• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Misconceptions

tampabay

Double Eagle Member
What common mistakes hurt your brain the most?

Whenever I see someone call a TL, EL, FL.... a teebird with a leopard bottom, I die on the inside.

Also, the notion of "forehand discs" hurts my head as well.

What other info would you like to see corrected for the general public?

People who think discs accelerate after you release them... don't get me started.

Makes my head hurt when someone says Millennium disc's names are too complicated to understand. I'm sorry they didn't put pictures of animals and mythical creatures on it for you.

I own a DG store. "I'm looking to go super straight and far my friend told me I need something like a boss or an ape".

When someone tells me they "turned it over" but it was just OAT and bad form. If it leaves your hand on an anhyzer line don't tell me it flipped on you. That was all you. Or my friend who thinks his bad upshot form is just grip lock and because it's the putter not him. It leaves his hand wobbling. That's not the disc's fault.

When someone tells me they "turned it over" but it was just OAT and bad form. If it leaves your hand on an anhyzer line don't tell me it flipped on you. That was all you. Or my friend who thinks his bad upshot form is just grip lock and because it's the putter not him. It leaves his hand wobbling. That's not the disc's fault.

I definitely should have included this. Whenever my friends tell me they need to start throwing 12's and 13's because they are throwing to hard I ask to see their river fuse etc. and proceed to throw them as far as they throw anything else without turning it over.

Distance matters more than anything. Most common misconception in DG.

People who think discs accelerate after you release them... don't get me started.

The red ones do....:popcorn:

The misconception is that the topics below should be brought up repeatedly, but also i hate them

List of things i hate;
Frolf, dolf, bolf if you say these words to describe an activity, diaf

"Stable" used as a a substitute for "overstable"

"Is this an ace?" Threads

Disc vs disc threads

"It flies like a longer teebird" use to describe discs that in fact fly nothing like a teebird.

Haters. There are a ton of them on DGCR. With crazy unreasonable brand loyalty for no reason (most of the time).

The amount of people on here that are quick to give you unsolicited advice, and act like they know everything and are in fact 850 rated

* There's more but im done pooping now. Back to work.

Last edited:
It bothers me when people say "turn and burn" when they are talking about an overstable disc fading.
Especially when throwing a noob hyzer.

THATS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO!!!!
Turning and burning usually has to do with OAT on an understable disc, causing it to turn into the ground and spit way off left (or right for the lefties).
You are saying the exact opposite of what you are meaning.

Somewhat related: People who don't get that an anhyzer shot is not the same as a turnover shot.
They can often be thrown in the same situation, but they are different shots at their very essence.
One refers to release angle, the other refers to what the disc does after you release it.

When someone just biffs a drive and says "Oh man, I really grip locked that one."

The red ones do....:popcorn:

The amount of people on here that are quick to give you unsolicited advice, and act like they know everything and are in fact 850 rated

* There's more but im done pooping now. Back to work.

This. Over and over again. Or the amount of people on here who dump on the PDGA or tournaments in general who have never played in a tournament themselves.

Grip lock in general... nobody understands it
Forehand discs
Turn vs Fade (turned at the end. no it faded)
Understable vs Stable vs Overstable

A player's rating shouldn't have much impact on whether or not they can be good teachers of the game to others.

As we've seen in other sports, the best players don't necessarily make great coaches/managers/teachers/talent evaluators. Bill Belichick wasn't a HOF quarterback before he won Super Bowls as a coach. Michael Jordan hasn't shown the best eye for talent: i.e. Kwame Brown & Adam Morrison.

Now, if you're saying a lot of saying casual/rec level players think they know if all and talk a bigger game, then you are correct sir.

Latest posts