• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blueberry just tied Flip City!

Exactly. A course that is too easy for scooter would have a chance of pimp slapping me. So it's also the view from where you are coming that has an affect on your opinion of a course.

This!

Also Scarp was pretty much spot on if you ask me.

Actually, I can see PA Frolfer's point on everything he has said except the actual rating of Flip. Ain't nohow's that that course is "average." Give it a 4 1/2, even a 4, but 3 discs is just criminal.

You are right - the course is not average. But a 3 rating is not just average.....

PA Frolfer I would suggest you get down to Deer Lakes before you bash Pitt area DG....Moraine is also an amazing "tournament course" I would also suggest Pymatuning as a local course closer to Erie....very underrated course.

Oh I didn't mean to generalize Pitt to Knob Hill - I will make sure to play Deer Lakes and Moraine. I have heard Pymatuning has some navigation and baskets problems on the front nine. Thoughts on that?

Hornet's Nest was one of the best tournament courses, and it's not even in the top 200.

There are lots and lots and lots of awesome courses.

But it is for sure in the top 50..........AT WORST

Another reason I don't care about course ratings on the site as much as others...

This is why this site needs a place where players can list their played list.....along with their personal ratings/rankings/grades for those courses (without having to write a review).

If we had that, I would not have made 100-200 cut-and-paste "reviews". I wanted to get my list up here so that like minded players could benefit from it. I realized that my metrics for grading courses are different than many others, so I was as clear as I knew how in describing it (in my reviews and in my profile). I happened to rate Idlewild only a 3.5 on my scale, for goodness sake!

I would love to see that sort of list from scoot_er.....and from everyone who has say 50 courses or more played. There is nothing much you can add after a course has been reviewed 10 times, but this banter is very interesting and can go on forever!

I am MUCH more interested in scoot_er's top 10 list than DGCR's.

Last edited:
Eventually, Tim will probably make a designation using rated player's rankings of courses; probably similar to trusted reviewers; but based on player ratings. Overall ratings of courses will eventually catch up to what these plays would rate. Good courses are good courses; regardless of who's playing them. However, once high rated players come more into the equation; the debates will be pages long threads about that one tree 320 ft. down the fairway, etc. :) Most of us will find such discussions to be trivial. :)

Good courses are good courses; regardless of who's playing them.

This is true. BUT......to be great, a course needs to chose who he wants to be. A great course for beginners is different than for recreational players for Blue level tournament types, or for Gold level.

This site rates the courses highest that re the best for a wide variety of people.....favoring the recreational player since they are the majority here and they cast the most votes.

There is NOTHING wrong with that......but it would be v.nice to do more with the wealth of data to make it accessible if and when users would want it.

Eventually, Tim will probably make a designation using rated player's rankings of courses; probably similar to trusted reviewers; but based on player ratings. Overall ratings of courses will eventually catch up to what these plays would rate. Good courses are good courses; regardless of who's playing them. However, once high rated players come more into the equation; the debates will be pages long threads about that one tree 320 ft. down the fairway, etc. :) Most of us will find such discussions to be trivial. :)

You rated Snow Farm a 4???????

I can see it but I really can't and am so glad there are never any Pro events there.

This is true. BUT......to be great, a course needs to chose who he wants to be. A great course for beginners is different than for recreational players for Blue level tournament types, or for Gold level.

This site rates the courses highest that re the best for a wide variety of people.....favoring the recreational player since they are the majority here and they cast the most votes.

There is NOTHING wrong with that......but it would be v.nice to do more with the wealth of data to make it accessible if and when users would want it.

I know I am coming in on this after more than 20 pages, but I agree with this^. There is a short 9 hole course in my home town that I don't like to play because it is simple and short, but I know many people that love it. They like the fact that they don't have to be good to have a good time and they also love that they can bring the kids and let them play a real course.

I'll also add that these type of people won't likely search the internet for a course when they are going somewhere.

You rated Snow Farm a 4???????

I can see it but I really can't and am so glad there are never any Pro events there.

Isn't there a fairly large doubles event held at Snow Farm? What would you rate Scoot_er; and why? Give us an informal review. It's really quite tough to rate a course played one time. However, I think on traveling player's agenda; this should be a stop. I noted I thought most gold level players would give it a 3.5 (or less, really); but, I have to compare with other courses I've given a 3.5. Kind of ends up putting you in a bind....the comparison thing....Should also be noted that when traveling; if the course ends up in a good light; it probably gets .5 extra, than if it were a course played more often. Most reviews I think about quite a while; this one I didn't so much; I come back to many and alter ratings slightly.

Playing Devil's advocate here:

So if Scooter, for example, is in the top 1% or so of all DGers skill-wise, does his opinion count less than, say, mine (I'm a sucky noob casual player) because more players can relate to my skill level?

Or does Scooter's opinion count more because he is highly skilled and knows what the best 1% in the game would like, dislike, etc. regardless of what the masses prefer?

Some combination of the two?

So if Scooter, for example, is in the top 1% or so of all DGers skill-wise, does his opinion count less than, say, mine (I'm a sucky noob casual player) because more players can relate to my skill level?

Or does Scooter's opinion count more because he is highly skilled and knows what the best 1% in the game would like, dislike, etc. regardless of what the masses prefer?

I don't really care what other people think of a course. I'll try a course because it is rated highly, but i'll go back because I like it.

