• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Hurricane...Do u have one?????

I have an SP that I'm trying to break in. Right now it's overlapping a good bit with my Z Force. I also picked up a Proline Hurricane yesterday (my first Proline), and it bombs. PIAS had 3 factory second Hurricanes, and I picked the one with the most dome. When thrown with hyzer, it flips up, turns, and comes back nicely. I may need to go buy those other two to see how flat Prolines fly...

I've been throwing mine very often for 6 months now and they are just perfect. At the moment I carry a slightly worn overstable 174 sp, a slightly worn overstable 169 proline, a straight flying well worn 169 proline, and an understable well worn 174 proline and I don't think I could be happier with any lineup of drivers...although I might buy a flx. All 4 and the 174 sp I have in reserve are identical in shape and started out equally overstable. I played my first tournament yesterday on a loong open course with a ton of ob, water, and 20mph winds and they really shined.

I won't lie though, I favor legacy as my favorite brand and I will be trying their new speed 12 overstable driver when it's released and I will switch if it is equal to the hurricane. Although there is virtually no point in this and it will cost me time/money/strokes I just feel compelled to do so...must be an OCDish tendency. A lot of legacy discs just appeal to me.

I have an SP that I'm trying to break in. Right now it's overlapping a good bit with my Z Force. I also picked up a Proline Hurricane yesterday (my first Proline), and it bombs. PIAS had 3 factory second Hurricanes, and I picked the one with the most dome. When thrown with hyzer, it flips up, turns, and comes back nicely. I may need to go buy those other two to see how flat Prolines fly...

I love the flat prolines. They are more overstable than the domier ones. They compliment each other very well. Although I have thrown one FAF Hurricane that was too inconsistent. It would flip but didnt have much glide either.

I've started a little collection myself. I hear a lot of good things about the First Flight '11 Worlds Canes. I see several yellow or clear ones w/ the big stamp, but there are these John Baldwin stamped SPs. Are they just commemorative, or do they share the characteristics of the FF?

Ive been really liking my flx hurricane. Soooo stable but drfinately my go to when we get the big headeinds.

Ive been really liking my flx hurricane. Soooo stable but drfinately my go to when we get the big headeinds.

Just got mine a week ago, plastic is ridiculously grippy. Even flatter than my sp/prolines, high PLH, and more overstable/less glide. I've thrown it between 10-50 times it's definitely suitable for long hyzers into headwinds and other uniquely tricky shots. Only 1000 produced apparently.

I've started a little collection myself. I hear a lot of good things about the First Flight '11 Worlds Canes. I see several yellow or clear ones w/ the big stamp, but there are these John Baldwin stamped SPs. Are they just commemorative, or do they share the characteristics of the FF?

The desirable FFs are the Prolines. They are cash money with sooo much glide. I just got another one today :)

That is my understanding.

I get that new molds sell better than old ones, but wonder in what way the Kong will be different than a 'cane.

Interesting. I just checked the tech standards numbers and they're almost identical. So should we go ahead and start the rumor that the Kong IS the Hurricane? Or just talk about how the Hurricane is the better Kong? I mean the Reef is the better APX and the Breaker is the better Ringer. You could go so far as to proclaim the Tsunami as the better Pred, the Rogue as the better Surge, the Tremor as the better Archer, the Quake as the better Drone, the Titanic as the better Magnet, and the Steady BL as the better Roach (I do). So the better Kong, the Hurricane, seems like a natural fit.

But the Breaker IS a better Ringer.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all those not exact 1:1 the same mold?

I will say I'm down for the Kong = Hurricane conspiracy. It's obvious Discraft wouldn't want to dilute their new free agent splash by having him throw a sister brand. They already have the destroyer clone mold laying around, who says no?

I think all of them are different in some way or another.

hurricane- modified force/ maybe an attempt at a force ss?
tsunami- predator prototype
riptide- modified wildcat
rogue- modified surge
squall- beadless storm

I think the hurricane has too much turn for big arms for it to be a true destroyer replacement. I'd imagine the Kong is somewhere in between the force and hurricane.

But the Breaker IS a better Ringer.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all those not exact 1:1 the same mold?

"You're not wrong" - Ian Anderson
Same goes for the Reef. It even has APX embossed on the back. Titanic has Magnet on the back, but it's taller (better).

I think all of them are different in some way or another.

hurricane- modified force/ maybe an attempt at a force ss?
tsunami- predator prototype
riptide- modified wildcat
rogue- modified surge
squall- beadless storm

Different in a better way. And I love that you included the better Wildcat/Avenger the Riptide and the Squall. And while I've never thrown a Storm, there's no way it's better than the greatest mold ever produced.

I think the hurricane has too much turn for big arms for it to be a true destroyer replacement. I'd imagine the Kong is somewhere in between the force and hurricane.

You're probably right about the Kong stability.... but Exhibit A for my case for the Cane clone is McBeth struggling to get the Force flipped over. Nate Doss prefers a super seasoned Force, and Sias Elmore can thump a Hurricane. From my biased standpoint with limited experience with Destroyers, I'd say you could find a Hurricane with the same flight as your favorite Destroyer, although DGA only makes Canes in premium plastic.

Interesting. I just checked the tech standards numbers and they're almost identical. So should we go ahead and start the rumor that the Kong IS the Hurricane? Or just talk about how the Hurricane is the better Kong?

I'm thinking the Kong is going to be Discrafts version of the hurricane/destroyer slot?

That is my understanding.

I get that new molds sell better than old ones, but wonder in what way the Kong will be different than a 'cane.

I will say I'm down for the Kong = Hurricane conspiracy. It's obvious Discraft wouldn't want to dilute their new free agent splash by having him throw a sister brand. They already have the destroyer clone mold laying around, who says no?

I stumbled on this debunking video:

https://youtu.be/sUZn9fgSBp4

I have a SP Hurricane on the way and am really hoping it fits with what I'm looking for. I recently started throwing a 167 Destroyer (*DS circa 2013ish) and really like it, but am worried that it is a bit of a snowflake. I max at about 350-375' for golf lines, and at that power I can rip it at 8-10' off the ground and have a pretty much laser straight line (maybe slight turn) with no fear of it flipping, even with some headwind. I don't know much about Destroyers but it sounds like a PITA to find runs like this. I picked up a 175 C-line DDx hoping to find something close to this flight but have found it to be unpredictable on that lower line, needing air time to fade back to center.

I'm really hoping that the Hurricane fits the bill, but maybe it's the Kong I'm looking for?

Also, is the Hurricane a fairly consistent mold? If I find it fits what I'm looking for can I order online (pretty much my only option) with some confidence?

Latest posts