• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

I think a lot of people are confused as to what the PDGA actually does.

I also think that they don't understand how the PGA/USGA relationship works.

Which seems to be the model that Dodge is working towards.

I think Dodge is working more towards the ADGT model....Bankruptcy. If I were the PDGA I would sue them every time a reference to "PDGA" rules was used by Dodge or any of his employees....

History is just repeating itself. This is a story published on the PDGA Site earlier this year. Disc golf is better for the changes made by the protests in the early 80's. Disc Golf will be better for these protests happening now. I believe the Pro Tour is the future of professional disc golf.

Story by Matt Gregoire #28647, Joe Feidt #362, and Jim Palmeri #23
"Ed was a control freak. He liked being the man in control of the PDGA and resented attempts by players to control the direction of the organization. It's important to remember that, until 1982, he was doing essentially everything by himself. Considering how active he was—running a start-up company, traveling the country promoting a new sport, selling discs and baskets, installing courses—it's amazing he had any time at all to process memberships, write newsletters, and keep the PDGA going.

By 1980, a growing number of players began to challenge Ed's control of the PDGA. In 1981, a group of players started a new organization to be run by the players and invited Ed to be #001 of the new club. Ed declined the invitation, lashed out at the organizers in a flaming letter, and used his clout to extinguish the fledgling organization before it had time to grow. This particular incident alienated many people and his popularity suffered.

The next year, Ed decided to hold the first Disc Golf World Championships in Los Angeles. It was there before the event started at a meeting of his regional reps that Ed decreed players could throw only Wham-O discs (the brand he was selling at the time). This was another unpopular decision, as players had been lobbying Ed to allow other discs such as Jan Sobel's popular Super Puppy but he stood firm on his decision.

It was here at this raucous meeting that the first seeds of the present day PDGA were sown. Ed asked if anyone wanted to put together a pro tour for the next year. Future Disc Golf Hall of Fame (DGHOF) member Ted Smethers #1159, then a little known pro from Little Rock, Arkansas, volunteered.

Coincidentally, 1983 was also the year a new disc company called Champion Discs (now known as Innova) debuted with its new proto Aero, then called the Eagle. The Eagle, designed by another future DGHOF member Dave Dunipace #987, represented a quantum leap in technology and instantly became the hot new driver that everyone was throwing.

Later that year in Hunstville, before the tournament started, Tournament Directors Tom Monroe #33 and Lavone Wolfe #580 didn't ask Ed—they told Ed—that any legal-weight disc, including Eagles and Puppies, could be thrown. This was the first time the players prevailed in a contest of wills with Ed. It was this Huntsville controversy more than anything else that persuaded Ed to decide to slowly relinquish control of the PDGA to the players."

The PDGA's actions have consistently demonstrated that there is no desire to work with the DGPT, which is viewed simply as a series of PDGA events

The PDGA were not the only ones who viewed it this way.

Your not paying attention or didn't watch Smashboxx last night.

Steve has said they would use PDGA rules. He sees the PDGA as more a a keeping of rules and standards and supporting of amateur disc golf. His DGPT and Jussi's DGWT would be umbrella organizations working the the PDGA for touring pros.

This isn't an ADGT type of thing... the PDGA rules/standards will be used.

I don't even know what Smashboxx is. But what I don't understand is with the small number of events that the DGPT has, what purpose or advantage do the touring pros gain from this split? And it is curious timing with the BW suspension being given. It just seems like they are trying to strong arm the PDGA, while conversely still using the PDGA for rules/standards. While I personally don't care either way as I haven't been a member of the PDGA since 2009 or 2010. It will be interesting to see if the PDGA will make an effort to work with them.

Out of everything, I would like to see the Pro Tour and PDGA continue. The World Tour needs to go the way of the ADGT.

I think a lot of people are confused as to what the PDGA actually does.

I also think that they don't understand how the PGA/USGA relationship works.

Which seems to be the model that Dodge is working towards.

So what tour do the PGA players play on in between events? Oh wait, they still play PGA events the whole time, because they have them every week, like the PDGA does.

Unless Dodge is going to greatly increase the number of pr only events, like having them nearly every week during the season, the Pros will still have to play PDGA events - which in turn means that the PDGA cannot become strictly am focused which is basically what the USGA is.

Lol, it's the disc golf civil war.

Governing body that doesn't want to delegate responsibilities, probably b/c of money: PDGA/USA
Organization that wants to secede from the above over no representation (scheduling): DGPT/CSA
Unpopular thing that becomes tipping point and is supported by secessionists despite unpopularity out of principle: Bradley Williams/slavery.
Steve Dodge/Jefferson Davis
Paul McBeth/uh, Robert E. Lee?
1st unsanctioned event = Ft. Sumter.
etc

The strokes shall rise again! No, wait, that would be a bad thing, score-wise.

Lol, it's the disc golf civil war.

Governing body that doesn't want to delegate responsibilities, probably b/c of money: PDGA/USA
Organization that wants to secede from the above over no representation (scheduling): DGPT/CSA
Unpopular thing that becomes tipping point and is supported by secessionists despite unpopularity out of principle: Bradley Williams/slavery.
Steve Dodge/Jefferson Davis
Paul McBeth/uh, Robert E. Lee?
1st unsanctioned event = Ft. Sumter.
etc

The strokes shall rise again! No, wait, that would be a bad thing, score-wise.

I have the perfect event for this situation...........The Battle of Saratoga !!

oh wait, already running that. :doh:

SO WHAT THIS EVENTUALLY WILL COME DOWN TO IS MY MONEY WILL NO LONGER BE GOING TO INFLATE THE PRO PURSE AT EVENTS I PLAY......

....sign me up...
Don't count on that. Your PDGA events will still have pro divisions with local pros playing in them.

For the great majority of us, a divorce between the PDGA and these tours doesn't mean squat.

I for one, can understand Steve's frustration, but I would hope he knew when he started the DGPT that the PDGA has other masters to serve, whose agendas and vision for organized disc golf might be at odds with his own. Perhaps if he has the freedom to schedule where and when he pleases, and not have to deal with elements of the PDGA structure that he feels are holding him back, he can truly see if the DGPT can sink or swim on its own.

So the way I figure, disc golf gets a sustainable pro tour model out of this, or the latest episode of "we told you so" and a return to the drawing board. If Steve wants to take on that challenge, I wish him well.

Latest posts