• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Conditions

So, someone could do an email blast asking about local course conditions and get reports back...or ask the question on a local message board. There used to be a limit (for good reason ((fake updates for stat tracking)) If the intention is to increase the amount of valuable information, can you raise the limits or allow specific people to PM you for permission to get higher limits?

I would trust a recent update on here, just like I would an email from a course director that I would use to update DGCR. In neither case did I actually visit the course. I might be able to update 10 charlotte courses in 1 day, never playing the courses; by reaching out to my network of players who have played the course recently.

Conditions over "Bad" that are more than 3 months old will get cleared out each night. I was reviewing some of the "Bad" conditions and it seemed that information might still possibly be of some use.

Agree with the "Bad is probably still bad" statement. Thanks, it will be much more convenient to update conditions now.

Somewhat related and not really worth creating a separate thread for but I've added a 4 day weather forecast below the close courses for all US courses.

Realistically, most people can't play more than 5 in a day which is why the limit is there. There isn't a fix, it's meant to stop you at 5.

I purposely exclude them from the home page and change log now. I can add it to the RSS feed although if this takes off it's going to just take over the feed and you'll miss the important stuff.

thats understood- only issue is the 5 limit IMO as over a weekend or something a person could easily play that many and sit down to update but only get a few in and the others get left behind. Probably wont be an issue long term if the users continue to provide more frequent updates as the changes you made make possible. Thanks Tim!

I implemented that a while ago when there were guys updating conditions for like 20 courses in one go with what amounted to the weather forecast for the day. I agree that on the rare occasion it could be a problem but most people will never notice it.

So, someone could do an email blast asking about local course conditions and get reports back...or ask the question on a local message board. There used to be a limit (for good reason ((fake updates for stat tracking)) If the intention is to increase the amount of valuable information, can you raise the limits or allow specific people to PM you for permission to get higher limits?

I would trust a recent update on here, just like I would an email from a course director that I would use to update DGCR. In neither case did I actually visit the course. I might be able to update 10 charlotte courses in 1 day, never playing the courses; by reaching out to my network of players who have played the course recently.

-Players who wouldn't normally get on here and update conditions.

I'd have to code something to exclude certain people. If that's something you end up wanting to do let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Somewhat related and not really worth creating a separate thread for but I've added a 4 day weather forecast below the close courses for all US courses.

LOVE this. Saves me a step in planning out my play for the week.

Good on ya.

:clap:

Not a terrible idea if limited to some users, there were definitely some who went and updated every course in their state every day just to get the badge. I run into the limit a lot on road trips when I play 6-8 courses in a day and can't update conditions on all. I try to go back and get them after the trip if there isn't recent info, but I don't always get around to it.

i like this a lot! i just updated the conditions for Rockville Lake since i played it Saturday.
Also i love the weather forecast popup for the next 4 days! pretty cool!

Not a terrible idea if limited to some users, there were definitely some who went and updated every course in their state every day just to get the badge. I run into the limit a lot on road trips when I play 6-8 courses in a day and can't update conditions on all. I try to go back and get them after the trip if there isn't recent info, but I don't always get around to it.

Exactly-- Normally I notice conditions are out of date only when I check BEFORE going and see it 30+ days old... Maybe would be good idea to designate a forum member for each area, who is willing to do this regularly and frequently plays many different courses!? Also I understand the issue of many updates clogging the RSS feed/homepage but IMO that information is often more valuable than some random players pictures/video or new tournaments added (when up-coming are right there above)

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

This is just another really nice upgrade among many you keep doing, Tim. Thanks. :clap:
btw, I update courses frequently, but only in conjunction with entering a round in my score book that same day. If I were to wait even a day or two, telling somebody to watch for muddy conditions on certain holes might no longer be true... :\

FYI - In Colorado we have a number of seasonal courses that close for the winter due to their elevation. This closure can last as long as 6 months and in almost all cases it states: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON

So clearing out the status after 2-3 months seems like a bad thing in this instance.

Examples:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4730
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=949
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4738

Also I think a old status is better then no status just as long as it is clear how old the status is.

Like the new layout much better and hopefully that causes a lot more ppl to use it.

Hmm good point same here in MN-- Maybe adding CLOSED would be a good option because it is not always apparent (specially for an unseasoned DGCR user) how recent/true the status is and time is the best indicator of that. Any status from MN last fall is worthless-- Id rather not see one, be let down or skim it over thinking someone else did the updating'

also closed could be noted in the course descriptions, I guess..?

Last edited:
:thmbup: This is a nice improvement. Updating course conditions was something I could never quite remember how to do easily. I like the new look of the meter alot!!! Hopefully with it being near the top it will encourage more people to update it often. :thmbup:

I've updated course conditions on the site as you may have already noticed. I think it's an important thing to keep current and it was buried and sort of a pain to update before. A quick list of what has changed:

- Moved conditions near the top of the course page
- Added an "Update Conditions" tab to the new conditions box
- Moved to a color bar rather than the little tree icons
- Conditions updates won't show up in the change log anymore as it would just crowd it with the (hopefully!) regular updates
- Courses with a condition of "1" or Unplayable will show up in the browse results, etc. in bold red with a little stop sign by it.

One other idea I was toying with that I haven't implemented was to clear out conditions of 2-5 if they're over a month old. There doesn't seem to be much point in knowing what the course looked like a month ago. If a course has a condition of 1, that would stay since it could be a long term thing.

i really like this. i think deleting old updates would be good. It would encourage more updates but also might leave some people surprised as there are some important notes in there.

Latest posts