• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc weights,,fast question. tomahawk

dukdukgolf

Birdie Member
new to disc golf and im picking up a midrange and a decent disc to tomahawk. I noticed that reducing the weight of my drivers has really helped. Should i get a tomahawk disc in a similier weight? does it go the same for midrange buzz?

thanks for help.

for a tomahawk shot, a heavier weight will result in the disc not going as high with the same power throw, but will be less effected by wind. A lower weight disc will go higher, and be more effected by wind.

I personally like heavier weighted mid ranges, as I feel that I can control them better. As for the t-hawk discs, I'd say throw the weight you would normally throw for a driver.

for a tomahawk shot, a heavier weight will result in the disc not going as high with the same power throw, but will be less effected by wind. A lower weight disc will go higher, and be more effected by wind.

so a lower weight disc will go farther if im throwing a tomahawk? like assume i throw a 150g and 180g with same force and assume no wind. your saying the 150 will go farther?

ty for info btw

so a lower weight disc will go farther if im throwing a tomahawk? like assume i throw a 150g and 180g with same force and assume no wind. your saying the 150 will go farther?

ty for info btw

NO, I'm saying a lower weight disc will go HIGHER, not further. When the disc is vertical, there are no lift considerations in the vertical direction, so it is more like a projectile than a flying disc. Further distance may be a consequence of this under the right circumstances.

NO, I'm saying a lower weight disc will go HIGHER, not further. When the disc is vertical, there are no lift considerations in the vertical direction, so it is more like a projectile than a flying disc. Further distance may be a consequence of this under the right circumstances.

ok im really confused,,,lets say i have the arm of hercules and i want to tomahawk really far.. do i use a 150 or 180?

ok im really confused,,,lets say i have the arm of hercules and i want to tomahawk really far.. do i use a 150 or 180?

There isn't a perfect answer to this question because it has much more to do with flight characteristics of the disc than weight, and angle/rotation at which you throw the disc than arm strength and disc speed. I personally would never throw a 150 tomahawk, but I wouldn't throw a 150 for any shot because I just can't get the accuracy with them. Most overstable drivers (usually best for overhand shots) don't come in weights higher than 175 because their diameter is too small to go higher based on pdga regulations.

Quick answer for thumbers, go heavier. Doesn't NEED to be max weight, but I wouldn't normally recommend a 150 class for thumbers (Discraft Flick excluded.)

Grab a 170+ TeeBird or Firebird for thumbers and go to town.

Quick answer for thumbers, go heavier. Doesn't NEED to be max weight, but I wouldn't normally recommend a 150 class for thumbers (Discraft Flick excluded.)

Grab a 170+ TeeBird or Firebird for thumbers and go to town.

maybe this doesn't make a difference, but aren't a thumber and a tomahawk a different shot? Thumber has thumb inside rim with the flight plate away from your body, the tomahawk had your fingers inside rim, with the flight plate towards the body. I'm just thinking that you really can't compare a forehand to a backhand as exactly reversing the same shot in terms of ideal weight and stability of a disc because there are inherent differences in the spin, and release between the two shots. I don't throw many overhand shot, but I'm assuming that there are many other subtle differences between tomahawks and thumbers that make disc selection just as different as it would be for forehand vs backhand.

maybe this doesn't make a difference, but aren't a thumber and a tomahawk a different shot? Thumber has thumb inside rim with the flight plate away from your body, the tomahawk had your fingers inside rim, with the flight plate towards the body. I'm just thinking that you really can't compare a forehand to a backhand as exactly reversing the same shot in terms of ideal weight and stability of a disc because there are inherent differences in the spin, and release between the two shots. I don't throw many overhand shot, but I'm assuming that there are many other subtle differences between tomahawks and thumbers that make disc selection just as different as it would be for forehand vs backhand.

Not exactly. They are pretty much the same shot with opposite flight pattern. Overstable discs are best for both and the weight you will want to keep the same for both. The grip will be different and will be confusing at first as they do feel different but in reality they are mirror images of eachother as far as the flight pattern is concerned.

Forehand and backhand are pretty much mirror images of each other in terms of flight path as well, but that doesn't mean that you should use the same disc will actually mirror itself when thrown one way or the other.

i kind of disagree... kinda

tommys usually get less spin than thumbers
i almost always use understable (monarch) for tommys, and depending on the length i'll use either for thumbers
overstable turns slower, so it goes further, but can be difficult to complete the helix going tommy ( not impossible, just harder)

weight wise?? i dont throw any 150's, they dance in the wind and i play on alot of hills, but i dont know what a 150 would do overhand

Not exactly. They are pretty much the same shot with opposite flight pattern. Overstable discs are best for both and the weight you will want to keep the same for both. The grip will be different and will be confusing at first as they do feel different but in reality they are mirror images of eachother as far as the flight pattern is concerned.
I don't think overstable is always better for overhand shots. For distance, yes. For shorter accurate shots I like to have the disc make its turn more quickly. I use a Star Teebird for 150-250 foot thumbers.

Stay away from that newb disc the Epic.

Pick up and Flick or Flash around 170-175g

Best tommie options in the world IMHO.

I'll second the flick, teebird, and firebird for tomahawks, in that order.

My brother does throw an epic 400+ feet though, I've just never thrown one and don't really wanna deal with inconsistency of plastic.

okay,,,i bought a 170g flick and i love it. Makes such a big difference for tomahawks. Still gotta get used to it but wow what a huge difference in distance.

just started playing this year,,,learning a good tomahawk is top of my list because of the course i play at. Ty everyone,,,very helpful.

Latest posts