• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith

^^ traveling on almost every one of his flicks. And he's a complete a-hole for spiking discs and causing them to taco.

I love watching his trick shot videos but would be super mad if he spiked my ultra-star. Compared to disc golf disc Ultra-stars fly best when brand new and stable.

not defending his actions but arn't Ultra-stars to ulitimate players like minis to disc golfers? Meaning everyone has a bunch and they are all about the same.

No. But yes, every Ultrastar (one word because that's it's name) is ALMOST exactly the same. The reason I say almost is that you can't make them exactly the same all the time. Teams will have a lot of discs, but that's because they need them to practice. And more often than not they are already beaten up because they get 2-3 hours of continuous use during practices every day.

Dont know much about the guy but he looks pretty good to me

I didn't see too many of the "travels" that were discussed... (ultimate rules are subjective anyway with the way people call them -- definitely the most annoying part of the game and the reason I don't play it anymore). And the person who spiked the disc directly into the ground didn't appear to be him.

Furthermore... I think he'd be good at disc golf. He can clearly throw BH and FH for D and accuracy.

DSCJNKY

I didn't see too many of the "travels" that were discussed... (ultimate rules are subjective anyway with the way people call them -- definitely the most annoying part of the game and the reason I don't play it anymore). And the person who spiked the disc directly into the ground didn't appear to be him.

Furthermore... I think he'd be good at disc golf. He can clearly throw BH and FH for D and accuracy.

DSCJNKY

Rolling over to the top or side of your toe on your pivot is technically a travel. And I know that wasn't him that spiked it in the video, but he does it very often.

One reason I stopped playing Ultimate after college is the so called, "spirit of the game." Our team wasn't that great and we only played smaller schools, but maybe it's different at big time Ultimate schools. Spirit of the game was supposed to be about fair, but competitive play, but most teams we played, if you breathed wrong, FOUL! It was stupid, even when two players would lay out, the other team would just say foul when they didn't catch it because they're a bunch of babies. Then cheers? Worst part about Ultimate. Whether we won or loss, we didn't make a cheer because it was stupid. I played sports my entire life, and NOBODY ever cheered, because it's stupid (obviously my opinion, I'm not calling you stupid if you enjoy cheers in Ultimate). Ultimate players in general are they most whiny people I've ever met, if it doesn't go their way, they just start to call foul, strip, pick, etc when it was clear there was no illegal action. Maybe it's different at bigtime Ultimate schools, but I won't play in anymore leagues because of my experience in college. If Brodie Smith is anything like that, I'll probably stop watching his videos because if I know he's one of those elitist whiners, then I couldn't enjoy some of the cool shots he makes.

End rant...

One reason I stopped playing Ultimate after college is the so called, "spirit of the game." Our team wasn't that great and we only played smaller schools, but maybe it's different at big time Ultimate schools. Spirit of the game was supposed to be about fair, but competitive play, but most teams we played, if you breathed wrong, FOUL! It was stupid, even when two players would lay out, the other team would just say foul when they didn't catch it because they're a bunch of babies. Then cheers? Worst part about Ultimate. Whether we won or loss, we didn't make a cheer because it was stupid. I played sports my entire life, and NOBODY ever cheered, because it's stupid (obviously my opinion, I'm not calling you stupid if you enjoy cheers in Ultimate). Ultimate players in general are they most whiny people I've ever met, if it doesn't go their way, they just start to call foul, strip, pick, etc when it was clear there was no illegal action. Maybe it's different at bigtime Ultimate schools, but I won't play in anymore leagues because of my experience in college. If Brodie Smith is anything like that, I'll probably stop watching his videos because if I know he's one of those elitist whiners, then I couldn't enjoy some of the cool shots he makes.

End rant...

