• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Dog Injuries?

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
I played a round with my wife and dad earlier today. We took our disc dog in training Ninja with us. He is a small dapple dachsund, but regularly walks 18 holes with us. He stops and sits when we throw and knows not to touch the discs. Anyway, we are walking up Hole 8 when a guy shanks like crazy from Hole 2, barely misses my wife, gives a halfassed quiet 'heads', and drills my dog in the chest with a full speed drive! Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I start to go up to this guy and he keeps edging behind trees and trying to act like he doesn't see me. So I walk back, collect his disc, add it to my bag, and we take the dog to get checked out. He ended up freaked out, but completely alright. Turns out this guy works at the warehouse right next to ours.

This got me thinking how much worse it coulda been for my dog and if anyone has had similar instances. If your disc dog has ever gotten hit, or injured on the course post your stories here.

I'll get a pic of my disc dog up soon.

My dog has been hit a couple times, now she's pretty careful to keep an eye out on the course, she's dodged a couple close ones since then. She also once found a fire ant nest, we were wondering why she was just sitting and whining, then we saw the red ants all over her paws and legs. The poor thing limped the rest of the day. Never anything serious though, and she still begs to come along whenever we pick up our bags to go.

Yeah, I'm taking him out again tomorrow. We'll see how he acts. It's the 1st time he's ever been hit and he's pretty small. Luckily he's a barrel-chested little guy.

Sorry to hear your dog got hurt, but that's the kind of thing that happens if you bring a dog to a disc golf park. People will be throwing discs, and there is no skill requirement to play a public park. It was bound to happen eventually.

But I take offense that a guy shanked a drive, said heads up loud enough that you heard it, and you stole his disc?

Dick move.

My mini daschund got rocked at a tourney with putter. Right in the ribs, now she hated discs.

But don't be a dick about your dog being hit, you are on a disc golf course aren't you? If it was at a dog park then you could continue your dickish ways.

Last edited:
Glad he's ok. My dog was hit a couple of times, but she only goes out to one course with me and she knows when to clear the fairway now. She had one skid off the top of her head and she's gotten hit a couple of times in the chest. But, my dog is like MashNut's, she loves to go everytime we go out.

Luckily, there haven't been any serious accidents but I can imagine how it's possible there would be.

Attachments

• abby2.jpg
    abby2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 25
Forest hasn't been hit other than putts, though he's come close if I let him run ahead, I'm sure he'll learn there sometime.

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, AR, a private ranch that just recently does not allow dogs, probably because of instances like this.

I pulled into the parking lot and let Forest out, within moments the one of the large goat dogs (dogs trained to watch over and protect, ie kill, anything that may threaten the goats) charges Forest, who in turn raises a lip and challenges him. The goat dog doesn't think twice and grabs my dog by the neck. Forest had no chance to fight back, it was all I could do to pry the dog off of him. He had two puncture wounds and a serious bruise. About 24 hours to recover, several weeks for the wounds to heal.

I hope Ninja is doing better, but you might have taken it too far by taking his disc accidents happen!!!

My dog Scruffy plays with me all the time. He is so well mannered that you would not even know that he is there. He is well versed in disc golf etiquette. One day I was making my way thru some dense brush and he was hot on my heals when my foot got tangled on a root. I pulled hard and the root broke free from the ground, and slapped him on the eye lid. He let out one hell of a yelp, and I could tell he was hurt. I sat and rocked him for a few minutes and he seemed to be fine, but he was squinting. When we got home he was still squinting, and I saw that a bruise had formed on his eye lid. The bruise went away after a few days, and so did the squinting. To this day he gives me a little more lead when following me thru brush. I felt so bad for him when it happened. I am like most people who have animals. I would have rather it been me than him.

Sorry to hear your dog got hurt, but that's the kind of thing that happens if you bring a dog to a disc golf park. People will be throwing discs, and there is no skill requirement to play a public park. It was bound to happen eventually.

But I take offense that a guy shanked a drive, said heads up loud enough that you heard it, and you stole his disc?

Dick move.

The dick move is him saying it barely loud enough to hear it on my area of the hole. Not even remotely loud enough for those any farther away, which included the rest of my group. And not wanting to even apologize or learn from his action, but rather to hide and leave. Same goes for the others in his group as well. If he wants to speak rather than hide, he works in the warehouse next to ours.

Last edited:
I'm on Leewayes side; if someone nails my dog, is clearly at fault, and doesnt have the decency to apologize I'd bag the disc too - doesnt sound like they were inclined to go get it anyway.

I've putted my beagle a couple times, so now she keeps her head up around baskets.

You had no right to take his disc dirtbag...

You were on a disc course, anything and everything on a course is likely to get hit at some point.

I have just started taking my black lab Shelby. We rescued her for the Army. She was being trained to be a bomb detection dog but didn't pass the loud noise test and she is skittish. She has only been playing with me for two weeks (since we had about 2ft of snow) and she has done great. She doesn't chase discs and she is always in eye sight. She knows not to be on the tee pad or in front of you while you are putting. It is good to have a dog with you when you can't find anyone else to play with.

That being said I hope she never gets hit. Also, it wasn't a dick move to take the dudes disc. He didn't even come out to apologize even if it is a DG course you gotta say sorry!

Teaching morality by theft. That'll work out well...

precisely what i was thinking. remember dude, you're on a course where there are flying discs. we've all seen someone or been the one who's been hit by an errant drive. it happens, and it sucks that it happened to your dog, but it happens. if you're worried about your dog being hit by a disc, don't bring him to the course

it especially drives me nuts when people bring their dogs to the course without a leash. c'mon man. if your dog isn't on a leash and it gets hit by a disc while its mucking about, it's nobody's fault but your own

The dick move is him saying it barely loud enough to hear it on my area of the hole. Not even remotely loud enough for those any farther away, which included the rest of my group. And not wanting to even apologize or learn from his action, but rather to hide and leave. Same goes for the others in his group as well. If he wants to speak rather than hide, he works in the warehouse next to ours.

you HEARD him say heads up......so whatever you claim about him not saying it loud enough is BS. YOU HEARD IT DIDNT YOU?

I bet you were approaching him in a aggressive way...and thats probably why he didnt want to confront you...that or he already knows your a #*%@ since he works next to you.

good point. he should have yelled it louder. that way, your dog could have heard him yelling "heads" and thought in his dog brain "oh no, there is an errant disc golf drive headed my way, i better take precaution". even if he did yell it loud enough, you couldn't have gotten your dog out of the way because he probably wasn't on a leash.

was he on a leash?