• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf driving range

Would you use a paid driving range?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • Maybe, depends on execution

Votes: 43 32.8%

• Total voters
I just started working at a giant event center that also has a world class golf course.

They have a huge fieldhouse with an indoor driving range and a golf simulator set-up.

The simulator, from what I hear, was upwards of $50,000.

It's also like $50 per hour to use.

Disc golf doesn't have enough rich people to make this kind of thing a reality.

I've thrown enough practice shots to know that if I don't have to pause between a few shots to collect my discs or think about what I've done, then I'm just chucking stuff until I'm too sore to do it any better without any real reflection in between. Of course I'd like someone to get my discs, but I'm just saying that it's not wasted time for me to collect discs after 15 or 20 throws.

What I think would be awesome is a test field/range when picking out new plastic, if there was a way to throw it onto turf or grass that didn't mark it or reduce its value at all. That'd be a way to get people "needing" more discs real quick.

I say no only because I have plenty of open spaces here to throw discs. If I really get concerned with how far I'm throwing I'll pick landmarks and then google earth distance them later.

Being just a recreational player, the driving range does not appeal to me. I rarely do field work to begin with. I have the same issue with field work in disc golf as I did in golf, that being with nothing but open field, every shot that goes far seems like a good shot. Unfortunately, open courses in NC are few and far between. So being able to throw 350-400 (i wish) in an open field does not really help when i have to shape shots through the trees.
I get the mechanics issue and for serious golfers I see the benefit. However, since i have bad knees my form is dictated by how i can get the shot i want without hurting myself. Now and then its fun to just go bomb some discs in a field, but since the number of holes I can play depends on how much knee pain I want to suffer through, I'd rather just chuck circles in the woods.

I might try a "driving range" ONCE, just to see what it is all about....but doubt seriously that
I would use it regularly..

Like many DGers, I despise field work. My casual rounds ARE my practice.

The Hippodrome Complex (pay to play) in North Augusta, SC has a pretty good sized driving range, for trying discs before you buy them. (at least when I was up that way a couple of years ago). The range offers multiple rubber tee pads, the field is marked every 100 feet for determining distance, and you have to retrieve your own plastic. Of course, there are also two really good courses on the property, ( Hogback and Old Glory), which makes it a much better "destination" for "practicing".

IMO if you want a DG driving range to work, it would have to be set up similarly to Hippodrome, with some rounds at a course or two (on the same property) included with your "stack of loaner plastic".

Being just a recreational player, the driving range does not appeal to me. I rarely do field work to begin with. I have the same issue with field work in disc golf as I did in golf, that being with nothing but open field, every shot that goes far seems like a good shot. Unfortunately, open courses in NC are few and far between. So being able to throw 350-400 (i wish) in an open field does not really help when i have to shape shots through the trees.

Who says you can't try to replicate that on the range? It wouldn't be very hard to construct artificial tunnels and other obstacles to practice throwing through/around.

I might try a "driving range" ONCE, just to see what it is all about....but doubt seriously that
I would use it regularly..

If there was one in Madison I think me and couple of my friends would use it regularly in winter. Probably not in Summer, but in winter when there are no courses here (well, there's Yahara this year), I would pay just to have an actual, clean, snow free tee box to throw off for a while. I would do field work in winter, but it's such a pain when everything is snow, ice, and mud.

Last edited:
Nope, Would never pay to practice.

Most of the fun and stress relief for me in going to a field to practice is that I don't have to deal with people, and the walking to get my discs and throwing them back I find pretty dang relaxing.

Who says you can't try to replicate that on the range? It wouldn't be very hard to construct artificial tunnels and other obstacles to practice throwing through/around.

If there was one in Madison I think me and couple of my friends would use it regularly in winter. Probably not in Summer, but in winter when there are no courses here (well, there's Yahara this year), I would pay just to have an actual, clean, snow free tee box to throw off for a while. I would do field work in winter, but it's such a pain when everything is snow, ice, and mud.

While it might not be very difficult to construct obstacles on a range, it takes no effort at all to go to a local course that already has them.

There is a guy in Nebraska developing concrete that conducts electricity so it can melt snow and ice. I am sure its expensive, but Wisconsin sounds like the place to try it out for tee pads.

http://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/de-icing-concrete-could-improve-roadway-safety/

While it might not be very difficult to construct obstacles on a range, it takes no effort at all to go to a local course that already has them.

Unless it's between November and May and you live in Madison. Then it takes a 30-40 min drive. Really the more I think about it, the more I think I would use a disc range a lot in winter.

Unless it's between November and May and you live in Madison. Then it takes a 30-40 min drive. Really the more I think about it, the more I think I would use a disc range a lot in winter.

I don't blame you. My buddy from Essex WI comes down every year at Christmas to play in the 70 degree December weather. I definitely could not go all (Wisconsin) winter without throwing some plastic. Luckily, snow here never last more than a day or two. Then we just pick the good draining courses to avoid mud.

Sonic, if you build this north of Mpls I promise to try it.
South of the river though....no promises.

Hah! To be clear, there is no way I would build this, unless I somehow became independently wealthy and it was attached to my dream 5 star course. And if that were the case I would probably lock the gates Wonka style only to be enjoyed by myself :cool:

All we really need to do is find a way to get top golf locations to offer discs

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Hah! To be clear, there is no way I would build this, unless I somehow became independently wealthy and it was attached to my dream 5 star course. And if that were the case I would probably lock the gates Wonka style only to be enjoyed by myself :cool:

I've always thought that if I ever built a private course... I'd never tell anybody.

How many throws would a champ teebird be worth? I would hope that it would go at least 1000 throws on a flat field without ever hitting a tree. I would guess it would last much longer. Let's say I get each at $7 wholesale (I sure hope I could do better). That means a range stack of 100 costs me $.70 in replacement cost. Every penny over $.70 goes to pay for the other overhead, being mortgage, utility, and payroll. Let's say mortgage and utilities add up to ~$1,500 /month. Payroll is going to run me ~$3,000. Let's add in $500 incidentals to make a nice round $5,000 /mo to work with. Under these worst case scenario figures, I would need 39 stacks sold per day on a 7 days a week model before I start chipping into my capital outlay.
Champion plastic is $8.25 standard wholesale pricing.