• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blueberry just tied Flip City!

You only care about people reviews of Winter Park or if a 5 gets thrown out to someone who might pass Winter Park . . . oh I shouldn't have said that because your self promotion has diminshed tremendously in the last 6 months or so.

I am just kidding around, but I had written you off for a few months because of how often Winter Park got mentioned in other threads, it just got annoying. Its nice to have you back as a civil member of the DGCR family!

Thanks for the reminder...:D

COME PLAY WINTER PARK!

It has it's rough spots, but also shines with variety and balance.

I partially agree with what you guys are saying. But, it sounds to me like you are saying that PDGA ratings are the end-all.....and as such are larger than life.

That is not the case - they are one extra and mostly meaningful data point to help understand where someone is coming from. Just like years played or courses played. There are some players that have played many years and still have the form of a noob and others who have play 6 months and are already playing like a good Advanced player (Blue level). If someone has played 60 courses and they are all in the Chicago area, their perspective will not be very good.

listing PDGA ratings would be quite helpful IMO. "Narrow fairways" or "long holes for the sake of being long" have vastly different meanings coming from a 780 rated player than an 880 rated player and both of those than from a 980 rated player.

I completely understand how they (ratings/player ability) play into the content of the review and therefore subjectiveness. The player ability is very meanigful in how they enjoy and perceive the challenge of the course. This is very prevalent in the types of courses I LOVE to play - challenging and extreme. I think the thread was going toward "only pros rated 975+ can accurately describe and rate a course with any meaning". That's not what I think!

As a PDGA official TD, I keep stats on Winter Park (also because I am a geeky engineer who likes stats). This has shown another flaw in the ratings when it comes to people who do not play well in tournaments - LIKE ME! Based on the course SSA as calculated by PDGA, and casual rounds of nearly a hundred other individuals who also have PDGA ratings, my individual casual rounds are all rated much higher than my actual PDGA rating - and that's typically how I play. I suck in events because I dislike the quiet and slow pace of play.

Lots of "good" players I know simply have a high PDGA rating because they play prescribed event at easy and familiar courses. They're afraid to play something challenging because it could hurt they're rating. I don't much care for how good you are relative to your reviews of courses. Goes for you too Scooter - sorry. I do however appreciate reviews from anyone who has played a lot of courses - casually, not just tournament play.

I agree. Lets leave the evil empire and all its flaws where it belongs, PDGA.com.

Last edited:
As a PDGA official TD, I keep stats on Winter Park (also because I am a geeky engineer who likes stats). This has shown another flaw in the ratings when it comes to people who do not play well in tournaments - LIKE ME! Based on the course SSA as calculated by PDGA, and casual rounds of nearly a hundred other individuals who also have PDGA ratings, my individual casual rounds are all rated much higher than my actual PDGA rating - and that's typically how I play. I suck in events because I dislike the quiet and slow pace of play.

I am tempted to get into an off-topic discussion here, because like you, I have an engineering/geeky/analytical background (and have a different perspective than what you just expressed). But I will resist.

What I will say, is that you need to know what you are measuring to properly use statistics. PDGA ratings measure how well players perform in competitive play - not how much fun someone has, how good a person they are, or if they would make a good TD or course designer or DGCR reviewer.

Likewise DGCR course ratings measure how a course appeals to predominantly recreational audience. And, that is what the top 10 list shows. Hey.....you like how I brought this back on topic? ;)

Timg - give us a Top 25 on the front page!

I'm pretty sure you can all tell - WE LOVE THE "TOP COURSES" SECTION!

In support of TX, I wish one would make it into the Top 10 front page because many of them look pretty awesome! I have more than a handful in my Wishlist.

I think Scooter might agree that none of the TX courses I've played or heard about would make the top 10 based on how courses are rated on this site.

Timg - give us a Top 25 on the front page!

I'm pretty sure you can all tell - WE LOVE THE "TOP COURSES" SECTION!

I agree. The top 10 list is kind of like soap opera's for disc golfers... but cooler :cool:

I think Scooter might agree that none of the TX courses I've played or heard about would make the top 10 based on how courses are rated on this site.

