• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Check out this lie

So to say "the grass is in" is incorrect. The correct statement is "the road is out." While it seems like both are the same, this highlights one case where the distinction is very important. In this case, the disc is entirely on the road which is defined as OB while also touching the grass which should not necessarily be considered "not OB."

That's a important point.

I also hear that people often explain that a disc is in "as long as it still touches something in bounds" which would be true in the case presented and is also a very shaky definition.

But the rule as it is worded explains the situation well enugh actually, just most people dont use the exact words used in the rules to describe the oB situation.

I also hear that people often explain that a disc is in "as long as it still touches something in bounds" which would be true in the case presented and is also a very shaky definition.

If a disc is touching something inbounds, it is in. The rules outline that very well. however, the blade of grass in this situation is not in. Even if it is rooted inbounds, the leaf is OB. The disc is only touching the OB portion of the grass.

Again, this is why the distinction between "road is out" and "grass is in" is very important.

Here is our issue:
OBlies_zpsd6e87963.png

in the top picture the disc actually crosses the plane of the curb.
in the middle the disc is leaning on the curb that is used as the line
on the bottom the disc is touching the curb.

We play that all 3 are in, I do not agree fully, but I do not fight it.

"Edge of curb"
I personally think only #1 is in, #3 gets sketchy. If someone throws out of bounds but hits the edge of the curb, they play their OB from the curb they bounced off of the side of. They were never in, they MAY HAVE touched the OB line, but were never inbounds or touched inbounds.

Last edited:
Should be simple and should be "if any part of the disc is past the OB line then it's OB regardless if any part of the disc is touching IB". Seems like that would resolve a lot of confusion IMO.

the doubles TD should edge the entire course right before the round. This would solve all these problems.

I'm kidding.

Should be simple and should be "if any part of the disc is past the OB line then it's OB regardless if any part of the disc is touching IB". Seems like that would resolve a lot of confusion IMO.

You just run into the exact same problem in reverse. Imagine the OP's pic, but the disc is all on grass with one little bit of the road broken off and touching the disc. Under your rule, we'd be having the same discussion on whether or not that one little thing sticking out past the OB line determines the status of the disc.

As far as I know around here when there isn't a hard and fast "line" if the grass is inbounds, and it lands on top of grass, even one blade, which it looks like it did, then we'd call it in.

Same around here. In the players meeting our TD ALWAYS makes it clear: GIVE THE PLAYER THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

The pic just looks like you guys got super lucky. :thmbup:

#2 would depend on whether the face of the curb is perfectly perpendicular. Since the OB line is perpendicular, then if the top of the curb overhangs the road, the disc is out; if the face of the curb slants away from the road, then the disc is in; if the face of the curb is perfectly perpendicular, then it's a tough call, but I'd call the disc in bounds (giving the player the benefit of the doubt).

#2 would depend on whether the face of the curb is perfectly perpendicular. Since the OB line is perpendicular, then if the top of the curb overhangs the road, the disc is out; if the face of the curb slants away from the road, then the disc is in; if the face of the curb is perfectly perpendicular, then it's a tough call, but I'd call the disc in bounds (giving the player the benefit of the doubt).

The reason the OB line is considered out is for cases where a fence is the OB line. A disc leaning against the fence on the wrong side is still out. You could try to argue that if the fence is not constructed perfectly vertically, then a shot on the wrong side could still technically be in, but you'd lose that argument.

The same applies to the curb. If the curb is the line, a disc leaning on it is out, a disc leaning over it is in.

The line is defined by the concrete, not the grass.

It's not whether "are you touching grass" it's "is the disc completelely surronded by concrete."

That's the biggest misconception with OB - they think that it's about touching something IB. It's not. It's about not completely being surronded by something OB. Which in this case it is.

If the disc is touching grass, it's not surrounded completely by the road, it's surrounded by the road on all sides but the part, however tiny, that is touching the grass.

Also, using this logic, a disc that lands on a dry patch of ground that has a stream that forks around it is also OB. Heck, every lie is OB, if you consider that every hole has boundaries behind, to the sides, and beyond the intended line of play. The entire hole is "surrounded by OB" at this point.

This is why it's important to delineate what actually constitutes "in bounds," as well.

Last edited:
in bounds. but not by the blade of grass. our ob lines operate similar to soccer's...the ball is only out if it full crosses the line. Same thing applies here. When OB lines or ropes are laid out it allows for the farthest point of the fairway or hole can reach, therefore the outside of the line. if any part of your disc is touching the line, you are still in bounds.

This is also why in big events rope is used instead of lines. Rope is thinner and straighter. But they place one rope above ground and one on ground so they can see if your disc is touching the rope line. If it is, you're in bounds, take your meter, and proceed