• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Conditions

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I've updated course conditions on the site as you may have already noticed. I think it's an important thing to keep current and it was buried and sort of a pain to update before. A quick list of what has changed:

- Moved conditions near the top of the course page
- Added an "Update Conditions" tab to the new conditions box
- Moved to a color bar rather than the little tree icons
- Conditions updates won't show up in the change log anymore as it would just crowd it with the (hopefully!) regular updates
- Courses with a condition of "1" or Unplayable will show up in the browse results, etc. in bold red with a little stop sign by it.

One other idea I was toying with that I haven't implemented was to clear out conditions of 2-5 if they're over a month old. There doesn't seem to be much point in knowing what the course looked like a month ago. If a course has a condition of 1, that would stay since it could be a long term thing.

I have been hoping for this for a long time. For us that live in a lot of crazy weather, it's nice to have as close to real time course conditions as possible. Definitely a great tool. :thmbup:

On a sad note, I'll never get my $1.14 back for buying http://www.discgolfcc.com .

:|

Thanks Tim. I usually try to update the conditions if its been a month or longer. How ever in OK and TX usually the conditions in late October stay the same through about January. So maybe give it 2 months or so.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't implemented that yet, just an idea I was throwing out there.

- Courses with a condition of "1" or Unplayable will show up in the browse results, etc. in bold red with a little stop sign by it.

One other idea I was toying with that I haven't implemented was to clear out conditions of 2-5 if they're over a month old. There doesn't seem to be much point in knowing what the course looked like a month ago. If a course has a condition of 1, that would stay since it could be a long term thing.

Thanks Tim! Nothing worse than showing up to a course that I didn't even take the time to visit the course page for and finding out it was hit by a tornado months ago (not a problem since I upgraded to android...) :D

Getting rid of old updates makes sense, reading that "the course is buried in about 3 feet of snow" in the middle of June is useful.

Like the new look for Course Conditions. It's a ton easier to read.

As a general rule of thumb, what entails having the course conditions updated? For example, it's raining in Charlotte today, up to an inch or two expected. Do we change every Charlotte course to reflect it's raining, courses will be muddy and full of puddles, or is the update for more important factors - downed trees, missing baskets, temporary closings, etc?

Like the new look for Course Conditions. It's a ton easier to read.

As a general rule of thumb, what entails having the course conditions updated? For example, it's raining in Charlotte today, up to an inch or two expected. Do we change every Charlotte course to reflect it's raining, courses will be muddy and full of puddles, or is the update for more important factors - downed trees, missing baskets, temporary closings, etc?

IMHO, I think course conditions should be updated within 24 hours of playing a particular course. For example, some courses in Charlotte may not be as muddy as others. Here in Minnesota, some teepads are cleaned off by leagues and some still covered in snow and ice.

I think it's helpful to to actually play the course to report on actual conditions.

Again, that's just my two cents.

^^ this.

It shouldn't be based on the weather report. Ideally it's something you would update after playing the course. Maybe there was a ton of rain and a particular course has a lot of standing water on hole #5 or something.

IMHO, I think course conditions should be updated within 24 hours of playing a particular course. For example, some courses in Charlotte may not be as muddy as others. Here in Minnesota, some teepads are cleaned off by leagues and some still covered in snow and ice.

I think it's helpful to to actually play the course to report on actual conditions.

#winning-- Courses change here weekly! More people should update this info REGULARLY it benefits us ALL...

^^ this.

It shouldn't be based on the weather report. Ideally it's something you would update after playing the course. Maybe there was a ton of rain and a particular course has a lot of standing water on hole #5 or something.

Thanks. That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

thanks Tim - I like it. Makes it easier to update, therefore more likely to be used.
Also like the idea of dropping updates after a couple of months or so.

Definately this.

Thanks guys. I'll put together something to expire conditions updates that are over 2 months old. I see some in the system from 2011... not too helpful! :)

Error!
"You can not update conditions for more than 5 courses per day. . ."

I have a few more that need it.. Anyway to fix this Tim?

also anyway to get the updated conditions to be included in the RSS/feed Recent Course Updates ? home page?

Error!
"You can not update conditions for more than 5 courses per day. . ."

I have a few more that need it.. Anyway to fix this Tim?

Realistically, most people can't play more than 5 in a day which is why the limit is there. There isn't a fix, it's meant to stop you at 5.

also anyway to get the updated conditions to be included in the RSS/feed Recent Course Updates ? home page?

I purposely exclude them from the home page and change log now. I can add it to the RSS feed although if this takes off it's going to just take over the feed and you'll miss the important stuff.

I never really used the course conditions because they were buried and usually never updated. This looks great and should make much easier to use. Fantastic.:clap::thmbup:

Conditions over "Bad" that are more than 3 months old will get cleared out each night. I was reviewing some of the "Bad" conditions and it seemed that information might still possibly be of some use.