• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Conditions

"Unplayable" is to lazy-ass disc golfers as "unbelievable" is to lazy-ass sports commentators. There's only so much room for luxuries like rational thought after pooping, getting dressed, and eating.

Last edited:
I update course conditions on almost every course I play. Most of it is pretty straightforward. However, I struggle some on the really bad conditions. The worst rating is Poor/Unplayable. Those are not the same thing. I have played a lot of courses in poor condition. Since I played them, I would have a hard time saying the course is unplayable. Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but I would love to see a change on that.

To caveat off what Aclay said. To me unplayable means baskets pulled, construction going on, course damaged severely by natural disaster, or otherwise completely being unable to play. While poor means it is still playable, but it's in horrible condition and needs upkeep. Two very different things. If a course just needs mowed in a bad way but everything is still there, it's not unplayable. It's unpleasant to play.

To caveat off what Aclay said. To me unplayable means baskets pulled, construction going on, course damaged severely by natural disaster, or otherwise completely being unable to play. While poor means it is still playable, but it's in horrible condition and needs upkeep. Two very different things. If a course just needs mowed in a bad way but everything is still there, it's not unplayable. It's unpleasant to play.

1000% this.

This needs to be tweaked. Makes no sense as it is currently.

I have a hard time imagining a course in such bad need of mowing that I would mark it as unplayable. However, take Springfield Park that I played this week: It really needs mowing. Ancient tee signs, many of them unreadable. 9 hole course with 3 baskets missing. We've got 6-hole courses, so I'm saying playable. One basket is leaning SO badly that most putts will fall out. We're basically down to 5 baskets. Still playable. Probably half of of the remaining holes/course are under water. Is that course unplayable? It's awfully close.

I have a hard time imagining a course in such bad need of mowing that I would mark it as unplayable. However, take Springfield Park that I played this week: It really needs mowing. Ancient tee signs, many of them unreadable. 9 hole course with 3 baskets missing. We've got 6-hole courses, so I'm saying playable. One basket is leaning SO badly that most putts will fall out. We're basically down to 5 baskets. Still playable. Probably half of of the remaining holes/course are under water. Is that course unplayable? It's awfully close.

Maybe temporarily unplayable? Or Current Conditions warrant Caution? Like for courses that lay in a flood plain, there are times during the season where some or all of the course is a lake. There are grey areas for certain. I kinda wish there was a way of advising against playing until course conditions are checked (because some courses are marked unplayable from 5 years ago). Is it still unplayable? Is it still there? Did they finish the construction project that shut it down and now it's open again? I see in your case on the course you just mentioned it bills itself as a 9 hole course, but it is missing baskets, has a damaged one, and has several holes under water. I'd consider that "course" unplayable at the moment probably myself. Because it isn't a full course as advertised and is "damaged". But if I could choose Poor Condition, that's where I would put it. It's sorta still there, but in very poor condition.

I have a hard time imagining a course in such bad need of mowing that I would mark it as unplayable.
I used to think the same thing... until I tried to play Ozark Mtn in 2017. :eek:

I called ahead and the owner told me, "The grass is a bit long, but you can play if you don't mind that."

"A bit long" = Understatement of the year.

Dense prairie grass and weeds literally 3-4ft tall in the fairway. None of the courses had been mowed in God knows how long. My son and I tried to play and left after 3 holes. You know it's bad when I voluntarily leave a private course, thinking I'll probably never get another chance to play there.

Much better when I returned about a year later for a private event held just before the property was sold and all 3 courses were RIP'd.

So glad I got that 2nd chance to play all three courses that weekend.

Last edited:
For the most part on course conditions I only state the condition of the fairways as firm, dry, muddy, standing water, mowed, high grass, fallen tree etc. from recent weather conditions or lack of upkeep. I'm picky about fairway conditions. I have included missing baskets, broken baskets, and a basket crushed by a fallen tree just a few days before I bagged the course. A few times included crap tee boxes. If I think a basket or tee condition is going to take a while to correct, I'll include a wall post.

Poor/Unplayable I've only used once a few years ago a local course flooded out after several days of heavy rain couldn't reach the first tee, went back a month later after more rain and left the course after six holes, upgraded to bad, but made sure it was understood swamped with mostly standing water. I waited 5 months to go back, that's how bad it was flooded. Hawk Hollow is currently listed as unplayable because of calving season. I'm thinking about going back this year when it opens back up.

Bumping - this discussion seems still relevant, and worth considering as @greens continues to update the site, especially with an influx of new members.

I have just recently started updating Course Conditions after playing.

The site gives us a choice of 5 levels (see them for yourself on any course info page if you haven't already memorized them) and space to enter comments.

It seems to me that "Conditions" is a pretty broad term. It could legitimately include anything from the state of the baskets, to the amount of litter, the number of people present in a mutluse park, bugs, wet ground, tall grass and so on.

If you regularly enter Course Conditions, what do you include or exclude? How do you use the "Comments" option?

Last edited:
Bumping - this discussion seems still relevant, and worth considering as @greens continues to update the site, especially with an influx of new members.

I have just recently started updating Course Conditions after playing.

The site gives us a choice of 5 levels (see them for yourself on any course info page if you haven't already memorized them) and space to enter comments.

It seems to me that "Conditions" is a pretty broad term. It could legitimately include anything from the state of the baskets, to the amount of litter, the number of people present in a mutluse park, bugs, wet ground, tall grass and so on.

If you regularly enter Course Conditions, what do you include or exclude? How do you use the "Comments" option?
For me I normally just put the condition of the course itself. If it's wet, if there is over grown stuff, if they mowed recently. Not sure that's the best way to do it but I normally play fairly early and no one is on the course.

I include anything about the course that might differ from the norm. If the teepad is natural, that's not ideal, but that's always the case with the course, and that info can be found elsewhere. If those tees aresuper muddy, then it goes in course condition. I sometimes mention things like "pin placements are long", though that doesn't affect the numeric level.

I'll mark unplayable if the majority of the holes have waist-high grass or flooding. Anything that will make me turn around and leave, basically.

1) Simply marking a numerical value under course conditions is worse than a Udisc review.

2) I'll usually update the state of upkeep (noting especially when they haven't mown or trimmed and you will be losing discs in the fairway), muddiness (sometimes stating that I personally might not climb THAT hill until the ice melts...), changes to basket locations, and other comments that go beyond basic, permanent course info.

3) I ONLY use 'unplayable' if the owner wants it closed for any reason (for example: a course actually locks the gates, they want no play for a season to allow the grass to re-establish, or, say a cross country meet is using the fairways Saturday....), and sometimes if I KNOW they've pulled the baskets.