• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf, Foot Golf, *stick* golf - How Much Would You Pay?

The biggest incentive for me to visit a P2P course is the probability that I won't have to encounter the riffraff that populate most free courses. Does that make me an elitist? Damn skippy.

The biggest incentive for me to visit a P2P course is the probability that I won't have to encounter the riffraff that populate most free courses. Does that make me an elitist? Damn skippy.

FINALLY, WHAT IS HOLDING DISC GOLF BACK-- Damn elitist disc golfers!!! :|

Wait, me too?! :hfive:

Disc golfers are notoriously cheap. People don't blink when it comes to spending $12-$15 for a 90 minute movie but heaven forbid they pay more than $5 for a 2-3 hour round of disc golf.

"Hypocritically cheap as well. They'll pay absurd amounts of money for OOP or limited run plastic (oftentimes getting ripped off), and then bitch and moan about the cost of a round."

These are two of the most accurate observations ever noted on this site. I know a few dgers who have more than $800 of plastic in one of the quiver of $250 bags they own and continually buy ever new release disc but refuse to pay $20 for a good meal with other dgers when on the road at tournaments because they say it is not worth the money or the fellowship because it has already cost them $15 for gas and $30 for a hotel room to attend a sanctioned tournament out of town that cost $50 to play.

I would pay ~500 to play golf at the right location(s).
I would pay 20 to play foot golf, just to see what it's like.
I would pay 10 for disc golf, and upwards of 50+ if were at a significant golf course.

I would pay up to 250 for a yearly membership on a private disc golf course, given the quality of the course, privacy, and "quality" of the other members.

I would pay 10-20k for a golf membership (lifetime), under the right conditions, and knowing that is where I'd plant my roots.

"Hypocritically cheap as well. They'll pay absurd amounts of money for OOP or limited run plastic (oftentimes getting ripped off), and then bitch and moan about the cost of a round."

These are two of the most accurate observations ever noted on this site. I know a few dgers who have more than $800 of plastic in one of the quiver of $250 bags they own and continually buy ever new release disc but refuse to pay $20 for a good meal with other dgers when on the road at tournaments because they say it is not worth the money or the fellowship because it has already cost them $15 for gas and $30 for a hotel room to attend a sanctioned tournament out of town that cost $50 to play.

Technically that's not being hypocritical, that's just how their priorities are aligned. I don't have a super expensive bag, and don't buy discs very often. And even tho I will often go to a $20-$30 tournament, I'll never pay that kind of money for a meal. That's just because disc golf is one of my priorities, but I'm completely fine with spending $3 for a meal at Subway. And being cheap in some areas is how I'm able to buy discs when I want and attend tournaments.

Wow... Sorry to offend, I just thought it necessary due to describing the three types of golf in the same story.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I'll try not to offend you next time! :thmbup:

Not offended, just a different opinion.

No.

And here's why..It's a matter of context. If I am in a group of disc golfers I refer to disc golf as just golf. My card mates are golfers. From within that context if I want to talk about other forms of golf then I add the qualifier such as "stick golf" or "ball golf" or whatever.

If I am on the links then it is completely the other way 'round. As I am pulling out my 3 wood I refer to it as golf. Of course I don't refer to myself as a golfer in that context...more like "hack."

It's not a matter of context. It's called the Professional Golf Association and the United States Golf Association. Nowhere in there are the words "stick" and/or "ball". I disagree in principle that adding unnecessary modifiers clarifies anything. All justifications (yours as well as others) aside, it's still called Golf. We play a sport called Disc Golf. There is another game (albeit seemingly ludicrous) called Foot Golf. Those are facts.

So true!! A typical day in the life of a DG'er on the way to the course includes, $10ish in gas, $9 six pack of craft beer, $5 pack of smokes, a possible stop to the local "dealer" for a cool $60ish, a $7 stop at subway for a sandwich and chips, a quick $28 stop at the local DG pro-shop to replace the two discs that were lost on the last round, and a DG'er is in for a solid $40 to $100. This is before the on line purchase of the $120 bag, and $300 worth of plastic in the bag. All of the aforementioned businesses making money on your many purchases, but GOD FORBID the actual destination of your trip (the DG course) who has thousands of $$, countless hours of backbreaking work, and the responsibility of the liability, and clean up of your visit make ANY $$. How does this make ANY sense?

It makes about as much sense as whining about prices they pay for those items (that the market dictates) with the excuse that they got into disc golf because it was cheap. (Spoiler: most of us did).

Technically that's not being hypocritical, that's just how their priorities are aligned. I don't have a super expensive bag, and don't buy discs very often. And even tho I will often go to a $20-$30 tournament, I'll never pay that kind of money for a meal. That's just because disc golf is one of my priorities, but I'm completely fine with spending $3 for a meal at Subway. And being cheap in some areas is how I'm able to buy discs when I want and attend tournaments.

Attempting to justify why you're cheap doesn't counter the argument...

More generally, if someone spends more on discs per month than on rounds (or I'll include donations to a free course to keep it operational/maintained), and takes issue with the mere prospect of the spread of pay-to-play courses (broad spectrum refusal to pay = taking issue by the way) then they are absolutely hypocritical.

