• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Sold to Todd Rainwater

I've said it a zillions times, charge something like $5.00 to watch the live event then put it out for free with ads 1 week later. @ $5.00 a peep, how many would you need to sell to match the typical ad revenue generated during the first week of release? (Which includes the live broadcast and post replay views.)

How has the sport grown to this point, without all that money?

Currently that money is coming from manufacturers.

Only this little corner of the sport---the online spectator corner. Perhaps the pro tour, as a full-time job for players, as well. I suspect all other aspects of the sport will continue to grow rapidly, with or without cash from the manufacturers.

I think this begs the question.....why. IMO, because sponsors understand that the sport does not lend itself to bigtime viewer numbers. It is a tiny niche sport. Sponsors are much better off putting money towards bowling, darts, cornhole, poker, surfing.....

Yes. It's not who we are, so much as how many.

100% hypothetical for JVD and Jamie as the premise is unrealistic:
What would occur tomorrow if TD's banded together and said we are no longer paying to have our events covered? Would coverage simply go away (I doubt it)? Obviously there would be less of it but I would think that would tend to raise the value of what remained to a degree .

The (almost all volunteer) TD's are just as responsible for the generation of the content as the media crews (generation, not ownership) but seem to have virtually no stake in any of this.

Biscoe, there would be less coverage but it would not go away. Manufacturers would still sponsor some coverage and Patreon would still cover some costs for these guys.

It has been my honest thought that no large event should ever pay for post production. There is an ample supply of media companies and a high demand for it. SOMEONE will cover it, in fact we as we discussed earlier they will pay for the rights now. Paying for coverage can be good to promote a smaller event trying to garner attention.

I've said it a zillions times, charge something like $5.00 to watch the live event then put it out for free with ads 1 week later. @ $5.00 a peep, how many would you need to sell to match the typical ad revenue generated during the first week of release? (Which includes the live broadcast and post replay views.)

I say put it on twitch. Have a few in round interviews with questions fielded from the subs of the channel. With this method you could still run ads and still allow people a chance to watch it live for free.

ISUME, we can do all that on YouTube right now. I don't think that the platform is the issue that we were really discussing. More so the larger issue of overall funding long term to make the tours viable investments.

dorseymatt, I agree that getting more fans is the primary objective. But as discussed here, there are so many other factors at play. Sponsors, manufacturers, media teams, etc. And from my perspective putting things behind a paywall doesn't hurt anyone as long as you have it available to the public at some point. If a new fan is watching an event from 3 weeks ago versus 24 hours ago, I don't think it matters that much.

But as any business that is trying to make a profit will tell you, getting as much as they can from their customers is their primary objective.

Dcinmd. Yes it is the circle of life. And as long as the sport continues to grow the manufacturers will continue to pump money into the machine. The question becomes if that model is sustainable long term? We don't know yet.

None of us have the right answer. All we can do is guess. The off season should be interesting.

No, not taking potshots. It'd be very clear if I had been.

I did not say that DGWT or Dodge's DGPT were paywalled, only that it is my belief that was the intent of what they were doing (especially Dodge), but they didn't get there.

Eventually the best solution will work itself out. But it may not be what some think or hope it will be... :popcorn:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I agree that eventually all media is going to a paywall, though I don't see that as a bad thing. Some people want MORE out of us, and they are willing to fund it as a group to see it. I don't think it will be sustainable until there are enough fans in both "pools" - casual aka "fine with whatever we get" and hardcore "MORE STATS MORE STORIES MORE ACTION".

Frankly, as more people cut the cord and stop paying $150-200/mo. for all those cable channels they never watch, they'll be more willing to drop $5-20/mo. for various disc golf specific content providers to fill their time.

For those that haven't cut the cord yet - I highly recommend it. Come to the online-only side. You won't miss cable except for NFL games (and when the NFL pulls its head out of its ass and dumps their DirecTV agreement they can start an OTT service of their own and cash in).

