• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cons of putting with a shallow putter

Just got my hands on a chief os. It is about the most shallow putter around. Going to get a couple more in the next few weeks.

The Chief os, Chief and Shaman are all the same depth and all nice discs. I carry a couple of the Chief os and Shaman.

I think Paige Peirce is putting with Swans right now?

My impression was that spin putters sometimes tend to use shallower putters.

She is. She's switching she said to a DD putter (the name of it escapes me), but does use the Swan right now.
I agree with the spin putting though. I used to not spin as much... I varied my putting form between something like McBeth, Wysocki and Nikko. This year I've been migrating toward more of a spin putt. I practiced with my Judges, McPro Aviars, Wizards and DX Aviars. Once I got my Zero Pures out, I started hitting more putts, and more putts from further out, but my misses were very close.

I threw with a Spike for a long while. Liked it but started looking for something with more glide as I was leaving putts short, especially from 30 feet or so. It's a great putter, if you don't mind the thumbpads, which I liked, and if you don't need some extra glide to get up and in.

This year I've been migrating toward more of a spin putt. I practiced with my Judges, McPro Aviars, Wizards and DX Aviars. Once I got my Zero Pures out, I started hitting more putts, and more putts from further out, but my misses were very close.

This is similar to what I've been doing this year. I'm re-developing my spin putt (looks like a hybrid but definitely more spin) and I just wasn't having success with the Judge. I picked up a swan 2 on a whim and love how it's working for me. The shallow feel works better with a more aggressive release for me.

Matt Bell won last year's World's Putting Championship with a Mercy. Compared to an Aviar or Challenger, it's pretty shallow. I used to putt with them, but wanted something with more glide to match my style. Great driving putter.

This is similar to what I've been doing this year. I'm re-developing my spin putt (looks like a hybrid but definitely more spin) and I just wasn't having success with the Judge. I picked up a swan 2 on a whim and love how it's working for me. The shallow feel works better with a more aggressive release for me.

Been wanting to try a swan. The Pures are great but that nose on them... boy can they roll. I make more putts with Pures vs Judges or the like, but I also get more/farther roll aways. Probably going to try out a Warden and a Swan next time Im at the store.

All other things being equal shallow putters tend to have less glide than deep putters. The faster speed can also mean worse come back putts.

I'd worry more about how well the putter fits your grip than how deep it is.

awesomestufftobuy_tiny-little-hands.jpg

She is. She's switching she said to a DD putter (the name of it escapes me), but does use the Swan right now.

Dynamic Discs Deputy. It will be part of this year's Trilogy Challenge. I'm pretty happy with my Wardens but I am looking forward to trying the Deputy.

OP may also want to try the Atom. I loved that one but (atleast in Electron Soft) the rim would warp real bad, even when reserved for putting, couldn't deal with that.

If I have a real long put I will often make my normal putt but with a shallow mid like a Tursas.

I've been a good spin putter for a while but after a bad couple days putting in the biggest tournament of the year for me I'm wondering if a more push putt style would hold up better under pressure. When I'm on I hit everything but when I'm off, boy...and with a good hard spin putt you can miss by a lot.

Yea thats it. Between my Pures and Judges, I've got my putters pretty much set. With the exception of having been wanting to try the Swan for a while. I put with pures now for everything except a straddle putt, I'll switch to a Judge. Just a different release when I straddle putt that the Judge is better for me, although the Warden does well for me too... I just have 4 Judges and one Warden so... I keep the Warden in my practice basket at home.

Who am I kidding, I'll try a deputy lol.

Latest posts