It's not a matter of context. It's called the Professional Golf Association and the United States Golf Association. Nowhere in there are the words "stick" and/or "ball". I disagree in principle that adding unnecessary modifiers clarifies anything. All justifications (yours as well as others) aside, it's still called Golf. We play a sport called Disc Golf. There is another game (albeit seemingly ludicrous) called Foot Golf. Those are facts.

Don't forget about professional putt putt golf. No joke.

You forgot to mention the PDGA, marking an obvious difference between disc golf and golf.

And no, just because you are with a group of guys, playing disc golf, doesn't make anyone a golfer. Playing the actual game of golf does that.

You know what...If it bothers you that much then I'll stop. My "Give a **** meter" is hovering just above zero on this topic. Just ain't worth the bickering.

There have been a few television commercials on Spokane stations about a local course offering foot golf. So I checked out their web page. Cost is $10 for nine holes, with $4 for an additional nine. They offer discounts for juniors and seniors, season passes, and "frequent golfer" discounts like buy two rounds, get one free. So it's not a cheap sport.

I also checked out a link to Ten Quick Footgolf Rules and was interested to see that the very first rule dealt with attire, and calls for collared shirts, flat cap or driver hat, and knee-high argyle socks!!

So I'd need to upgrade my wardrobe before I could even get started. I guess that I'll stick with Disc Golf.:thmbup:

Attachments

• Foot Golf Rules.JPG
    Foot Golf Rules.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 17
here in thailand it's called football golf and the one "course" that i know of on samui charges around 20usd for 1 round. honestly i wouldn't even pay that if it were 20 for a day pass, i just have no interest in it.

it's around 30usd for a round on a 9 hole ball golf course up in the hills here with some spectacular sea views, and it's between 7-8usd for a full day pass on the disc golf course.

I'd like to keep DG just the way it is. I'll never be world champion and I will never make a living playing this game. I don't care about "growing the sport". I love it as a hobby.

10 bucks for a day pass at a course is about all I'm willing to pay.

Foot golf sounds idiotic. To me.

As a Metropark employee, I get ball golf rounds at 5 bucks, I might start taking advantage of that just because my friends play and the mental game is probably similar.

My most frequently golfed course is Hudson Mills, and I've payed basically 80 bucks a year for unlimited park and DG access for the last couple years since I started. That's the way I like it and I think the courses are damn well maintained for the price.

Yes I'd pay maybe 20 bucks two-three times a year for a day pass at a GREAT DG course, it would have to be an experience.

Just my opinion.

80 bucks for a year, for many parks and 4 (soon to be even more) courses. Not to nit pick, but that does change the value.

Don't forget about professional putt putt golf. No joke.

You forgot to mention the PDGA, marking an obvious difference between disc golf and golf.

And no, just because you are with a group of guys, playing disc golf, doesn't make anyone a golfer. Playing the actual game of golf does that.

True true. I guess I thought that difference was implied, lol.

You know what...If it bothers you that much then I'll stop. My "Give a **** meter" is hovering just above zero on this topic. Just ain't worth the bickering.

I like how a valid point becomes me "bickering" and "bothered". You replied with a contrasting opinion, I replied with a rebuttal. I'm discussing the topic at hand, nothing more.

Around me they put in a disc golf course on a ball golf course. It was 12 dollars last year per person with cart and 5 dollars to walk. Now this year it went up yo 20$ a round. So golf courses are just trying to make money and our market is the wrong one to do so in

There have been a few television commercials on Spokane stations about a local course offering foot golf. So I checked out their web page. Cost is $10 for nine holes, with $4 for an additional nine. They offer discounts for juniors and seniors, season passes, and "frequent golfer" discounts like buy two rounds, get one free. So it's not a cheap sport.

I also checked out a link to Ten Quick Footgolf Rules and was interested to see that the very first rule dealt with attire, and calls for collared shirts, flat cap or driver hat, and knee-high argyle socks!!

So I'd need to upgrade my wardrobe before I could even get started. I guess that I'll stick with Disc Golf.:thmbup:

But that's just for official tournaments right?

Around me they put in a disc golf course on a ball golf course. It was 12 dollars last year per person with cart and 5 dollars to walk. Now this year it went up yo 20$ a round. So golf courses are just trying to make money and our market is the wrong one to do so in

Considering how much money a golfer has to fork out to be on the same course, I consider that quite the discount. The only luxury you don't receive is putting on an actual green. The rest of the course is fair use.

This likely tells me something.

I would expect that perhaps...
The five dollar/12 dollar experiment was allowed to run for a year as a starter.
Good idea to try something, evaluate results, adjust.

Something didn't pencil out. So... Try something else. Increase or decrease? Decrease wouldn't typically make sense if you started with a "friendly low pricing" model. Why go lower? Only serve to cut off your own feet? So, how about increasing and see what retention you get in year two. Or drop it entirely.

Many might go right to dropping the program. It's usually not good practice to be really dramatic in raising (or lowering) use fees for anything in a short period of time, but who knows, maybe it will drift to a mid way position. (or do just fine with the increased fee - or fine enough for their goals)