• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Conditions

Update season is upon us... :D Things are drying out surprisingly well here in MN!

If you play a course, update the conditions' DO IT!
I'm all over it... wondering when I'll earn my gold level Correspondent achievement.

I hear there's an app for that :p
Took me a while to figure out you need to use the pull down menu in the upper right corner of the app, to update conditions. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't just update the condition straight from the "course page" in the ap. :doh:

Guess I expected it to work more like the website. :eek:

Last edited:
Going on a trip to the Peoria area then to the Quad Cities this weekend. Will update courses as I go. :thmbup:

BogeyNoMore, I'm going to have to hit you up at some point. It's almost that time of the year again :clap:

Took me a while to figure out you need to use the pull down menu in the upper right corner of the app, to update conditions. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't just update the condition straight from the "course page" in the ap. :doh:

Guess I expected it to work more like the website. :eek:

Conditions don't show if there aren't any so I had to put that in the menu. I thought about putting a button under existing conditions but it just seemed like clutter and redundant to me.

No biggie - I was just like "I see the course conditions. I'm logged in. Why can't I update it?" I went about my day, then tripped over the 3 dots in the corner.

But I see what you mean... what I what trying to update isn't even dsplayed if there aren't any conditions (i.e. outdated course conditions).

It's all good! :hfive:

Even if everything's still same, just update and keep the current verbiage if it's still accurate. You're simply sating that those conditions were still applicable at a more recent date.
This is exactly what I was thinking upon updating conditions from courses I played this weekend. Even if a condition hasn't changed in weeks or months, it helps to know the condition is current.

Kudos to everyone for keeping course conditions updated. Great job out there folks! :clap:

IMHO, caution should be taken however in marking a course as 'Unplayable". That stays up until the next person goes there to update, and may keep road trippers away, even when things have gotten much better within even a matter of a few days. While we may feel like it's unplayable due to snow or mud, you have to remember the crazy, er, hardy folks out there who'll play in nearly any condition. If there are baskets, they're throwing.

Personally, I try to mark really rough conditions as 'Bad', and explain what's up. I try to save 'Unplayable' for a course with a locked gate or baskets pulled. The traveling DG player either can't, or shouldn't bother stopping by.

Conditions don't show if there aren't any so I had to put that in the menu. I thought about putting a button under existing conditions but it just seemed like clutter and redundant to me.

Darn, I didn't think about trying to update the conditions from the app while at the course. I'll mark that on my mental to-do list for next time.

Kudos to everyone for keeping course conditions updated. Great job out there folks! :clap:

IMHO, caution should be taken however in marking a course as 'Unplayable". That stays up until the next person goes there to update, and may keep road trippers away, even when things have gotten much better within even a matter of a few days. While we may feel like it's unplayable due to snow or mud, you have to remember the crazy, er, hardy folks out there who'll play in nearly any condition. If there are baskets, they're throwing.

Personally, I try to mark really rough conditions as 'Bad', and explain what's up. I try to save 'Unplayable' for a course with a locked gate or baskets pulled. The traveling DG player either can't, or shouldn't bother stopping by.

My course WAS starting to dry up from all the snow and flooding. I was ready to update course conditions from bad to decent, but...

Woke up to 5" of new snow :wall:

It's supposed to be in the 60's Thursday, but it's supposed to rain too :wall:

Hopefully it's good and dry for Sucker Camp the 18th and the Fore Nineteen dg event the next day. Parking on the grass might not be an option

One other idea I was toying with that I haven't implemented was to clear out conditions of 2-5 if they're over a month old. There doesn't seem to be much point in knowing what the course looked like a month ago. If a course has a condition of 1, that would stay since it could be a long term thing.

At the risk of restarting a conversation that ended long ago (though I don't see the discussion in this thread, flipping through quickly), this thread just crossed my radar.

I guess this change, quoted above, went in at some point? (At least a lot more courses than in the past seem to have no conditions info, sometimes even when I know they've _once_ had conditions info.)

Stale conditions info isn't _all_ that useful. But, it does give you some kind of a snapshot. One glimpse. Evidence that the course was in decent shape at a certain, dated, time in the past.

Maybe most of the time you'll get _something_ a review, or a round recorded, or some such. But, I wonder how often the last modified course information is the conditions. In that case, it seems a slight shame to lose it.

The condition info is already dated, so presumably people can choose to ignore it if they want. They already have to decide how seriously to take it (do I care if it was muddy a day ago? a week? three weeks?).

Anyway, idle chatter. No big consequence either way.

I can't say how much this bugs me. There was a course a few weeks back (don't remember where) that was marked unplayable. The person who updated it wrote (paraphrasing) "completely unplayable due to 8 inches of snow on the ground." I almost changed the course conditions to bad even though I hadn't played the course in a while.

I can't believe we have to spell this out, but...

Unplayable should only be used when the course is closed. If the course is open, and the conditions totally suck, just pick "Bad" and explain what sucks at the time you played. If it's weather related, it's bound to be better in a relatively short time.

I can't believe we have to spell this out, but...

Unplayable should only be used when the course is closed. If the course is open, and the conditions totally suck, just pick "Bad" and explain what sucks at the time you played. If it's weather related, it's bound to be better in a relatively short time.

I somewhat hedge on this with regard to some instances. Take, for instance, Marana Rock's complete flooding. The original course *IS* unplayable, and will not be so really any time in the future (if ever). The perimeter course bears little to no resemblance of the original. I haven't market it as unplayable, but it's not worth a road trip to play.

I somewhat hedge on this with regard to some instances. Take, for instance, Marana Rock's complete flooding. The original course *IS* unplayable, and will not be so really any time in the future (if ever). The perimeter course bears little to no resemblance of the original. I haven't market it as unplayable, but it's not worth a road trip to play.

On that one the perimeter course probably deserves a separate listing, like Dretzka park where there's a winter layout in the same park but it's a completely different layout.

Sorry, I've got to restate it, but I'm developing a little feeling of frustration as folks are stating courses are 'unplayable'. Keep in mind, the 'unplayable' tag stays until another DGCR member updates it. Sometimes that can be months.

Wet weather produces temporary and regional flooding, but most of the time, at least on courses around here, we don't get submerged baskets. Sometimes, folks are listing a course as 'unplayable' when the two or three holes that are prone to flooding become a miserable mess.

Again, I wish folks would write something like this: Course conditions? Bad. "If you enjoy wearing waterproof footwear that goes to your knees, you might enjoy the course as it stands now...wet and muddy throughout, with standing water about 8 inches deep for most of the x and y fairways. If you don't think that sounds fun, you might want to go to course Z until this dries out a bit."

Personally, I never consider a course 'Unplayable' unless the Parks Dept has closed the gate, or you know there are no baskets up... just sayin'. ;)

ps: agree with the above - a separate listing would be proper for that course. That's a special situation.

^^ this... although more for the "course is currently a giant mud pit" reasons.

Time for a necrobump. :)

Just saw someone had updated course conditions at a local. But they simply changed the condition rating number and left the old text (I'd written something about conditions at "today's" ice bowl on 2/22, and they didn't alter a single word). Kudos for the effort and input, but...