• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Count another in for the Magnet bandwagon!

mmyersdisc

Double Eagle Member
Ok...so I got a pink soft Magnet in the players package at my tournament and all I can say is...wow...why did I not pick these up sooner?!?!?!? These things fly SOOO straight at 250ft and they can also hold a nice hyzer...I normally throw aviars and they just always flip on me from my snap I put on them..but this pink magnet can take it all and it amazes me lol!!! Midnight, you might have another person trying to gobble up the magnets on this board :p ...

question for you midnight....how well can you throw an anny shot with a beat up one? Im really liking the feel of the plastic so far...havn't tried putting with it yet though lol

I used my S.M. for some seriously long mid-range shots this weekend. Farther than I've ever tried throwing her before. It holds a nice straight line for a crazy amount of time. Great for in the woods when you don't want to deal with a big curve or s pattern. Just a nice little right fade at the end.

Boooo, just kidding, I've never tried one.

never tried a magnet..... sounds like I need to......

For real you should...im not normally like a OMG THIS DISC ROCKS! guy...but this disc seriously amazed me....just throw a SLIGHT bit of hyzer and it flies flat for like 150' and then just sits down so nice...you do have to have some height on it though to get it to 250'....I think I will buy a few more of these and wear them in to see if I can get a nice anny disc out of them...(i hate finding out I like new discs..makes my practice stack worthless :p)

I have been wanting to get a couple magnets for putting. Although I am unsure if I want the soft magnet or a regular magnet. i have been throwing a softie 86 that I stole from my brother and I don't really like it and I am fearful that the soft magnet may feel to similar. However, the soft magnet weighs more than my 86. Any advice?

I have been wanting to get a couple magnets for putting. Although I am unsure if I want the soft magnet or a regular magnet. i have been throwing a softie 86 that I stole from my brother and I don't really like it and I am fearful that the soft magnet may feel too similar. However, the soft magnet weighs more than my 86. Any advice?

I've only thrown the Soft Magnet but liked it well enough. I did choose to stick with my Classic Aviar until I found the Soft Banger-GT though (I liked the soft plastic but prefer a more rigid putter - the Banger is the best of both worlds for me. Not trying to advertise a different mold).

One of my friends in my casual group throws them in the Soft variety. They tend to get REALLY flexible in the heat. I've never seen another disc stick in the side of the basket with such frequency. They really grab the chains too and don't roll much either since they're so flexible. Aside from that, they hold a line as well as, if not better than, any other putter on the market. There is also only one mold so you won't be trying to find different beads and molds of the same name (I had no choice with the Classic Aviar when I replaced my first one that cracked and had to get a beaded one when I was used to the beadless because that's what Innova chose to run - stop trashing Innova, be objective).

The best advice I would give is go try them out at a store. They are great putters, and there's a reason they're so popular. However, a putter is a personal choice more than any other disc, in my opinion, since they're the one disc that really makes or breaks your score. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, it doesn't matter how many people swear by it, it's just not going to help your game.

You can stay over there on the Magnet Bandwagon, that means more Wizards for me!!!!

glad to see you found a good putter, the bread and butter of your bag for sure.

I have been wanting to get a couple magnets for putting. Although I am unsure if I want the soft magnet or a regular magnet. i have been throwing a softie 86 that I stole from my brother and I don't really like it and I am fearful that the soft magnet may feel to similar. However, the soft magnet weighs more than my 86. Any advice?
The prevailing wisdom is that understable discs are good for beginners. I don't think that is 100% true. The 86 Softie is for advanced Frisbee guys. It all touch so you can make it work without a lot of power, but it takes a lot of skill to get it to work out of that perplexing dance around the basket it seems to do. It's also virtually worthless in the wind unless you are a master. It's a disc that should be recommended for advanced players only despite the fact that it doesn't take a lot of power to make it work.

A Magnet is going to fly a lot differently than the 86. A Magnet can take a lot more power. It also will fly a lot farther than an 86, especially if you can get some hight on it. To me the Magnet has a lot of fade. It's kinda weird in that I can get a Magnet to turn a lot easier than I can a KC Aviar, but thrown flat the Magnet has more fade than the KC Aviar. At any rate, the Magnet is a really nice disc. I don't throw one because there are a lot of really nice putt and approach discs and you can't throw them all, but if it was the only putt and approach disc I could get I would be fine with it.

As for the softness, it depends on the type of 86 Softie you have. A lot of the 86 Softies are not really all that soft, but the Butter Putters are really soft. It would be hard to know if a Soft Magnet will be more or less soft unless we know more about how soft the Softie is.

question for you midnight....how well can you throw an anny shot with a beat up one? Im really liking the feel of the plastic so far...haven't tried putting with it yet though lol

A beat Magnet will hold a nice Anny line. As a matter of fact a Magnet will hold almost any line you put on it. I throw Titanics as my main and approach putters, but they are just the Magnet in Star plastic. I also carry a very soft Magnet for when I need to stick the landing near water, or on a hill and it works great. I was practicing with my Soft Magnet this evening at the practice field and I nailed an 80ft putt. Of course for the Magnet, this is an easy feat and dosen't surprise me.

A beat Magnet will hold a nice Anny line. As a matter of fact a Magnet will hold almost any line you put on it. I throw Titanics as my main and approach putters, but they are just the Magnet in Star plastic. I also carry a very soft Magnet for when I need to stick the landing near water, or on a hill and it works great. I was practicing with my Soft Magnet this evening at the practice field and I nailed an 80ft putt. Of course for the Magnet, this is an easy feat and dosen't surprise me.

Nice!! Yeah I started out the tournament with a 60ft jump putt :D...thats a NICE way to start the round haha...but anyways, I might go out and buy some more if I find they putt easier then my aviars...I have a really nice beat aviar and I like the way it feels but it seems like the magnet holds my lines better....I might use the magnets for drives and then my aviars for P&A....we will see! lol....Im so indecisive about stuff to throw haha! I just got a J-bird dye'd star monster from winning the basket-toss....those things are BEASTS!!! holds a hyzer line right out of your hand....I have a feeling it will come in handy...

You can stay over there on the Magnet Bandwagon, that means more Wizards for me!!!!

glad to see you found a good putter, the bread and butter of your bag for sure.

I got 3 wizards from marshall street the X-out ones...I occasionally use the soft one for approaches cuase it reminds me of an aviar...but I have supersoft and a soft I dont use...the supersoft is kinda warper and u can tell..but it still flies true which is weird

First Soft Magnet

I also recently got my first soft magnet this weekend and I have fallen in love with it. Got it from clearwaterdiscgolf.com less than 2 days delivery to mississippi. It took about 20 holes for it to expand my confident putting range from about 12' to 20'. I still plan to use my dx aviar for approaches under 100'.

Actually anybody have any advice on approaching w/ the magnet???

Got a used Soft Magnet from DiscNation when I was starting out. Now it's the only putter I'll throw.

I just bought a Magnet from Prime Discs for approach/long putts. I'm sticking with the mold that works.

Just took Prime discs last two black magnets :p along with a pro-d blue one to test out the harder plastic.....damn disc addiction!! lol...oh well you make money..you spend money...haha...plus I don't have a tournament until Aug 9th, so I can save some money for a few weekends at least lol

yeah Magnets are great - have 2 hard ones and they are getting a little beat and go dead straight on putts. Made some decent long putts with some elevation the other day. they are great for approaches. A very controllable disc.

Latest posts