• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Resistance is futile

As someone who likes to watch the best disc golf, and can't stand the Koling/Ulibarri commentary, I've been willing to pay for the DGPT coverage for several years now, and am satisfied with the entertainment value it delivers. Have watched since the beginning, and it has shown steady improvement.

I'm not even downloading the app. There is plenty of media begging for my attention on sources I already use. To gate keep all the content in 1 app, behind a paywall is foolish.
What other sport provides free live coverage? Within a few years I believe all major sports will be on this model. The NFL did it with one game already and looks to be heading for more. I know disc golf/ NFL comparisons is absurd but I believe people just didn't know how much of the TV bill was going for live sports that in a way are behind a paywall. You just don't realize it because it's included in a package. I believe the future in sports will be pay for every little thing you want to see. Will that work for small sports with low veiwership? I don't know, but how else do you fund costs for building up a broadcasting operation?

ANNNND a few days before the start of the season, DGPT increases prices and sets up a 'tiered' membership.

Big news for the 2024 season! Disc Golf Network will offer THREE subscription plans for 2024. Each plan will offer upgraded live DVR (pause, rewind), 60fps streaming, and instant playback after each round.
Read more about the new subscription options and the full 2024 live media plan here:
https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/2024-live-media-plan/
"Grow the sport" has always meant, "make us more money, guys!"

Disc golfers are the biggest group of winers and crybabies I've ever seen.
Ain't that the damn truth. I don't watch live simply because I don't wish to dedicate the amount of time it takes, and when I first watched, I wasn't impressed with the coverage. It sounds like it's been steadily improving though, and with the new distribution, it should improve more. Seems like they're charging a fair rate for a niche sport.

Disc golfers always complain when they have to pay for anything, as if it's a crime that someone should make a living doing something besides selling discs or being an elite level pro. Sure the DGPT is trying to turn a profit, that's the only way it will be sustainable. I doubt they've seen a significant ROI so far, if any.

I went ahead and paid for it because resistance IS futile. I've started to prefer live DG over post-produced, but I also work a slow uninterrupted job at home, so it's a great background noise.

But isn't this what disc golf always wanted - big corporate support? I've heard for nearly two decades now - "If only Nike/Budweiser/Adam&Eve or some other big company would just put $1 million towards discin', we'd be huge!" Well now we got what we thought was needed, but with that comes the corporation's needs too - to make a profit.

If DGPT doesn't work and the investors bail, no company is going to make a similar investment in this sport for a long time, maybe never again.

Without silver events, and without DGN coverage of Q series, the non-top-40 players won't be seen as much on film. This might explain how several players didn't really get much of a Major Brand deal offer this year. Next year could be far worse for mid-level contracts.

What other sport provides free live coverage? Within a few years I believe all major sports will be on this model. The NFL did it with one game already and looks to be heading for more. I know disc golf/ NFL comparisons is absurd but I believe people just didn't know how much of the TV bill was going for live sports that in a way are behind a paywall. You just don't realize it because it's included in a package. I believe the future in sports will be pay for every little thing you want to see. Will that work for small sports with low veiwership? I don't know, but how else do you fund costs for building up a broadcasting operation?
NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA Football, NCAA basketball, NCAA hockey, NCAA baseball, NCAA womens basketball, NCAA womens softball, NCAA womens volleyball, pro womens hockey, Canadian football, Little league baseball, high school football, high school basketball, several NASCAR brands, X Games, Olympic coverage, several styles of world cup skiing, several styles of figure skating.... just off the top of my head. This is ONLY television live coverage. The list of youtube and online free, live coverage is nearly endless.

Last edited:
NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, NCAA Football, NCAA basketball, NCAA hockey, NCAA baseball, NCAA womens basketball, NCAA womens softball, NCAA womens volleyball, pro womens hockey, Canadian football, Little league baseball, high school football, high school basketball, several NASCAR brands, X Games, Olympic coverage, several styles of world cup skiing, several styles of figure skating.... just off the top of my head. This is ONLY television live coverage. The list of youtube and online free, live coverage is nearly endless.
Most of these you don't get unless you pay out the butt for cable. You're paying for it, it's just not as obvious. Also if you have cable you have HGTV and nickelodeon which prevents you from watching sports.

