• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Allstar Weekend

Here's an idea for the skills competition in the future, possibly. How about an Ace Race? Set up holes at easily aceable distances, say starting at 250 & gradually moving out. And since Discraft is a sponsor of this years All-Star tourney, maybe they can throw their name on this portion of the games, as well. It's a funsies tourney anyway, I'd love to see folks trying to blow up chains. The con side to that is, I've heard, some hitters after being in a homerun derby have their swing messed up for a spell. Maybe that would translate to an Ace Race too? Just a thought.

I agree that would be a fun event, but 250 and longer will not produce many aces even for the pros. Holes in the 150-200 range will increase ace numbers and excitement level. :clap:

New to max D comp. . kind of wierd that they measure were the disc ends up. . not were it first hits the gound

Thanks Steve. I should have stated my thoughts more clearly. When I said

I was saying that the vast majority of holes average under par. I see how "too easy" doesn't communicate that. People aren't precise with language (people = me).

Can you run your numbers and give a breakdown of holes in elite series events (or whatever you think is best, such as "events with top players) in groups of .25 strokes? for instance,

20% of holes averaged greater than .5 strokes below par
20% of holes averaged between .5 and .25 strokes below par
40% of holes averaged between .25 strokes below par and par
15% of holes averaged between par and .25 strokes above par
4% of holes averaged between .25 and .5 strokes above par
1% of holes averaged greater than .5 strokes above par.

The above stats are inaccurate, they're simply an example of the information I'd like to see. Please, for the sake of confusion, misquote me and state these as facts.

Sure.

I don't look at field averages, because the participants very so much.

Here's a chart of how the scores of 1000-rated players compared to event par and guideline par for these holes.

attachment.php

For 1000-rated players, they averaged under event par on 61% of the holes, but would have averaged under guideline par on 46% of the holes.
Or, the average score for 1000-rated players was 0.07 under event par, while it would have been 0.08 over guideline par.

For 1050-rated players, they averaged under event par on 85% of the holes, but would have averaged under guideline par on 71% of the holes.
Or, the average score for 1050-rated players was 0.32 under event par and would have been 0.17 under guideline par.

Attachments

• RyanPar.png
    RyanPar.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 291
That is how it is normally done. In this competition they were allowing rollers so it had to be where the disc came to rest.

It's a shame Eagle is putting, would've loved to see him go for a monster roller. I'm assuming this is being played on a ball golf course?

I have no idea how this thing works. Seems too convoluted. Im not going to go to the website to research what this event is about. You gotta dumb it down in a social media post.

Glad I'm not the only one. Looks like the ladies at least are having fun with it so that's cool

Is DGPT coverage worth it for this event?
My issues:
* Once the live event is over, you can no longer view the DVR until the next day. So unless you are watching the whole thing live, you have to wait until the next day.
* The coverage has been fair at best--the catch cameras have been weak, often not even showing the flight of the disc. Bear in mind this is essentially a wide open course, should not be hard to follow for an experienced cameraperson.
* The main teeside cameras have often shown the player, not the disc. Uhhh..I know what these guys look like, I want to see the throws.
* The course--the scenery is great with mountains in the background, but the course is just another ball golf course, with some OB added to keep the bombers honest, but with fewer forced shot shapes than I would otherwise like to see.
*Doss is still commentating. I like him as a person, might even like to play a round with him, but his over-dramatizing every throw has gotten to me after 3 years. "This is a very important toss for Smith, if he goes OB, the PDGA will cancel his membership and thieves will break into his RV and steal his backup putters."
YMMV

My issues:
* Once the live event is over, you can no longer view the DVR until the next day. So unless you are watching the whole thing live, you have to wait until the next day.
* The coverage has been fair at best--the catch cameras have been weak, often not even showing the flight of the disc. Bear in mind this is essentially a wide open course, should not be hard to follow for an experienced cameraperson.
* The main teeside cameras have often shown the player, not the disc. Uhhh..I know what these guys look like, I want to see the throws.
* The course--the scenery is great with mountains in the background, but the course is just another ball golf course, with some OB added to keep the bombers honest, but with fewer forced shot shapes than I would otherwise like to see.
*Doss is still commentating. I like him as a person, might even like to play a round with him, but his over-dramatizing every throw has gotten to me after 3 years. "This is a very important toss for Smith, if he goes OB, the PDGA will cancel his membership and thieves will break into his RV and steal his backup putters."
YMMV

Three things:

#1, it's not a full day to re-watch once coverage is over. Its about 3-4 hours for them to process and re-load the now-taped, (formerly live-)stream.

#2 -- My interp from watching is that they are using this event to "try" some new things production-wise. Being as it is ultimately an exhibition, I think that is a worthy pursuit. We'll see if anything sticks.

#3 -- in every sport there are commentators you like and ones you don't. When I want to just watch something and don't like the commentator, I just turn the volume down. Personally I like Nate Doss's commentary. His "over-the-top" excitement seems genuine in my mind, so I can accept that he really is glad to be doing it. But like everything, each one of us has his/her/their own opinion.

#3 -- in every sport there are commentators you like and ones you don't. When I want to just watch something and don't like the commentator, I just turn the volume down. Personally I like Nate Doss's commentary. His "over-the-top" excitement seems genuine in my mind, so I can accept that he really is glad to be doing it. But like everything, each one of us has his/her/their own opinion.

I don't care for Doss either but he sure beats Philo. Pretty funny too that Philo often can commit to both playing in the event and commentating the lead card, since he has plenty of time to putt out on 18 and prepare for when the lead card tees off on 1.

I think Nikko pretty much punched Ezra's brother in the face in a post shot celebration.

Latest posts