• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Internship

Rockiesfan4ever

Birdie Member
(Disclaimer: If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it)

So I am graduating in May and need to do an internship over the summer to complete my coursework (to make a long story short). What I was wondering was if anyone on DGCR knew of any possible disc golf related internship type opportunities that were available over the summer. For example, a city's parks and recreation department that does stuff with disc golf or a summer camp that includes disc golf. I am just trying to search as many places as possible. Thanks for any help you provide.

They have interns regularly at the IDGC (PDGA HQ) in Georgia. Contact them to see. Try: office at pdga.com

You can come carry my bag and retrieve errant throws for the summer. :D

i wanna do a dg summer intern ship too. before i go off to the big ol grad school

Relatedly I am potentially considering a disc golf course intern for this summer who would essentialy get to crash on the land in a partially finished cabin for equivalent volunteer help working on the course (we would just agree to a value on the housing and volunteer work). I could potentially find/offer other work opportunities for the intern also depending intreast and abilities. This would not be structured like through an organization but the intern would get to help/lead design aspects and would learn a lot about first hand building of a course. PM me if anyone has intrest and then we could start a conversation.

I messaged you, but another idea is you could probably work at Highbridge Hills too.

^^^ What he said or you could come work on SHU POND??

I think if you could get in at IDGC that would be best. Not only would it give you a change of scenery in comparison to Nebraska but there are 3 championship level courses for you to play in your free time and I know that since it is all at a state park there is a lot of Boy Scout troops that go up there for camping and stuff.

Curious what careers would benefit from a disc golf internship. Parks or outdoor recreation management? Fitness related?

I'm well past the point of picking a career, but curious.

Curious what careers would benefit from a disc golf internship. Parks or outdoor recreation management? Fitness related?

Disc golf is so far off the radar of parks and recreation management that a disc golf-centered internship would end up looking curious.

Outdoor Rec was my major. It was pretty campground centered or passive use (think hiking trails) oriented. Outdoor rec really didn't teach event planning for stuff like league and tournaments; you learn that in park programming which is centered more around suburban park systems.

An internship with the PDGA I think would help if you wanted to work for a non-profit sports organization, which there are thousands of.

I would love to go into recreation management which is why I asked about it

Paid internships are the norm in engineering. The interns at my company get paid really well.

That's not much help to the OP though...

I understand engineering. But for recreation-based, or many liberal arts fields, finding a paid internship is like winning the lottery. It's not terribly realistic.

I understand engineering. But for recreation-based, or many liberal arts fields, finding a paid internship is like winning the lottery. It's not terribly realistic.

Very true. And it's even worse when the focus is on something as narrow as disc golf.

My daughter did an unpaid marketing internship this past summer in Boston - cost about as much as a semester at college.