• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BEWARE Discgolfcenter.com

companies focused on total quality management and the idea of zero defects are unhappy when they exceed 3.4 defects per million, there have been 4 on this page alone. Quality is important not only to customers but a businesses bottom line.

You are right about that in general, but I think your 3.4ppm stat is more applicable to automated manufacturing than manual order-fulfillment. Kaizen anyone? :)

What makes things hard about order fulfillment with discs is the manufacturers do not ship them with UPC stickers. So, it is hard and expensive to have a system with good quality control (using scanners and the like). To accomplish great quality in picking, you would have to catalog each disc individually and have a unique code for each disc that could be scanned. This is necessary since there are typically very few discs in a given shipment that are of the same mold-plastic-color-stamp-weight combination.

This cataloging would have to be done error-free of course to make the picking error-free. To add to that, around 15% of the male population is color-blind and much more than that are color-impaired. Additionally, the weights are hand marked by the manufacturer with ball-point on each disc, so that adds to the possibility for sloppy handwriting causing errors.

Bottom line, you gotta cut the retailers a little slack. Like someone pointed out, if you approach customer service with a little graciousness and give them the benefit of the doubt, chances are they will treat you very courteously. After all, they are most likely part of the same universal disc golf fraternity that you are!

GottaGoGottaThrow has always been very good to me.

I have ordered from Zone Driven (IE Direct from Innova) now going throw Disc Golf U, I'm assuming it is the same just nothing going threw zone driven site any more. One time they sent me the wrong package, one with a bunch of 150 class disc. The guy I talked to was very nice and for the mistake he throw in a free Black Star Cro with a Rainbow stamp and an autographed picture of Schultz and Climo.

I've had good service with dgc as well. The only thing that bothered me last time I ordered, was that the champion disc wasn't as clear as it should have been in the center, it seemed to have some kind of milky coating. To me, it should have been sold as a factory second.
You could try www.discgolfstore.com, I had no issues with them last time I ordered.
I guess you always run some kind of risk when you order a disc online, vs buying local.

Also have never had a problem with DGC. Many orders. Gotagogotathrow is also top of the line. I did send DGC an email about 2 weeks ago asking if they planned on selling a particular disc and have still not gotten an answer.

You are right about that in general, but I think your 3.4ppm stat is more applicable to automated manufacturing than manual order-fulfillment. Kaizen anyone? :)

agreed, it was more a statement about the importance of quality control and the focus that many companies put on it. Although the 3.4 defects per million my not translate completely in this context I think every company needs to focus on removing as many variables as possible that lead to poor operational standards.

I see your point about this industry having a different/unique set of circumstance that make certain jobs expensive and difficult. I would however argue that this is a situation where a company has a chance to use creative thinking to solve these problems.

I've used DGC for all of my online orders, and they've been fantastic to me. All but two of my orders, I got exactly the weight and color I asked for. On one, they called immediately after I placed the order online, and let me know that there was a mistake online and they didn't have it in stock. They already had alternatives picked out, one of which was the same color and 1g heavier, so no issue there for me. The other one, there was a mixup between two orders that happened at the same time online, so I got a receipt for my discs and someone else's order. I emailed about it right away, and went to bed. When I woke up, there was an email apologizing for the mistake (which didn't really affect me since I hadn't been charged, and nothing had been shipped yet), and letting me know they had already corrected it and shipped my discs by a faster method to make up for it. Everyone there I've dealt with has been fantastic, it's too bad to hear others haven't had the same experience.

Me too, but I've never had to deal with DGC's customer service. Just because they ship promptly and get orders right doesn't mean they behave properly when things don't go well.

Bingo. Not one single issue with any of the orders I've placed so far. No wrong colors. No wrong weights. Nothing out of stock when it shouldnt' be. Fast shipping always.

For me, its the only place to go unless proven otherwise.

I've had good experiences with DGC, sorry yours wasn't.
The best customer service I've encountered so far has to be Marshall Street hands down. They way they've communicated with me has kept me a repeat customer of theirs.

