• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Coverage REinvented - FLYBOY video

What large events has this been used to film? I'd like to see a link, think it would be cool to check out.

My guess is the masters last year just because of geographical proximity. Hole flyovers which would be amazing for disc golf too. Think about visualizing for practice watching from home on YouTube!

Last edited:
See you do not even want to discuss, you just want to insult. I have told you this has been used to film large events, which you doubt it has the capabilities to do. We get it you think you are king sh!t when it comes to cameras so you have to prove your "lens" is bigger than everyone elses.

I'm not insulting you, I never said the first thing to you. You picked a bone with me if you'll read the thread back. My "lens" size has nothing to do with this. It's a simple principle - I opine about what I know, and I listen to those more knowledgeable on what I don't. I'm proud that you and New have seen this device...I've seen the Blue Angels multiple times, but that doesn't make me a pilot.

I think it's funny that you're upset and want to play martyr when called out...but you ganged up on me in the first place. I had no beef with you until you started some.

Does this technology have the potential for live broadcasts or the ability to zoom in? Although very cool, the Perkerson video still had a problem following the entire flight of the disc.

And yes, I know it was raw, unedited footage and that a second camera would greatly alleviate this issue.

Does this technology have the potential for live broadcasts or the ability to zoom in? Although very cool, the Perkerson video still had a problem following the entire flight of the disc.

And yes, I know it was raw, unedited footage and that a second camera would greatly alleviate this issue.

I don't really know anything about it, but based on some of the useful stuff in this thread I would assume that the technological issues would be with the 'copter and the life of the batteries and increases in ambient noise.

But I don't know. It bears repeating. I don't know.

I don't really know anything about it, but based on some of the useful stuff in this thread I would assume that the technological issues would be with the 'copter and the life of the batteries and increases in ambient noise.

Relax brother I'm not going to jump down your throat. I just hate it when people get bullied because they're not part of the DGCR groupthink.

Battery life is an issue - I'm not sure about RC copters (I started doing a little research after reading this thread but that's a rabbit-hole of a hobby) but I know that with DSLR's it would be. You would either have to roll the camera before takeoff and fly around hoping it stays recording, or invest in a wireless monitor/controller combo which has a reliability question and would depend on the distance from you to the copter-camera.

The reliability factor is a big question too. I know personally I wouldn't put my $1200 DSLR on a copter rig...I'd mount a GoPro but that's about it, lol. If it were to crash there's a high percent chance your camera is DONEZO.

In order to hedge the bet on reliability you'd have to bring out a seasoned pro RC pilot (operator?), and unless they're REALLY into disc golf you can't count on them doing it for free.

Then if you're paying this guy/gal - you probably want to be able to make on-the-fly adjustments to the footage you're getting so you're not wasting money, so then it becomes an issue of seeing what you're shooting. You either need to land/takeoff with every group that passes through, or you need the aforementioned wireless apparatus which are pricey if they work.

^^ This is basically a flowchart of concerns if you were to take this technology at current stage and try to adapt it to a professional sports endeavor.

IMHO, I think this technique definitely warrants further development, and it's definitely doable on a large budget where you can afford all the toys to properly execute it...but disc golf doesn't have the profitability yet. When disc golf's profitability approaches technology's affordability we can adapt this technique more widely.

I'm not insulting you, I never said the first thing to you. You picked a bone with me if you'll read the thread back. My "lens" size has nothing to do with this. It's a simple principle - I opine about what I know, and I listen to those more knowledgeable on what I don't. I'm proud that you and New have seen this device...I've seen the Blue Angels multiple times, but that doesn't make me a pilot.

I think it's funny that you're upset and want to play martyr when called out...but you ganged up on me in the first place. I had no beef with you until you started some.

You said I was ignorant and I need to go back to prerubing people, how is that not saying the first thing to me? My point was not that this was the greatest technology, just that people are underestimating it. It has been used in large events to prove its self. I also understand not naming these events hurts my creibility, but I am not allowed to talk about specifics. I am sure your knowledge of cinematography dwarfs mine, but I will keep trying to make my point and I will always defend new013 no mater how big of a troll he is.

