ebay, but you still have to pay a 9% commission.

Next best is probably the DGCR Marketplace, but whether or not you get a good price depends on how in-demand the disc is. Throwers are not getting much right now on the MP.

Last, take to the local PIAS, if you have one.

As far as shipping, USPS First Class in a bubble mailer is the best, easiest way that I've found to ship single discs. It usually runs me about $2.40 to ship a disc, plus the cost of the bubble mailer.

The above advice is not meant to be comprehensive, it's just a reflection on my experience.

Its the struggle man. I have tried everything from selling lots to selling pretty much new discs for $10 shipped. Everybody just wants to trade or get an insane deal.

I see a lot mention of people selling discs on Facebook. Where are they doing that?

Mostly in groups, usually closed ones where you have to request to be a part of it. If you search for Disc Golf Dollar Auctions, that's a good place to start. There are other groups that are a bit more specialized.

Dollar Disc Golf Auctions, Disc Golf Collector Exchange, Disc Golf Thrower Exchange, Innova Only Collector Group, Legacy Collector Group, Rhyno Conservation Page, WAY too many facebook pages, that's less than half of the pages I'm a member of...

For generic throwers, there really is no good way. Online market (ebay, facebook, DGCR, etc...) does not pay a whole lot for the discs. If you goal is to move a good chunk of them you will have to price them low, plus lose about $3 per disc in shipping. Personally, I use DGCR, but I price them at what I am willing to sell, not necessarily the market price. As a result, when I list 100+ discs, I generally only sell a dozen or so. By using the DGCR disc organizer, it is easy to keep track of the ones I have, list them, and keep pictures.

I don't do lots, but from what I have seen, the smaller / more specialized (all the same discs) the more you typically get per disc. If it is a bunch of random discs, you won't get much per disc.

Regarding shipping:

1 disc: As DiscJunkie said, bubble mailer USPS first class (mine this morning was $2.45 postage). I buy the bubble mailers from Sam's in bulk. They sell 25 for less than $10.

2 discs: USPS flat rate envelope

3 discs: Tough call. May depend on the zip code you are sending to. Package rate may be cheaper.

4+ discs: USPS flat rate box

Last edited:
if there are courses and players in your area, craigslist is another option - cuts down on shipping costs and you can move some plastic face to face. I have had some success selling a few this way.

Also, I'd recommend not selling off discs you kept in the bag for a significant amount of time - down the road, you may find a spot for it again

I'm in a similar spot - 12 in the bag, 12 that sometimes see the bag and a bunch that won't ever see the course.

Can you get a tax write off from donating discs? I've seen several threads on here about people starting high school clubs looking for cheap plastic or ideas about what discs they should buy.

Can you get a tax write off from donating discs? I've seen several threads on here about people starting high school clubs looking for cheap plastic or ideas about what discs they should buy.

Yes, but only if the club/organization you are donating it to is a 501(c)(3).

I keep trying to get onto the collectors exchange one and my requests just never get approved. Is that one not active anymore or something?

The local VA has a course here in my area, ive donated a lot to them over the years. Unsure if you have something similar in your area.. worth a look. Nothing like giving back to the military men and women of M'erica!!

I usually get rid of my extras here or trade with local acquaintances. I just tried the FB thing for the first time last week. Dude won a disc from me for a steal (10/10 Stormtrooper Axis for $12 shipped). Claimed he sent the paypal (I never got it), I told him and he canceled the payment then blocked me and never resent $ (he said he was going to resend from his buddy's computer the next day). I kept in constant communication with him until I got blocked.

Waited a week, relisted it here along with another disc, and sold both within 5 hours ($30 shipped for both).

I feel like there are more trustworthy people around here and the pricing is fair.

Its the struggle man. I have tried everything from selling lots to selling pretty much new discs for $10 shipped. Everybody just wants to trade or get an insane deal.

exactly. it's funny to watch items 8/10 sit at 11$. people are greedy, but don't give in and lower your prices just to move items unless you need. you know your value, stick to it.

i prefer to sell here or on FB. the prospect of ebay is a little daunting for me and i have nothing collectible so i doubt they'd move fast.

if i'm selling in lots though? oh man; i get a big shoebox and MOVE those things. i sold 7 or 8 wizards, can't remember which, for 45$ just the other week. bottom line is i want'em GONE and i want some cash.

Thanks for all the responses.

To answer one persons question none of these have been in the bag or will go back in the bag. Most are discs that I have won in our league, bought cause they were new and wanted to try them out, or just don't throw anymore. My bag has been pretty stable for the last 2 seasons now. And I am keeping multiple back ups for each disc for the rotating process.

Overall it seems that I had the right feeling, and that's that there isn't a good way to get rid of all of them. I guess I'll just have to set up shop at the top of my course on the busy days and try to sell some off. The other problem that I have is that there is pretty much nothing that I want. I already have 1-3 back ups for pretty much every disc in my bag.

Easiest way is let me know what your selling haha, honestly the forums on here are good as long as your not trying I make a profit.

I've sold over $700 worth of stuff in the past 6 months on Facebook auctions. Go where the money and the crazy people are. I mean, $25 for a Vibram mini??? I love it!!!!