• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Ace Pot Ever?

CrazieJ

A few years ago I collected a "Super Ace Pot" in Salt Lake City. to get into the ace pot, the cost was $5 and there was no cap on the payout. After some time, maybe a month or more, the pot got so big and started to compound fast as it attracted more and more people from all over including myself. I hit the ace and took home $2000. I have not heard of an ace pot payout bigger than this before or since. Have you?

We had a "Super Pool" from the Motor City Chain Gang that got hit for somewhere in the area of $2200. Kensington metro park's winter league regularly pushes close to or over $1000.

I remember reading about the 21 Hole Salute a couple of years ago: $5000 if I read that right. Not sure if it was hit, though...

Wow. Those are some big scores! Impressive.

The only ace pool that comes even close to that in the LA area is the one at the Monday weekly at Verdugo Hills DGC. It's gotten up to $500 a few times, but gets capped at that level so the TD can build up the next ace pool. The Verdugo track is on a par three ball course with no hole longer than ~400' and therefor offers plenty of ace chances for most (not me, of course) and the pool gets won quite frequently, with it getting split between two players a few times too.

Great weekly tournament, in my view. Props to Gary Sandoval who runs it.

I heard before, not sure if true, that a few places in Tx get over a grand regularly and touring pros show up to try and clear them out.

The Arlington Disc Golf Association has ours capped at $500, but combined with a 'local to the DFW area' "traveling ace pot" it can and has reached over a thousand a few times. I got to see someone hit it for $1200 not too long ago.

Ours is approaching $500 but to win the whole thing you gotta put in $5 a week. The way it's set up now, you can choose how much to put in each week. A $1 submission will earn $100 for an ace while a $2 submission would earn $200 and so on...

Maybe one of the Dayton, OH guys can come in here an elaborate, but they have a super ace fund up there that I think costs $20 to get into. I think it is a one time fee, though Ive never gone up there for dubs nights personally, but have heard about it from several people.

I remember playing doubles at Mount Airy in Cincinnati a few years back. I was out of town and had never played the course before. I put in for the ace fund which was over $300 and nearly hit one. It rattled the chains but didn't stick. I'm pretty sure the league put a cap on how much non-members could win after that. I could very well see how an out-of-towner coming in and taking the money from locals could be frowned upon!

The Arlington Disc Golf Association has ours capped at $500, but combined with a 'local to the DFW area' "traveling ace pot" it can and has reached over a thousand a few times. I got to see someone hit it for $1200 not too long ago.

Was that Frazier hitting the ace at the Jimmy Porter mini? I was there when he hit it blind on hole 4. People were still putting out on the basket. I know it was close to a grand and had about 80 people out for a couple weeks straight trying for it.

The largest I've seen get hit was a local course ace pot and a traveling ace pot (TAP). The guy took home about 1300-1500 since the TAP was being played for at two courses that same day.

Quick question for you all. If you hit the ace pool on doubles night what do you give your partner? Assume nothing has been discussed beforehand. No agreement to split it or anything.

Quick question for you all. If you hit the ace pool on doubles night what do you give your partner? Assume nothing has been discussed beforehand. No agreement to split it or anything.

Always split, I figured it was one of those unwritten rules.

IMHO, I have always thought that ace pots should always be capped at $100 and the rest of the funds should be held in a reserve account for the club to use for installing new courses, improving existing courses, showing stakeholders such as municipalities with property that clubs are serious about paying for baskets or have the municipality match the club funds for courses. Too many clubs (many of these people that complain about not having courses and everything else in the area do not even pay property taxes as they do not own real property) seem to think their local municipality should foot the bill for everything including maintenance instead of coming to the table with money and a documented plan from someone in the club with business sense.

I remember playing doubles at Mount Airy in Cincinnati a few years back. I was out of town and had never played the course before. I put in for the ace fund which was over $300 and nearly hit one. It rattled the chains but didn't stick. I'm pretty sure the league put a cap on how much non-members could win after that. I could very well see how an out-of-towner coming in and taking the money from locals could be frowned upon!

The club no longer runs the dubs at Mt Airy. It is now ran by The Nati Disc Golf Shop and there is no cap for locals or out of towners. We had a bunch of guys from Dayton down here this year when the singles night pot was over $800.

Last edited:
I took home 1175 this year at Crowley. Was 1350 when I hit it but someone hit a non "travel" ace so we split the 350. It's had a few hit over 1000 this year and think 1600 something. But I remember hearing someone like two years ago hitting just over 2k in north Fort Worth.

I like the idea of a traveling ace pot, but all of these options just sounds too complicated!

Rather than a cap on the winnings, I prefer the idea of just withholding something from the total to have a few $$ to keep the pot from becoming totally empty.

Reserving cash for club funds is a great idea, but I'm not going to put into an ace pot if I know that not all of it will be returning to someone's pocket for hitting the shot. If the club needs cash, just scrape off a buck from the entry fee or have a separate pot for that.

IMHO, I have always thought that ace pots should always be capped at $100 and the rest of the funds should be held in a reserve account for the club to use for installing new courses, improving existing courses, showing stakeholders such as municipalities with property that clubs are serious about paying for baskets or have the municipality match the club funds for courses. Too many clubs (many of these people that complain about not having courses and everything else in the area do not even pay property taxes as they do not own real property) seem to think their local municipality should foot the bill for everything including maintenance instead of coming to the table with money and a documented plan from someone in the club with business sense.
Ace pot should be for aces only. A club maintenance fee/or league fee is for what you are talking about

Rather than a cap on the winnings, I prefer the idea of just withholding something from the total to have a few $$ to keep the pot from becoming totally empty.
Only making half of the money available to be paid out for an ace is a common practice around here. Provides the fun of a progressive pot without the fear of the whole thing being drained. To me, its a much better practice than capping.

Latest posts