• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chuckers!!

Shankapotamus.

Shank Williams.

I was playing a round at Fredrickson last weekend and caught up with a 3some on hole 10. Two of them were on opposite sides of the fairway looking for their discs in the trees. One guy finds his and comes back to the teebox, where i've already been waiting for a couple of minutes,and takes a re-throw. Second guy also finds his and comes back while first guy goes down to play his re-throw.
Second guy: "I'm throwing a mulligan"
Me: " you guys are going to let me play through, right?"
Second guy:" Uh..I dunno.. you'll have to ask my friend"
Me: "Well, I don't think i'm going to ask, I think i'm going to tell him"

I wait for them to finish the hole and catch up to them on the next hole where they are looking for their discs again, with really no idea where their shots went. Finally, the guy i'm supposed to "ask" says "Well, you might as well play through"

At this point, to be honest, it was almost comical.

I dont mean to come off as a jerk here. But come on, man up to it and do something to change it. Introduce yourself and explain the flow of the game and invite them to a casual league or doubles night. Explain some things that they dont know and how they can affect other people that might be out on the course with them. Why is it that people just want to cry and get mad about certain things but then never do anything to change them? Understand that people play the game for different reasons and thats ok. The courses are in public parks, not your private property. Everybody has a right to be there, man up and do something about it. As long as you are pleasant than people will be receptive. I thought disc golf wasn't supposed to be elitist? jesus christ.....:wall:

Despite your efforts, you did come off as ajerk. Obviously you didn't read my earlier post. I have tried plenty of times to introduce these people to the game, and been plenty polite about it, and they have blown me off and figuratively spat in my face. I am TDing a Vibram Birdie Bash...I told them all before I even applied to tin it...they didn't sign up and I sold put. Then they begged for me to open up more spots....I did, despite the fact that my city permit gave a set number of participants. They did not sign up, and I sold out again. Now they are asking if we have open spots (we don't.)

I have asked them to play our League (they cant, its a different course) Ive asked them to play our doubles night (they cant, they don't know anybody...apparently I'm nobody) I invited them to our Ice Bowl that had a Rec and a Novice Division and all the proceeds went to charity (they couldn't, it was too cold)

So don't presume that I am just some ******* being offended. If I bend over backward to help you, to teach you the game, and you look me in the eye and more or less say f**k you, I do what I want...f**k your rules and f**k your safety and fun and enjoyment...then yeah, you're a chucker, and I don't like you.

i usually play with one or two other competitive players. we play ready golf and can par anything, yet we get thrown on CONSTANTLY. like every round always. i generally get pretty mad about this, and usually confront the person, but nobody seems to cop to it.

if your disc lands anywhere near me i promise i'll drive it straight back at you.. sadly it happens a lot.

TDDs (Two Disc douchebags) - your frat-tastic, shirtless variety.

Chuckers - Dudes that just keep throwing discs. Could be alone with you behind him the last 6 holes, doesn't matter. He just keeps chucking one disc after another and has to putt from every approach. These guys are often drunk/high and completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

Hacks - Dedicated disc golfers that look like serious players to the untrained eye but would be murdered by any actually good discers. I'm a hack as is most of DGCR.

:clap: Total hack.

Taken from urban dictionary but this is what we call "chuckers" in my circle of hacks.

Wish we got more "midriffs"

Mook-

A term coined by Douglas Rushkoff in an episode of PBS's "Frontline" entitled "The Merchants of Cool." Mooks are archetypal young males(teens-early 20s) who act like moronic boneheads. They are self centered simpletons who live a drunken frat-boy lifestyle(or are frat-boys). Examples can be found anytime someone watches "Jackass." Rushkoff claimed that the media glorifies this ideal and stifles natural self expression, however, some people might argue teenage boys have always acted like morons(its actually a long-standing stereotype). Nonetheless, standardized conformist dumbass-culture behind a veneer of exhuberance is a scary notion indeed.

Opposite of Mooks are Midriffs; oxymoronic innocent skanks who are modeled after Britney Spears.

I live in Frankfort and am a member of J-Town... It used to be that way but I've noticed the recent trend in complete morons at Highland (one of the toughest courses in our area). When I say morons I mean 1 disc yeah but... they always seem to want to throw on you. I've been nearly hit so many times it is ridiculous. Last week I was out there and we got thrown on. The guys disc actually hit my bag which was sitting on my stool right next to me. No warning... There just seems to be a lot more of these ignorant people at Highland than there used to be. Back to the subject I have never heard the term Gomer, my friends and I just call me scrubs...

I have noticed that too at highland. The gomers are multiplying... Generally they do hang out at shorewood which I try to avoid entirely. West park is getting really bad too. I find that its easier to avoid them when you go early in the morning.

Agreed. This is a chucker, helmet, joker, clown etc...
"dump trash everywhere, scribble sharpie all over the tee signs and baskets, and generally skulk around like you don't even want to be there."

I dont mean to come off as a jerk here. But come on, man up to it and do something to change it. Introduce yourself and explain the flow of the game and invite them to a casual league or doubles night. Explain some things that they dont know and how they can affect other people that might be out on the course with them. Why is it that people just want to cry and get mad about certain things but then never do anything to change them? Understand that people play the game for different reasons and thats ok. The courses are in public parks, not your private property. Everybody has a right to be there, man up and do something about it. As long as you are pleasant than people will be receptive. I thought disc golf wasn't supposed to be elitist? jesus christ.....:wall:

I agree, nobody will say anything to anybody anymore

It's been pointed out in this thread already but...Just because you think the "chuckers" need help with their game doesn't mean they want help with their game. :)

I have noticed that too at highland. The gomers are multiplying... Generally they do hang out at shorewood which I try to avoid entirely. West park is getting really bad too. I find that its easier to avoid them when you go early in the morning.

I always go in the morning or ur get high schoolers and youngins riding you all day. I mean me and my buddy play quick but we are polite and don't throw on people and don't ask to play through we wait until its offered. But we call them frolfateers.

When I first started playing I was already pretty good. Obviously my skills had to develop but because I am smarter than other people I was able to bypass all the normal "Chucker" tendencies. Now that I am even better I find it quite tedious tolerating all of the irritating weekend golfers.

In general, I only enjoy being around people who meet my standards. I would be all for requiring a written test and license for all disc golfers. Exceptions can be made for experienced players and newcomers that are pre-approved by people like me.

In my opinion, golfers who are not interested in donating league fees or tourney entries and simply want to play a game are little better than litterbugs, graffiti artists, and irresponsible dog owners.

When I first started playing I was already pretty good. Obviously my skills had to develop but because I am smarter than other people I was able to bypass all the normal "Chucker" tendencies. Now that I am even better I find it quite tedious tolerating all of the irritating weekend golfers.

In general, I only enjoy being around people who meet my standards. I would be all for requiring a written test and license for all disc golfers. Exceptions can be made for experienced players and newcomers that are pre-approved by people like me.

Well, finally someone has come out and said what we've all been thinking.....;)

Latest posts