• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catrina Allen Prediction Thread

Yes to this, it had me scratching my head all the way through the tournament.

As for not having a Caddie, on a recent PDGA Radio, Sara Sinclair mentioned that Cat feels like caddies and carts shouldn't be allowed on tour and that you should have to carry your own bag.

I suppose you could argue that if they are allowed and you are not taking advantage of it, especially during a 5 round tournament in the humid Midwest in August, that you are not putting yourself in the best position to win.

I know Paul uses a caddie at times, but not just anyone, has to be someone he is familiar with, and does not typically accept random offers to caddie.

It is just me or did anyone else notice that she was the only cardmate that did NOT congratulate PP on her win at worlds following the round. The rest of them hugged it all up after the round. No Cat. Given my perspective was only that which Smashboxx was providing live, but most of the post round activity was captured and Cat seemed to have disappeared once the round was over. Her non-nonchalant putting on 18 in round 4 was just bad body language for someone in the top 3. It seemed to continue. I bet former champ Paige Bjerkas demonstrated better sportsmanship even with her last place finish. I'm just not getting a good body language vibe from her anymore. Not sure what's going on with her. I wonder about not having a caddy. Carrying your bag for 5 rounds can take a toll. Putting with your bag on?! Come on man!!

I guess thats why they do the 18th tee good round bit.For players like Cat.

It is just me or did anyone else notice that she was the only cardmate that did NOT congratulate PP on her win at worlds following the round. The rest of them hugged it all up after the round. No Cat. Given my perspective was only that which Smashboxx was providing live, but most of the post round activity was captured and Cat seemed to have disappeared once the round was over. Her non-nonchalant putting on 18 in round 4 was just bad body language for someone in the top 3. It seemed to continue. I bet former champ Paige Bjerkas demonstrated better sportsmanship even with her last place finish. I'm just not getting a good body language vibe from her anymore. Not sure what's going on with her. I wonder about not having a caddy. Carrying your bag for 5 rounds can take a toll. Putting with your bag on?! Come on man!!

She's 34. She appears to be in good physical shape. Carrying a bag while walking 3 miles a day took a toll on her?????? I think you're reaching.

The short putting thing is like the yips in golf. It happens. Hopefully she can work it out. She is the bast thrower (not longest) in the FPO field. If she would have putted like a MA3 player from circle 1X last week we'd be talking about how she coasted to a 10 throw win.

I also noticed that there was very few quotes from Cat in the articles from Ultiworld and PDGA . . All the other leadcard player spoke to them after the rounds.

The short putting thing is like the yips in golf. It happens. Hopefully she can work it out.

I think this is exactly right. I don't think it's a mental thing or a concentration thing (that final putt of round 4 not withstanding). I think there's a glitch in her putting that just appears seemingly out of nowhere, then goes away, then comes back, and so on. Something that is difficult to put a finger on no matter how hard you concentrate or how much you practice. It might just click for her one day where she figures out exactly what is causing it, and armed with the knowledge is able to make the right adjustment.

That's what happened with me. I had a case of the yips where suddenly I couldn't putt straight, but a few holes later it would go away. Or if I was practicing, everything would be fine only to hit the course a few minutes later and be unable to make anything. Or vice versa It was 3-4 years of it before it finally dawned on me what the issue was. Now it still occasionally will crop up, but I know the fix and it doesn't last. It's just one bad putt, not something that will plague me and mess with my confidence.

Here's hoping Cat finds the answer.

She switched to push putting in the off-season and came out on a tear, but it seems like she's fallen off a cliff lately. It almost has to be mental

From the chat during the live feed of the event, someone said that Cat congratulated Paige after they teed off on the 18th hole. I hope that's the case, because Catrina did get out of Dodge (pun not intended) after the round was over.

Are you willing to share the fix? If not, or personal, I understand.

I didn't detail it since I didn't think it would be all that relevant because it likely has nothing to do with Cat's issue or anyone else's. I have no problem with sharing though.

I realized that I was leaning forward too much in my set up. I was starting with my waist bent and my head and shoulders way out in front of my feet. Like I was trying to shorten the distance to the target. In doing that, I was occasionally out of balance (leaning too far forward) and I was subconsciously trying to compensate by popping up and screwing up my release point, resulting in high and/or left side misses. It wasn't like I was falling over, so I didn't feel unbalanced as I threw. It was a very subtle thing.

All I did to fix it was incorporate a check into my routine that my head and shoulders are directly above or slightly behind my marker rather than out in front when I set up (I stand up straighter, essentially). Otherwise, my putt is the same as it was before, only with fewer seemingly inexplicable and unpredictable misses high and/or left.

She switched to push putting in the off-season and came out on a tear, but it seems like she's fallen off a cliff lately. It almost has to be mental

I don't think it's just the 'yips', which in golf ball golf is often a longer-term thing. And even in Worlds and the past few tournaments, she's hit some great longer putts. It's been those short putts, literally near-drop-ins, that she's inexplicably missed.

As a side note: I'm not saying this is good or bad, just making the observation: during the last round at Worlds, Paige P did some really serious fist-pumping after making some clutch putts. PP normally does not show that much emotion. I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....

I predict Cat switches putters and goes straddle spin for everything inside 20'. I think s big change is needed to refocus to purchase relearn better form after a decent break.

Kevin and Matty-O would happily advise on the spin to win tap in.

My advice, besides quality practice, develop a putting routine and stick too it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's just the 'yips', which in golf ball golf is often a longer-term thing. And even in Worlds and the past few tournaments, she's hit some great longer putts. It's been those short putts, literally near-drop-ins, that she's inexplicably missed.

As a side note: I'm not saying this is good or bad, just making the observation: during the last round at Worlds, Paige P did some really serious fist-pumping after making some clutch putts. PP normally does not show that much emotion. I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....

The ball golf yips are basically an inability to make short putts, which is why I made the reference.

People who impose tremendous expectations upon themselves and who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure.

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

edit: Just to be clear, I don't know the first thing about her life. I'm just saying I recognize the symptoms. From hard experience.

Last edited:
I had the distinct feeling she was doing that to intimidate/annoy Cat after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump.

wait...is there a rule about celebration routines after a throw in??????

People who impose tremendous expectations upon themselves and who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure.

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

edit: Just to be clear, I don't know the first thing about her life. I'm just saying I recognize the symptoms. From hard experience.

I was talking with one of the top female players over the weekend and her take mirrors this to a large degree- basically that Catrina is too intense and that leads to difficulties in getting it back together when things don't go well.

Uh, so I have heard. . .

=\

So she exhibits symptoms of someone who grew up in a family environment in which even the slightest failure is met with scorn, and achievements are not celebrated, often feel great personal shame at doing less than perfectly out of all proportion to the expectations of the people around them, and will flee from attention as soon as possible after a failure?

Interesting.

after that little altercation a few weeks back when Cat revenge-called Paige for (a much smaller) fist pump. And that may have added to Cat's mental game collapse as the round progressed to its conclusion....

That was for smacking the basket (like an atta boy slap not a smack the **** out of it slap) not for fist pumping.