I'm not even downloading the app. There is plenty of media begging for my attention on sources I already use. To gate keep all the content in 1 app, behind a paywall is foolish.
More like a Dumb. I mean, this is even worse, they bought out Johnny Discgolf on Youtube at end of 2022 becuse Disc Golf Pro Tour wanted all media even post round interviews for own use. Disc Golf Pro Tour is going to have itself collapse inward slowly like top level Bowling has when moved off ESPN/ABC in early 2010's for own streaming service when streaming was still really new.

Most of these you don't get unless you pay out the butt for cable. You're paying for it, it's just not as obvious. Also if you have cable you have HGTV and nickelodeon which prevents you from watching sports.
Yes....nothing in life is free. Over the air/antenna TV has the cost of a television, electricity, a shelter, heat, furniture, snacks, taxes and the forgone time to make more money.

This has always been my take on the DGPT debacle. Every move they have made seems to make it more difficult to find new eyes and easier for current viewership to walk away. I guess, once the sport is grown, they will make millions then.
I'll take the contrarian position and argue that it's good for public interest in DG that DGN live coverage is hidden as much as possible from the public because it's an embarrassing product relative to the slickness of Jomez.

The 4 major leagues and the 2 top men's collegiate sports can be found OTA without paying for cable. Occasionally some other sports as well.

While my desire to play dg is unchanged, I'm way less interested in watching tourneys than I used to be. I may catch a jomez video here and there, but that'll be it.

Hope that those of you who are still into it are satisfied with what DGPT provides this year.

This is me for the most part. I don't think I watched a single round last year. I don't have 5 hours to dedicate to a live stream, and I much preferred Sexton on commentary than Uli.

The 4 major leagues and the 2 top men's collegiate sports can be found OTA without paying for cable. Occasionally some other sports as well.
Yep. Rabbit ears still work. Around me CBS is channel 2, which is really hard to get a good signal on. Don't know if it's because it's at the end of the spectrum or if they just have a lousy antenna; it might as well be behind a paywall for me.

For the other networks, I can watch live sports with a decent picture (and no cable/streaming delay) OTA.

While my desire to play dg is unchanged, I'm way less interested in watching tourneys than I used to be. I may catch a jomez video here and there, but that'll be it.

Hope that those of you who are still into it are satisfied with what DGPT provides this year.
Well put. Same here. Ate up Jomez and others during covid. Not so much into watching the tourney's offered. Definitely not into what DGN has done to their model. Two years ago you could pause and ff, they took that away. Like all MBAs, they only think of how to take something that at one time came with your purchase and turn it into a tiered access model. What they don't get is that participation has actually dropped significantly. Covid ended, folks quit needing a hobby that kept them outside in open spaces away from others.

No problem with it personally. I've been paying to watch soccer and rugby for years and probably still am paying less than I did for my cable package in 2015. And the productions are sometimes even more amateurish than DGN.

What is crazy? The yearly rates. For the basic and standard packages, they are charging ten times the monthly rate. For the Pro package the price is the same as if you paid monthly. So I can't imagine the justification for paying the yearly rate for essentially 8 months of content. Most other packages charge 50-70% of the monthly cost.

For the record, I am looking forward to the new season. The live production has gotten steadily better over the years. My biggest complaint was the inability to pause the live broadcast or start watching it whenever I wanted after the live broadcast started. That apparently has been fixed for this year. I agree the pricing is getting a bit steep, but honestly the cost for a year subscription at the Standard level is about the same as it costs me to take my family out to dinner these days. It also says you get two devices at that level (3 devices at the Pro level), so maybe I can split the cost with a friend? Not exactly sure if the different devices can be used in different houses at the same time. Bring on the 2024 season of live disc golf!

Not exactly sure if the different devices can be used in different houses at the same time.

If it functions similarly to my other subscriptions with similar restrictions, it will work fine if you are both only using a single device to view the broadcasts. If you like using multiple devices (upstairs TV, downstairs TV, phone, laptop, computer at work, etc.) it can be a pain in the neck to un-register and re-register devices.