I think all of you guys that have played tourys should list your player rating to give review readers a way to decipher what your review might mean to them. If you say it's hard and you are a 1000 rated player then I probably want no part of it, unless I just have to bag it.:p mainly, if I and others consider it epic with a variety of shots and terrain, then it's worth the beat down. If it's mainly open and 10000 ft. long, then I will take a pass.

Last edited:

That tree 320 down the fairway would most likely be no problem.... on my 2nd shot.

Lots of "good" players I know simply have a high PDGA rating because they play prescribed event at easy and familiar courses. They're afraid to play something challenging because it could hurt they're rating. I don't much care for how good you are relative to your reviews of courses. Goes for you too Scooter - sorry. I do however appreciate reviews from anyone who has played a lot of courses - casually, not just tournament play.

Lots of "good" players I know simply have a high PDGA rating because they play prescribed event at easy and familiar courses. They're afraid to play something challenging because it could hurt they're rating. I don't much care for how good you are relative to your reviews of courses. Goes for you too Scooter - sorry. I do however appreciate reviews from anyone who has played a lot of courses - casually, not just tournament play.

You only care about people reviews of Winter Park or if a 5 gets thrown out to someone who might pass Winter Park . . . oh I shouldn't have said that because your self promotion has diminshed tremendously in the last 6 months or so.

I am just kidding around, but I had written you off for a few months because of how often Winter Park got mentioned in other threads, it just got annoying. Its nice to have you back as a civil member of the DGCR family!

Isn't there a fairly large doubles event held at Snow Farm? What would you rate Scoot_er; and why? Give us an informal review. It's really quite tough to rate a course played one time. However, I think on traveling player's agenda; this should be a stop. I noted I thought most gold level players would give it a 3.5 (or less, really); but, I have to compare with other courses I've given a 3.5. Kind of ends up putting you in a bind....the comparison thing....Should also be noted that when traveling; if the course ends up in a good light; it probably gets .5 extra, than if it were a course played more often. Most reviews I think about quite a while; this one I didn't so much; I come back to many and alter ratings slightly.

Snow Farm is a great private course, but the baskets are rough at best and the tee box areas aren't great to throw from. Plus, you have some real winding walks that would be very difficult to navigate without the map. I do like the fact that there are alternate tees, but I think for courses that get past a four rating need to be either more polished or have something that you walk away from saying wow.

Snow Farm is fun, and there is a huge mixed doubles tourney that is held there each year, but it wouldn't go much past a four in my opinion. Course - I'm not a 1000 rated player either, so to each their own! :p

TX State Am doubles takes place there but it no longer hosts Pros and hasn't ever since I can remember. The guy who runs Pro dubs hates Snow Farm and although it has plenty of potential it just isn't that great at the moment.

The baskets are rough and the Tees aren't the best as what noted earlier and in reality the design is much better then the course itself (if that makes any sense).

It is a great place to party and get wasted but I would rate it a 3.25 if we could. With some work it could be a 4 but right now it isn't there..........and the owner is an old-schooler who has no plans to change anything up in the near future.

With that said there are 5-6 pretty sweet holes and only a few bad ones (3-4) but the rest are just decent and don't add anything to the rating IMO.

Yea Climo just plays events where he knows he can get a good rating.........lol

I know what you are saying but I don't think having your rating listed would hurt the system in any way and could give perspective to a person's reviews.

I rarely play casually anymore since I am an hour from a course but when I did it was pretty much a full-time thing including a lot of the STL courses and the bigger ones in the midwest.

Des Moines is a prime place if you ask me.....moreso than anywhere else based just off the courses.

I don t really think pdga ratings mean too much...it will still come down to preference....dont get me wrong I like when someone mentions what kind of player they r in a review but I can assure u that better players have their pet peeves as well...some prefer tight woods some prefer more open.....thats all relative to what each is used too. I would rather there just be a designation for each course that each reviewer can check...expert level/ avg/ recreational/beginner or something like that....PDGA stats would discriminate against reviewers who dont share their info because they prefer to be anonymous or would discount reviewers like me who are not regular tourney players

I don't much care for how good you are relative to your reviews of courses. Goes for you too Scooter - sorry. I do however appreciate reviews from anyone who has played a lot of courses - casually, not just tournament play.

I don t really think pdga ratings mean too much...it will still come down to preference....dont get me wrong I like when someone mentions what kind of player they r in a review but I can assure u that better players have their pet peeves as well...some prefer tight woods some prefer more open.....thats all relative to what each is used too. I would rather there just be a designation for each course that each reviewer can check...expert level/ avg/ recreational/beginner or something like that....PDGA stats would discriminate against reviewers who dont share their info because they prefer to be anonymous or would discount reviewers like me who are not regular tourney players

I partially agree with what you guys are saying. But, it sounds to me like you are saying that PDGA ratings are the end-all.....and as such are larger than life.

That is not the case - they are one extra and mostly meaningful data point to help understand where someone is coming from. Just like years played or courses played. There are some players that have played many years and still have the form of a noob and others who have play 6 months and are already playing like a good Advanced player (Blue level). If someone has played 60 courses and they are all in the Chicago area, their perspective will not be very good.

listing PDGA ratings would be quite helpful IMO. "Narrow fairways" or "long holes for the sake of being long" have vastly different meanings coming from a 780 rated player than an 880 rated player and both of those than from a 980 rated player.

Latest posts