• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Well guys, I have one last disc to try. I am out of ideas as well. I thought I was very close but each time it just wasn't quite it. I had a great appreciation for Jeff and his art before, that appreciation has grown by leaps and bounds. Would love to meet him and shake his hand. The trial and error he must have gone through must have been crazy.

Dan looks like he's got it pretty close

If only he would share a little secret

Dan's situation is different, we need to leave him out of this and figure it out on our own. A man's word is his word..... Dan has shared pages and pages of every other dye technique known to man, he's done his share and then some.......

Honestly it's fun trying to figure it out. If nothing else we are making a new type of marbling to go with some of the other methods.

I am curious to know if Jeff was using a readily available dye or a commercial grade urethane pigment or disperse dye. I've been racking my brain on this and you need to be a chemist to understand some of this stuff. Anyone have any input or would like to do a little research on the topic couldn't hurt.

Try contacting a dye supplier. He said in the pdga discussion he shopped all over for dyes so that leads me to believe he's not using rit. Also I don't think anyone else is achieving the same shades as he was.

I think more important than the dye is the "carrier" that he uses. I can get an awesome bwave design on the disc and on the plate after the disc is lifted but when i let it "sit", it dries up or doesn't leave a solid dye pattern.

We will see what this LA looks hair gel turns out.... the dye has been about 26 hours.... I want to think that I can make it to 48.... dunno if that is going to happen. I just keep spritzing the dye every couple hours with spray bottle of water. Man I hope this one turns out badass.

I am curious to know if Jeff was using a readily available dye or a commercial grade urethane pigment or disperse dye. I've been racking my brain on this and you need to be a chemist to understand some of this stuff. Anyone have any input or would like to do a little research on the topic couldn't hurt.

So ones that i have had/have almost look like paint. honestly, pm for pics.

11277_10100390082269196_897986517_n.jpg

I like how bright it is.... just can't see myself paying that much for it. I think once we figure out a good carrier, we can get a group buy for some good dye (I am guessing that Jeff had spoken to a dye retailer in the same way) custom bright colors from a manufacturer.