• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definition of "Pitch and Putt"

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
After measuring the distances of a course I am designing at my school, I got to thinking: What is the traditional definition of a "pitch and putt" course? What would the length of an average hole be on this kind of course?

I am curious to hear what everyone thinks...

It's a pretty subjective thing, I think.

For me personally...
Mostly Flat to Moderately Hilly
Lightly Wooded to Moderately Wooded
Average Hole length ~250' or lower

IMO its any course that doesn't offer a par 4 for someone rated between 850 and 900.....par can change for different skill levels. You could come to the Chicago area to get a full effect of what pitch and putt is all about.

This chart from the pdga can help if you are struggling with what distances you want to make the holes

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf

How much land do you have to work with?

If I can reach the hole with my drive (~375 feet) on every hole, that is what I consider a pitch n putt course. Any course that does not have any 2-shot holes. There is nothing wrong with these types of courses, as they tend to be the most-played courses as they are easy enough for everyone.

For me a true pitch and putt is usually flat with minimal obsticals. More than half the holes are under 250 feet. Basically a course Cubby would empty his bag on every hole to get his 10 aces for the week.

250ft and less~with several holes in the 150-225 mark

Moderate to low challange in terms of obstacles/elevation.

This

Subjective. But if I expect to get a 2 on most holes---especially if I'm teeing with a midrange or putter and expect to get a 2---it's a pitch-&-putt to me.

Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Mostly flat, and we are planting some trees, so in the future there will be more obstacles.

Pitch and putt, or not?

Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Mostly flat, and we are planting some trees, so in the future there will be more obstacles.

Pitch and putt, or not?
I've heard courses like that referred to as a "glorified pitch and putt" courses. If it's really flat with few obstacles then it looks like several pitch and putt holes with a few no-brainer 3's for anyone breaking 300'. It's better than a pitch and putt because there is some distance involved, but it needs more obstacles to make it interesting.

I've heard courses like that referred to as a "glorified pitch and putt" courses. If it's really flat with few obstacles then it looks like several pitch and putt holes with a few no-brainer 3's for anyone breaking 300'. It's better than a pitch and putt because there is some distance involved, but it needs more obstacles to make it interesting.

I'll agree with you on that. We are on a middle school campus with little foliage.

We are planting 16 trees this weekend, specifically for the course. They will be a little weak at first, but in a few years they should offer more of a challenge.

End result, we're getting disc golf in more kids' hands, and giving a second course in our town. Even if it isn't the best or most challenging at first, I think it will be a good thing.

I doubt that the local scene will really seriously dub it a "pitch n' putt" They may knock it as being too boring with the open conditions that are present now (until the plantings grow) and more likely knock it for being a nine holer - but likely not a center-vein pitch and putt due to the additional hole distances.

Sure, big arms, advanced and above players may make the occasional comment that direction, but you may have lost them at (nine holes) to begin with.

As a side note - I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone. This is especially true if you are in a saturated area for courses.

Edit: if this is a middle school, and its intended primarily for new school age players... gosh, maybe you do want to tailor it to that group as much as you can. It sounds like it is targeted to this group, so do everything you can to make it perfect for them, and let any other "players" deal with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I have put a lot of thought and planning into the course, but I have no illusions that it is going to cater to everyone. I just want to give kids a place to play, and an alternative to our other 9-holer in town, which is in a multi-use park that is crowded on weekends.

And I agree: Let the course be what it is. If you don't like it, just play elsewhere. Big arms won't like this course, but if you make it a mid-range practice course, you can make it work for you.

I doubt that the local scene will really seriously dub it a "pitch n' putt" They may knock it as being too boring with the open conditions that are present now (until the plantings grow) and more likely knock it for being a nine holer - but likely not a center-vein pitch and putt due to the additional hole distances.

Sure, big arms, advanced and above players may make the occasional comment that direction, but you may have lost them at (nine holes) to begin with.

As a side note - I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone. This is especially true if you are in a saturated area for courses.

I'll agree with you on that. We are on a middle school campus with little foliage.

We are planting 16 trees this weekend, specifically for the course. They will be a little weak at first, but in a few years they should offer more of a challenge.

End result, we're getting disc golf in more kids' hands, and giving a second course in our town. Even if it isn't the best or most challenging at first, I think it will be a good thing.
FWIW, I usually enjoy courses like this. It's like half field work and half playing on the course. They're great for introducing people to the sport, too becasue you don't spend much time looking for discs, but there's enough challenge for people to see what it really takes to get a disc to go 400'. The fact that it will grow into a "park like" course is a pretty big bonus.

I think if you HAVE to plant trees to add challenge, it's automatically a p'n'p.

Pitch and putt, like deuce or die, is typically a derogatory term used to describe a course, by players who fail to either make the pitch, and or the putt. :)