• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

Statistics tell us that most guys are envenomed by snakes on the hands and arms.

Most females are bitten on the feet and ankles.

Girls kick and run, guys pick them up.

Maybe girls are smarter than guys...

10371940_10201677264445752_5477388149640009982_n.jpg

A little friend on a round a few months ago, I counted the putt citing the snake rule.

Friend of our family (she babysits our kids) got bit by a rattler a few weeks back.

11 or 12 doses of anti-venom and about 2 1/2 days in the hospital.

She got the hospital bill: $260,000

You know why it cost so much? Because insurance companies will pay it. You know why insurance companies will pay it? Because all of our employers pay the exorbitant premiums. Anybody see anything stupid about this?

From the Charlotte paper:
"
Mooresville patient stunned by $89,000 charge for 18-hour hospital stay

By Karen Garloch
[email protected]
Posted: Monday, Jan. 27, 2014

Laura and Eric Ferguson were shocked by the bill from Lake Norman Regional Medical Center after he was treated for a snake bite in August 2013.
Store

How much should it cost to treat a snake bite?

It's hard to know given the lack of transparency in hospital pricing and billing today. But Laura and Eric Ferguson, both 54, of Mooresville, believe they were overcharged for his trip to the emergency room last year.

Eric Ferguson was taking out the trash one evening in August when he felt what he thought was a bee sting. When he looked down at his foot, he was surprised to see fang marks. He drove himself to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center about 15 miles from his home, where he received anti-venom medicine for the snake bite.

For an 18-hour hospital stay, he got a bill for $89,227. More than $81,000 was for the four-vial dose of anti-venom, or about $20,000 per vial.

Shocked at the amount, the Fergusons went on the Internet and found retail prices for the medicine ranging from $750 to $12,000 per vial.

Medicare, the federal health program for seniors, typically reimburses for drugs by paying the average sales price plus 6 percent. For a 1-gram vial of the snake bite medicine, that is $2,365. Medicare would pay $9,460 for the four-vial dose.

Eric Ferguson's treatment was covered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. With Blue Cross' contractual discount, Lake Norman Regional reduced his total bill to $20,227. Of that, the couple paid about $5,400 to cover their deductible and co-pays.

The medical care was "beyond phenomenal," Eric Ferguson said. "It was just the sticker shock." What made him and his wife angry was that the hospital charged so much initially and, even with the Blue Cross discount, wound up collecting about twice what Medicare would have paid.

"What if it was someone that didn't have the resources to research and didn't have insurance?" Laura Ferguson said. "What is fair and equitable here?"

Lake Norman Regional, a private for-profit hospital, is under scrutiny by others for questionable practices. In a 2010 lawsuit, recently unsealed in Mecklenburg County, two emergency room doctors alleged that Lake Norman and Davis Regional Medical Center in Statesville committed fraud by offering kickbacks to doctors who would order unnecessary tests and admit more patients to increase corporate revenues. The federal Department of Justice is also investigating.

Both hospitals are owned by Health Management Associates, one of the largest for-profit hospital chains. HMA has denied the allegations, which are repeated in lawsuits by other doctors in other states.

Asked to comment on the snake bite billing, Lake Norman officials provided a written statement: "… Hospitals only collect a small percentage of our charges, or 'list prices.' We are required to give Medicare one level of discount from list price, Medicaid another, and private insurers negotiate for still others. … If we did not start with the list prices we have, we would not end up with enough revenue to remain in operation. … Our costs for providing uncompensated care are partially covered by higher bills for other patients.

"In some cases, Lake Norman Regional's charge is considerably higher than other local hospitals," the statement said. But the hospital said it offers discounts of 62 to 65 percent to "self-pay" patients without insurance.

If it sounds complicated, it is.

Last summer, the North Carolina legislature passed laws that could make some hospital stays less painful and mystifying. Starting in June, hospitals must post prices for common procedures. They also must post their charity care policies and put their bills in plain, easy-to-understand language.

The more transparent the system, the reasoning goes, the better for consumers. As Laura Ferguson says: "You need to be your own health ambassador."
"

While I totally agree that healthcare is out of control and a huge contributing factor for that is the way our insurance system works...

LANDFILL HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :popcorn:

Oh yeah, that's called a "Put it the @#$% down and leave it alone" snake. Or how about pick it up and smash its head. (I wish u would've gotten bit)

10371940_10201677264445752_5477388149640009982_n.jpg

A little friend on a round a few months ago, I counted the putt citing the snake rule.

Hog nose. What a great snake. Does all kinds of acts, and will not bite no matter what. I had to release mine though. It would not eat in captivity.

I am guessing the person that picked it up (Pmantle?) knew exactly what he was dealing with.

It was our third. he doesn't post here. While I am not a snake hater, and catch them quite often, I've been bitten enough by non-venomous snakes to have a no catch policy on the venomous ones. Just not worth the risk that i screw up. This other guy disagrees. For now.

I still hope to catch one of our racers since I've never seen one close up. So far, they have been too fast for me in the shule.

It was our third. he doesn't post here. While I am not a snake hater, and catch them quite often, I've been bitten enough by non-venomous snakes to have a no catch policy on the venomous ones. Just not worth the risk that i screw up. This other guy disagrees. For now.

I still hope to catch one of our racers since I've never seen one close up. So far, they have been too fast for me in the shule.

You just need to find that one black racer in a non-running mood. I went to demonstrate to someone how fast they are recently, by nudging it with my foot, and instead of running, it coiled up into a tangle. Which rather startled me.

We've always killed copperheads on our property, but leave other snakes alone. (legal and smart) We've had a few dogs bitten by them over the years. Also potential for kids to be bitten. I haven't run across a copperhead on a disc golf course, but would likely leave it alone. I know that it's illegal to kill any plants or animals in state or federal parks, but assume it's also illegal in county/city parks.

This 6-ft. black racer was perched in a bush about five feet off the ground on #5 at Sugaw Creek GC in Charlotte, just checking things out.

Attachments

• black racer.jpg
    black racer.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 160
This thread is awesome, don't know how I've missed it for so long. We have a number of Bull Snakes and Diamond Backs at, well, Diamond X, hence the name. I'll try to get some photos this summer. They are getting harder to find since people kill them :thmbdown:

I was kinda bummed when I played Lester Lorch last week... and saw no snakes. :(

Garter from last weekend, also at Buhlow. These are everywhere now.

2015-04-03%2011.27.53.jpg