• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap, semi-temporary next hole signs?

Thanks. I like the color-coded arrows.

(Though the "17" sign might be a bit excessive. I hope it's durable because it must get pelted by low shots.)

Not excessive when some of the holes are 900 feet long.

Might also go for the signs on the bottom of the basket with zip ties. Makes more sense with zip ties to me, because the direction to next tee will obviously change with alternate baskets.

Goose, simple plastic/polypro/acrylic signs hung under the cage (zipties) work great as a quicky. A course I used to play did this when they first opened and didn't have a map posted, tee signs, or trails worn down yet. Worked great.

Examples: (click image for more info)
$2.66 each - 12" x 4" Rigid Plastic

$3.02 each - 4" Round - Glow
I like this idea, and I think it would work for most of the course.

Are they trying to make the sign readable from the tee?

Is there a better place for it to be readable from?

Also, this course is on a ball golf course and it really helped the two get along when the golfers could see where the disc golfers intended to throw next.

Is there a better place for it to be readable from?

Also, this course is on a ball golf course and it really helped the two get along when the golfers could see where the disc golfers intended to throw next.

Well, that would constitute disinformation if I were playing. They'd need to be briefed of the tenuous correlation between where I intend to throw, and where I will throw. And, probably, that the danger zone doesn't reach nearly as far from me as they might assume.

OK, perhaps a little different on a golf course, from the perspective of the (ball) golfers. Perhaps. From a disc golf perspective, a visible number would only seem to matter of there are multiple baskets in view, and a danger of throwing to the wrong one. I have no idea of this particular course, but where I've played on hybrid courses, the direction to throw seemed pretty obvious.

Well, that would constitute disinformation if I were playing. They'd need to be briefed of the tenuous correlation between where I intend to throw, and where I will throw. And, probably, that the danger zone doesn't reach nearly as far from me as they might assume.

OK, perhaps a little different on a golf course, from the perspective of the (ball) golfers. Perhaps. From a disc golf perspective, a visible number would only seem to matter of there are multiple baskets in view, and a danger of throwing to the wrong one. I have no idea of this particular course, but where I've played on hybrid courses, the direction to throw seemed pretty obvious.

For all of us, we will gradually, on average, get closer and closer to that basket with the same number as the tee. That helps the golfers.

Ease of course navigation is one of the top factors in enjoyment of a course. It can never be overdone. Even if a player can only see one basket, there is always the question of whether that is the right basket, or if there may be another one that hasn't been found yet. I don't see any reason why a hole number on the basket that is readable from the tee (if the basket is visible) shouldn't be a minimal standard for courses.

I don't see any reason why a hole number on the basket that is readable from the tee (if the basket is visible) shouldn't be a minimal standard for courses.

Overkill, for starters.

If the basket is obvious, either by being the only possible one, or with a really good tee sign, it hardly needs a readable number. And for really long numbers, that standard would require a HUGE number sign. And that's assuming you mean, readable to people with better eyes than mine.

Navigation is an issue once or twice---a basket number so oversized to become an obstacle would be an issue every time the hole is played.

I'm not saying this is one. It may serve a purpose there. I didn't mean to criticize it, as much as be amused by it.

...a basket number so oversized to become an obstacle would be an issue every time the hole is played...

That is something to take into account. I think with the sign (even a huge sign) under the tray, any disc that would hit the sign:

a. has missed anyway, and
b. would have been, and still will be, a drop-in;

so scores will not be affected.

Signs on top may serve to catch some throws that might have otherwise sailed away, so I only put them up there when needed.