Ive ordered about 10 discs off dgc. Besides a few grams off on weights which isnt a big deal, I once got and "x-out" champion tee bird when I ordered a regular one. I called them to tell about the mistake and they said all they could do for me was give me a $1.00 back on my debit card, because he said they sell their x'outs for $1 cheaper. Not exactly what I wanted but atleast I got a dollar back :rolleyes:.

But it dosnt matter anymore because that teebird found its nest at the bottom of a phantom black swamp. I still wonder to this day if the reason I lost that disc was because I looked at the X on the bottom of the disc right before I threw it :eek::cool:.

Ive ordered from DGC, DGV, Prime Discs and Marshall street....All have went well, Steve at prime has had some mixups with my orders before but they weren't that bad, if they don't have a color they just send you a color close to it and give you a voucher for a new disc! He also has helped me alot with orders that Ive placed and wanted to change something or add an item (like a shirt after I get 5 discs and didn't add one) Marshall street has also been great at customer service...when I was starting out they CALLED me about a lightening glow pack that I ordered online and said that there online service for that item sucked and so we went through the order over the phone and got me exactly what I wanted! Prime and Marshall are virtually the same people, just prime doesn't pay shipping! (they are 2 different owners but located close to each other)

Thats why I dont buy plastic online.

What makes things hard about order fulfillment with discs is the manufacturers do not ship them with UPC stickers. So, it is hard and expensive to have a system with good quality control (using scanners and the like). To accomplish great quality in picking, you would have to catalog each disc individually and have a unique code for each disc that could be scanned. This is necessary since there are typically very few discs in a given shipment that are of the same mold-plastic-color-stamp-weight combination.

This cataloging would have to be done error-free of course to make the picking error-free. To add to that, around 15% of the male population is color-blind and much more than that are color-impaired. Additionally, the weights are hand marked by the manufacturer with ball-point on each disc, so that adds to the possibility for sloppy handwriting causing errors.

Bottom line, you gotta cut the retailers a little slack. Like someone pointed out, if you approach customer service with a little graciousness and give them the benefit of the doubt, chances are they will treat you very courteously. After all, they are most likely part of the same universal disc golf fraternity that you are!
Are we going to thread jack and start discussing Toyota Production System?

Have at it! You're on your own :)

Maybe for less of a thread jack we can do a comparative analysis of order-fulfillment accuracy at the McDonalds drivethru and online DG retailers. Which is worse - a fortune 500 company or DGC?

Just out of curiosity, why was the disc returned to them? Was it DGC's fault it sat in a post office somewhere for 30 days?

Anybody know where discgolfstation ships from? The last time I ordered from DGC it took like 6 days when it use to take 3 for them to mail a disc to me.

The thread kinda took a different spin, but...

Discgolfstation ships out of Fort Worth, TX.

Disc'n dat online is a small retailer in NKY. I am lucky because i can drive there and buy discs from him but i would also garauntee he would take care of you for online orders. He is disc golfer and he runs tourneys and has just about any disc you can imagine. Really great guy that has helped me on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
Over 17 orders with DGC.com I haven't had any issues that Wade hasn't corrected to my satisfaction. One of my early orders from them was for a Quic'Stic'. After you complete a DGC.com order they have a very short survey and in the dislikes section I'd written: "Quic'Stic' price was more than direct from manufacturer, but less overall when shipping cost was factored in." Wade responded to me and said that the price on the DGC.com website was an error and he credited my credit card back $2.

He said that he didn't want to send it to me anymore and that he wanted to sell it to someone else so that they didn't have to pay shipping again.

In a heated exchange things can be said that don't make much sense, but why would Wade say he didn't want to pay shipping again? He's gonna have to pay shipping again no matter who gets the disc.... :confused:

Regardless, it sucks that you had a bad experience with them. If you're looking for alternates I highly recommend Prime Discs. I also have a long and good history of ordering from them.