Brodie Smith is exactly one of these people. Here in MN, for HS league at least, there's an unwritten code to not call any fouls unless completely blatant. I coach my old HS's team and I try my best to make sure the kids do not act like this.

haters_gonna_hate3.jpg

Brodie Smith is exactly one of these people. Here in MN, for HS league at least, there's an unwritten code to not call any fouls unless completely blatant. I coach my old HS's team and I try my best to make sure the kids do not act like this.

In reference to Brodie in the college finals a couple years ago, not sure if you remember, but Carleton also had multiple TMF's in that final (at least one having to do with making bad calls). Not defending Brodie, I know he has a pretty bad rap from his college days, but he is a pretty legitimate athlete playing ultimate and is ridiculous at it, something that the sport sort of needs if it wants to be called legitimate. It sucks playing against teams that call a lot of fouls, but as long as ultimate exists with just "spirit of the game" and not referees that can make decisions/enforce rules then bad calls by players will exist (I don't agree with the way that Florida team played the game, but honestly they still outmatched every team with athleticism as well). IMO, Brodie seems like he has cleaned up his act quite a bit and recognizes he is an ambassador to the sport. Things happen in the heat of games, and I really can't fault someone for being an intense competitor.

Anyway, on topic. The disc golf video is not great. Comparing this to views on tournaments videos is sort of futile though. The casual trick shot fan is going to have no interest in watching that. If anything, this could get some people to look into disc golf further and get them playing, which would be great (when I started playing ultimate I had no idea that disc golf existed).

Come on folks!! What is with the jealously?
It has like 28,000 views. That is like the combined
total of all tournament vids on you tube.

Not really but you get my drift. What is The Clash up to
3000??

This is great exposure.

uhhh Seppu Paju Ace off the wharf at Worlds has 98k hits :p (so far my biggest claim to fame in the sport is being a part of the most watched disc golf clip on youtube, lol)

...and as for Brodie/Ultimate - while I never played against him, I know many players that were like that. Ultimate needs refs at every UPA tournament, and they need to not have such vague rules. The couple college tournaments I played in, hell I'll admit I didn't even go to the school that I played for! My best friend was captain of his school's team and needed some players for a tourney in FL so I drove down from NC and played, we even picked up another local who wanted to play and gave him a shirt, and one of UF's B-team guys.

Ultimate is just too unregulated, it's a joke to play competitively.

One reason I stopped playing Ultimate after college is the so called, "spirit of the game." ......

It was stupid, even when two players would lay out, the other team would just say foul when they didn't catch it .......

Ultimate players in general are they most whiny people I've ever met, if it doesn't go their way, they just start to call foul, strip, pick, etc when it was clear there was no illegal action.

THIS.

When I started practicing with our college team, guys who were experienced players would always call something on me when I had outplayed them.

Ultimate players also, as a general rule, HATE freestylers... and since I am a freestyler... I have to give hate back.

Besides, they never liked it when I would take a throw on a nail delay and take off running down the field with it. Something like this, but less intense:

DSCJNKY

THIS.

When I started practicing with our college team, guys who were experienced players would always call something on me when I had outplayed them.

Ultimate players also, as a general rule, HATE freestylers... and since I am a freestyler... I have to give hate back.

Besides, they never liked it when I would take a throw on a nail delay and take off running down the field with it. Something like this, but less intense:

DSCJNKY

No one I know that plays ultimate hates freestylers. I'm sure many of them, like me, would love to learn how to do it. As for the nail delay, it's an illegal move anyway. You're not allowed to delay your catch at all, whether it be by letting it spin on your finger, or bobbling it.

Ultimate just needs referees, that's all. That whole spirit of the game yadda yadda is a memory of the hippie days. You can not play a game competitvly without referees. While it kinda worked when I started 15 years ago, the sport has grown and became WAAAY more competitive.

Ultimate just needs referees, that's all. That whole spirit of the game yadda yadda is a memory of the hippie days. You can not play a game competitvly without referees. While it kinda worked when I started 15 years ago, the sport has grown and became WAAAY more competitive.

This. All the ultimate players that want to see ultimate in the Olympics needs to realize that it won't make it until this happens.