• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Western Road Trip 2013!

Dan H.

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm planning on a DG oriented road trip in the spring that will go from OKC to San Fransisco and back. I'm totally excited! I'll be bringing hopefully at least 2 friends with me. I would like to hit the best courses throughout the trip and circle around a little North through Kansas City on my way back. I would like to make the trip in less than 1.5 weeks. So, I'd like to probably just play 1-2 courses per day. We will probably mostly stay at cheap hotels and possibly do some camping. Not sure if this will work but here are the links to the road trip I am aiming for through DGCR.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtrips.php?mid=9944&tid=1890

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/roadtrips.php?mid=9944&tid=1891
Give me your input! Please let me know if I'm missing any really good courses on the way. Big thanks in advance! Also, if you are friendly, I'd love to have tour guides for each course/area!

Last edited:
Hey, Dan! Stop C, Albuquerque, New Mexico @ Baca Memorial. Good choice! Id be happy to show you around that course, or recommend other courses near your route.
Any idea on dates? Sounds like fun!

Haha well, that is actually the only course out West of Oklahoma that I HAVE already played. I love that course and decided I needed to play it again. It would still be great if you want to join us. Not exactly sure on the dates yet. It will probably be in April I think.

Skip SKY-Vu in Ellis, KS on the way back and play Frontier Park in Hays instead. Don't let the ratings fool you. Frontier is a solid 4.0 course once you take away the sourpuss reviewers who got lost after Hole 6, or spent the majority of their review complaining about manure, loud music, and "dangerous" throws over roads that barely carry any traffic (the parking lot on Hole 7 might be the one legit beef). Admittedly, it has some orientation problems for first timers, and signage is lacking, but there's a map in the files section.

Thomas Park in Salina, would be the other recommendation. It's also underrated due to sourpusses who don't like wooded courses. Again, printing out a map is recommended.

Thanks for that input, Scarpfish! I sounds like we have similar taste in courses.

Homemade Lovin', I'll check it out and let you know when we will pass through. I appreciate the info, guys!

You should look into going north from SF. There are alot of great courses in the Humboldt area, including Birds Of Paradise (Martin D's favorite out of more than 1000 courses played).

If you play bailey, you have to play beaver ranch conifer park, magic meadows nd phantom phalls

Honestly, if you are making this a truly DG-oriented trip, you need to skip Bakersfield. Instead, keep going on I-15 South to I-210 and hit Pasadena (Oak Grove, first course ever) and Sylmar (Veteran's Park, home of the Ricos/Legacy Discs). You could still hit Bakersfield on the way back up north...

You're skipping Delaveaga? Really?

...or take 101 North from the L.A. area and hit DeLa/Santa Cruz and Monterey courses on the way to SF. If you are making a once-in-a-lifetime trip like this, Pasadena and Santa Cruz have to be the stops in California.

AWESOME! Thanks so much for the input, guys! I'll make the changes to my plans soon. This is going to be an incredible trip!

The south leg of your trip I can't help much, but the North leg I am quite familiar with.

As others have said, you might hit Santa Cruz, If I had to pick 2 to play again, I'd probably go with Dela and Black Mouse. I'd focus on the courses around SF and Tahoe before Sacramento, SF I'd recommend Stafford and Golden Gate (I also hear skyline can't be missed). My favorite in Tahoe was Kirkwood followed by Tahoe Regional.

Solitude is a good choice, (depends on how early in "spring" you're talking, the ski mountains might still be buried in snow, look into it), after that I'd drop down to moab and camp out at base camp. You might hit something on your way across colorado, CMC glenwood or one of the mountain courses could be fun.

Then I'd focus on the Denver area over red feather lakes, but if you're set on heading up there I'd play both courses. You've got Bailey, you might as well hit Conifer and Phantom (MM sounds nice too), that's two full days, there's plenty of camping in the national forest not too far from Bailey.

^the above I'd make a priority over anything east, a "western" road trip should focus on the west, being from okc KS could be a weekend trip any time - on KS, the locals will know more than I, nothing stands out as a must play to me until you get to KC, then your options are unlimited. Waterworks is a good choice, Paradise isn't a bad option, especially if you're needing a campground too, but you can focus on the city courses, Rosedale won't disappoint.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I can field questions on road tripping in general and anything related to playing disc golf on the road.

Tahoe area is usually covered in snow until May. Kirkwood is generally only open July through October. The Auburn - Grass Valley - Penn Valley triangle is your best bet in Spring. Shady Oaks, though a fun course, is called shady for a reason. Another alternate route would be to take Carson Pass over the Sierra and hit Mollie Joyce and Turtle Rock.

Dan,
I'm a big fan of the some of my local DG courses, so here is what I would do if this is your one and only opportunity out this way to the Bay Area. You really need 4 days (or more).

Day 1 - If you're going to play Auburn, you should really try to play Condon Park and Hanging Oaks too as suggested already. They are all about 20 minutes apart so you can play all three in a day. Gregg Barsby lives in Grass Valley and plays Condon all the time, and I have a buddy of mine who plays with him sometimes, so depending on his schedule you could maybe play a round with him if interested. All three are really fun courses IMO, and make for a fun day up in the foothills. Plenty of camping spots and reasonable motels up there too.

Day 2 - On your drive down to SF area, I would definitely play Shady Oaks and then play Skyline in Napa. You can camp right at Skyline for cheap (they have bathrooms too), great food is nearby, hit a winery or two if that appeals to you too.

Day 3 - Drive over to Stafford in the morning and have an epic round. Then drive south to SF and play Golden Gate Park around 1pm on a weekday so it's not crowded. Drive down to Santa Cruz and camp out in antipation...

Day 4 - Play DeLaveaga for 4 hours or so, grab lunch, then hit up one of the Monterey courses. Both Ryan Ranch and Pinto Lake are fun.

Day 5 - drive down to SoCal and hit up Lake Casitas on the way...

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you want to meet up or want further details on any of the in and outs of the courses, good food spots, etc. I play Napa and Stafford regularly, and my in-laws live in Grass Valley so I play all the courses up there a few times a year as well.

Tim S.

Last edited:
Dan, just read this thread and while it didn't sink in last night when you asked, this sounds like a must for me to join you. I'll tentively (assuming that what I told you doesn't interfere) commit to this trip. Sounds like a lot of fun and I'm not getting any younger. ;)

D

Another thought for the L.A. area - depending on how late in the spring you are going and how much snowfall there was - is to camp at Table Mountain and hit up Sky High Disc Golf at Wrightwood. If there is no snow, you'll have a blast and can easily hit Pasadena in the same day. Just throwing another option out there. You've got plenty of choices!