100% hypothetical for JVD and Jamie as the premise is unrealistic:
What would occur tomorrow if TD's banded together and said we are no longer paying to have our events covered? Would coverage simply go away (I doubt it)? Obviously there would be less of it but I would think that would tend to raise the value of what remained to a degree .

The (almost all volunteer) TD's are just as responsible for the generation of the content as the media crews (generation, not ownership) but seem to have virtually no stake in any of this.

So, quickly I want to address the 2nd point first. I disagree as a TD that I am responsible for the generation of content. I'm responsible for the generation of the story/storylines. It seems like a semantic argument, but I'm phrasing it that way because it goes back to the discussion of rights and ownership. Additionally, turning compelling storylines into compelling content is the main job of the Producer, and if that producer fails in that quest it shouldn't reflect on the TD.

However, I think that we're aiming to say the same thing, which is that the system doesn't work without great TD's hosting great events to attract great players - so point well made and I agree there.

I summarily agree with JVD here:

Biscoe, there would be less coverage but it would not go away. Manufacturers would still sponsor some coverage and Patreon would still cover some costs for these guys.

It has been my honest thought that no large event should ever pay for post production. There is an ample supply of media companies and a high demand for it. SOMEONE will cover it, in fact we as we discussed earlier they will pay for the rights now. Paying for coverage can be good to promote a smaller event trying to garner attention.

If I were a TD of an annual Tour event - I would be working with the media groups to form a 3-to-5 year plan that reduces payments from the Event directly over time, down to $0, and shapes a revsharing agreement in that timeframe. After that timeframe we would revisit and decide whether it makes more sense to charge the media team for the right to film, or to continue the revshare - this discussion would be in context of the growth of the overall industry and market size, to find a sensible solution. If the industry is big enough in 5 years that I can charge enough to grow my event, and the media team can swallow that cost and still profit? That's capitalism baby. If not, then you stay in a tethered-together system aimed at mutual growth.

Alternatively, what I'm doing with CCDG/San Francisco Safari this year is playing the middleman. I found a company to pay for the entire media package in return for (most of) the ad spots and a "Presenting Media Sponsor" credit, among other perks. CCDG gets paid + makes their patreon/YT money, and my media cost is $0. Essentially, as a TD I'm beginning the process of separating the "Event Sponsorship" from the "Media Sponsorship" so that my sponsors know precisely what their money goes towards, as well as keeps clean lines of separation and IMO avoids the big pain point discussion that we've been having in this thread.

Honestly, I believe we can make our TD'ing lives easier by starting to bifurcate those two things and treat them as separate opportunities rather than treating media/content as an ad-hoc piece of the event, like a players party, or like a raffle. Media needs its own space and its own funding - and frankly companies will be more responsive with this method. Local/Regional businesses will fare better advertising "on the ground" to the spectators and people physically in the area, where disc golf brands and larger companies in ecommerce or internationally-renowned retailers will benefit more from digital marketing.

The more you can offer specific engagement to sponsors as a TD, the more you can raise.

Last edited:
For those that haven't cut the cord yet - I highly recommend it. Come to the online-only side. You won't miss cable except for NFL games (and when the NFL pulls its head out of its ass and dumps their DirecTV agreement they can start an OTT service of their own and cash

Mamma said Foosball the Devil

Edit: dang it Streets, how do you get all those memes to load?

Attachments

• tenor (3).jpg
    tenor (3).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Mamma said Foosball the Devil

Edit: dang it Streets, how do you get all those memes to load?

alens.jpg

Essentially, as a TD I'm beginning the process of separating the "Event Sponsorship" from the "Media Sponsorship" so that my sponsors know precisely what their money goes towards, as well as keeps clean lines of separation and IMO avoids the big pain point discussion that we've been having in this thread.

Most important part. Also the source of a huge ad issue with Jomez and the DGPT sponsors earlier in the year iirc

I think that was an issue in 2018 with Jomez and Ledgestone. Jomez was heavily sponsored by Innova and Ledgestone is a Discraft event.

I am sorry if this has been posted already. DGPT Tour Director Jeff Spring talks about new management and changes to the DGPT Championship by Johnny Disc golf.

Latest posts