Yeah all the "great" ones are too hard to be rated highly on here and they don't have the benefit like Highbridge of being so far from civilization that only dedicated golfers play them.

Basically they would get torn down like Manor by a few Rec golfers who can't handle a course with an SSA of 64-65.

With that said I have a few in TX that I like more than Blueberry.......

Us common folk don't count as much as the top pros?????

The best course on DGCR is the one rated the highest because it is a cross section of the entire sport (assuming there is a diverse enough crowd on this site) . . . while these "great" courses you speak of may be better to the top pros and touring pros, but rec and novice players wouldnt like them. I know that the "best course" in the end is always perceived as a difficult course that challenges everyone in the game, and the best players in the world rate it that high.

It's a little snobby but that is the way it is in golf too. I would think that the lower end of the players ability spectrum could appreciate a tough well designed course even if they sucked it up on the course, but apparently it isnt always that way.

I know I would like a tough challenge on every course as long as it was fair!

apparently not Mike...

even though common folk make up 90% of this sport.

PS...the more I think on it, the more of an a$$hole rating PAFrolfers "three rating" for Flip is.

apparently not Mike...

even though common folk make up 90% of this sport.

PS...the more I think on it, the more of an a$$hole rating PAFrolfers "three rating" for Flip is.

Probably 95%+

Anyway That is my personal opinion and if you notice no HARD courses are up near the top..........Highbridge Gold is the closest and once again that is due to more experienced players making the trip and reviewing the course.

It isn't that a "Top Pro's" opinion matters more it is just that they often look at courses from a different perspective.

I think Idlewild would definitely count as a harder course, though you're certainly correct that it's a lot easier for a more fun white to blue level course to make it to the top here than a tough gold level course.

I think Idlewild would definitely count as a harder course, though you're certainly correct that it's a lot easier for a more fun white to blue level course to make it to the top here than a tough gold level course.

Idlewild also gets a lot of high ratings due to the fact it is so well maintained.........but yes it is in the top 5% when it comes to difficulty.

Idlewild also gets a lot of high ratings due to the fact it is so well maintained.........but yes it is in the top 5% when it comes to difficulty.

Very true, though maintenance is a less reliable indicator of how well courses get rated on this site, Holler in the Hills has some maintenance issues and isn't nearly as manicured (and isn't all that easy either) and still gets pretty consistently high ratings. That brings up the issue of people tending to rate private courses higher than public ones here though...

Very true, though maintenance is a less reliable indicator of how well courses get rated on this site, Holler in the Hills has some maintenance issues and isn't nearly as manicured (and isn't all that easy either) and still gets pretty consistently high ratings. That brings up the issue of people tending to rate private courses higher than public ones here though...

To me the superb upkeep of a course like Idlewild matched with the challenge and design of each individual hole is what makes a course worthy of the top ten.

If a course isn't well maintained it will get .5 knocked off its rating from me.

4:30 a.m. and I'm off to play Flip with Shuie, Terry C. and Jukeshoe. See you suckas on the rebound!

The best course on DGCR is the one rated the highest because it is a cross section of the entire sport (assuming there is a diverse enough crowd on this site) . . . while these "great" courses you speak of may be better to the top pros and touring pros, but rec and novice players wouldnt like them. I know that the "best course" in the end is always perceived as a difficult course that challenges everyone in the game, and the best players in the world rate it that high.

It's a little snobby but that is the way it is in golf too. I would think that the lower end of the players ability spectrum could appreciate a tough well designed course even if they sucked it up on the course, but apparently it isnt always that way.

I know I would like a tough challenge on every course as long as it was fair!

I think the problem is that in BOLF players of all levels recognize greatness and cede that the course is too much for them....for some reason in disc golf when a player is overwhelmed by a course..you will hear complaints that it is too tight, too long, or the infamous no fun. If hack bolfers made those complaints about Pine Valley they'd be laughed at...in the world of DGCR such complaints gain merit as most disc golfers don't recognize what a truly great course is.