I am in no way part of the dgcr groupthink, but I do think its not right insulting someone and telling them to go back to what they're good at. this is a forum where all of us can come and give our insight and opinions. and if someones wrong, we troll the hell out of them. and if you are a know it all we troll the hell out of you. so there's no need to coddle anyone. we are all big boys and girls on here, at least a majority of us, so we should be able to take our lashings and move on to the next one.

Last edited:

Wind from the mikrocopter is another potential issue. If you watch carefully, you can also see the mikrocopter blow up some leaves off the ground. Happens at 0:50, 1:25, and then at 2:00 as it's flying back along the creek.

They actually used the mikrocopter to blow leaves off of the teepad they're throwing from at 1:30.

"omg where are we going to find somebody who can fly this copter? oh wait we're an aviation company"

- Flyboy

Wind from the mikrocopter is another potential issue. If you watch carefully, you can also see the mikrocopter blow up some leaves off the ground. Happens at 0:50, 1:25, and then at 2:00 as it's flying back along the creek.

They actually used the mikrocopter to blow leaves off of the teepad they're throwing from at 1:30.

I noticed that a bit. I was thinking that it could potentially have some great shots where the 'copter sits mid fairway off to the side to see the disc approaching and then chasing the disc after it goes past, but the extra squirrely wind would probably be quite the deterrent unless the wind is highly localized around the 'copter with no distal effects.

And JTacoma I was just trying to posit a few ideas from the non-logistics. I think you covered that pretty well earlier. I appreciate the much thorough response (the I don't know stuff was to avoid the others, actually. Shhhhh this is in parenthesis they'll never know.)

Last post on this - I'm trying to end the thread derail.

You said I was ignorant and I need to go back to prerubing people, how is that not saying the first thing to me?

Scroll back a couple more pages. I never spoke to you, I just returned the attitude I was given. Fair enough that last comment was over the line, I apologize. I felt like you were attacking me on principle, not on substance of post.

I also understand not naming these events hurts my credibility, but I am not allowed to talk about specifics.

Totally fair, I understand NDA's, and even more basic not stealing people's thunder when they've let you in their circle. I'll be the last person to flame you over that, so just say so. I'm not a hater, I want the sport to progress even if I'm not the one doing it. I think it takes all of our work and contributions.

I am sure your knowledge of cinematography dwarfs mine, but I will keep trying to make my point and I will always defend new013 no mater how big of a troll he is.

I respect loyalty to your people. I'm loyal to Derek Hastings, Avery Jenkins, and the whole Chains crew - and I got flamed over it in a thread that has nothing to do with it, so I've got no qualm with you there...but you've got to understand (as I do) that if you go in blind on something for your boy regardless of trolldom not everybody just rolls over and takes it.

I'll repeat I didn't get on New's case because he had an opinion, but because he was being a jerk and a terrible ambassador for the sport and the DGCR site to another user for no reason. Please understand me, I'm in no way trying to act like a hotshot. I'm trying to lend what talent I may have, and share what knowledge I've racked 6-figures in student loans over, to make the disc golf community better and promote our sport. I don't pretend that I've made up the information I share - I'm passing on what I've learned from others and from my experiences. I'm a firm believer that you learn more from failures than successes, so take my posting on this topic as an admission of failing, in hopes that if others don't have to waste time making some of the mistakes I have that we can raise the average level of quality of product amongst disc golfers...and if I so happen to make something good then it's a product of my failures and others successes that I've studied.

I'm about the sport over myself, regardless of whatever my reputation is on here.

...and I think the copter camera is awesome. I hope that technology progresses and more stable and more shallow learning curved 'copters are built so that it can be implemented en masse. I think it's only a matter of time, and when it's feasible for me I'll be the first one lined up to get one.

Latest posts