• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania Discontinuing Some Discs

Announce end of production, company sells more, later on ,company brings them back due to "demand" = marketing pizazz?

This kind of seems like latitudes business model for their unpopular discs. They oop them and then they do small batches of limited edition oop discs that people then somehow find amazing.

I for one am sad to see the C-P3X go away. Its the best driving putter discmania makes imo.

I've never heard the DDx referred to as glideless. That thing bombs like crazy.

Newer run DD2's are crap. When Jolly Launcher blends became the norm in C-line/Champion plastic DD2's went downhill, no idea why but that's what I found. I learned that the DD2 I LOVED was a First Run, so I got a small stack of them...

...and then the DDx came out and it was just a better disc for me.

First Run DD2's though...great frisbees. The G-line DD2 was actually a hog as well.

G-line/G*Star is great. People sleep on it because they think they need stiff plastic, but they use it to hide clunky wrist action on the release.

I had a G-line PD in the bag for awhile, it was basically the ancestor to the Instinct. Not in design particularly, but in flight.

I like the DDX too. It definitely has less glide than a Tern, but still bombs. The DD2 I don't have as much experience with. I have a blizzard and star DD2. They're really fast and long, but pretty flippy. Hard to control.

The DDX is actually a great option for guys wanting a mildly flippier Destroyer.

I like the DDX too. It definitely has less glide than a Tern, but still bombs. The DD2 I don't have as much experience with. I have a blizzard and star DD2. They're really fast and long, but pretty flippy. Hard to control.

In my experience, consistency is hard to come by for DD2's. At their best, they are like a good Wraith, but at speed 13. At their worst, they're somebody's "default driver", you know that disc that you used to throw off the tee every single time because you used to think, "well it's a tee shot so I'll throw my driver!"...even though you could play the hole more intelligently and score better with a slower disc that you can control? Yeah it's that one.

:p:p

The DDX is actually a great option for guys wanting a mildly flippier Destroyer.

This may be due to elevation differences (I'm basically playing at Sea Level in the Bay Area), but I'd go a step further and say it's a Shryke for people that can generate 400'+ of power.

P3 is the biggest loss here. Such a fire disc. Thing flies like a putter with the distance of a mid.

I know Colten Montgomery is putting with the Guardian Lion from the Active line these days. I gave them a couple tosses, they seem like a more refined version of the P3. I don't know about yours but mine did not break in smoothly at all. Great at the start, squirrely when broken in, so I had to ditch them.

In my experience, consistency is hard to come by for DD2's. At their best, they are like a good Wraith, but at speed 13. At their worst, they're somebody's "default driver", you know that disc that you used to throw off the tee every single time because you used to think, "well it's a tee shot so I'll throw my driver!"...even though you could play the hole more intelligently and score better with a slower disc that you can control? Yeah it's that one.

:p:p

This may be due to elevation differences (I'm basically playing at Sea Level in the Bay Area), but I'd go a step further and say it's a Shryke for people that can generate 400'+ of power.

For me the DDX has as much high speed turn as a Shryke, but with a sharper (dumpier) late fade. The DDX definitely takes power better than a Tern. I can throw Terns further, but less accurately. The extra glide is the reason for that.

The DD2 is too flippy/wild to be a viable driver for me. Fun to throw in the field for huge distance bombs, but that's it.

I'm expecting latitude 64 is providing a cheaper product than Innova has for them. They don't want to fully disconnect, but found a cheaper avenue to manufacture there discs.

The P3 was not one of my favorites. DM (originals, to specify) has a bigger problem in that they have not released anything understable since the TD2 (from 2012, people!). Seems like everything comes in more overstable than planned (FD2, TDx), or require a cannon for an arm.

The P3 was not one of my favorites. DM (originals, to specify) has a bigger problem in that they have not released anything understable since the TD2 (from 2012, people!). Seems like everything comes in more overstable than planned (FD2, TDx), or require a cannon for an arm.

I agree with this. Also, whenever I see a phrase like "it's like the (Innova mold) but with the anhyzer top", then I know that it's going to be less glidey and more stable than the (Innova mold) it allegedly imitates. I am not a fan of the 'anhyzer top', so sorry.

@SD86: ... more OVERstable you mean. ;-)

@Flick Maniac: Why was the P3 not one of your favorites? What putters do you use instead and why do you use them?

I much rather use a mid than a midlike putter. Or, better yet, if I can drive a putter to where I want, thats what I'll go with. I think it was the horribly domey glow P3s that ended my interest in them.

I think putter-wise my path was:

Swan
P1
KCP Aviar
P2
P1x
Wizard

The P3x was a brief love affair for throwing but then I figured out I can both putt and throw Wizards well. And now I have so many amazing shots with them its hard to go back. As my signature shows, also the hyperspeed driver slot is taken up by other than Discmania. A flippy enough DD3 if such exists may challenge that.

I much rather use a mid than a midlike putter. Or, better yet, if I can drive a putter to where I want, thats what I'll go with. I think it was the horribly domey glow P3s that ended my interest in them.

The dome is horrible, I agree. But since I flattened it for my P3s, they make great discs. Flat-top D-Line P3s are the best.

What you dislike with the putter-mid-hybrid is what I like: I can cover everything from putting up to my Teebird with the P3. Such a hybrid is nice if you want to go with few discs (P3, TB, VL).

The other reason I like the D P3 is that it beats in much like a DX Roc or DX Teebird: It flies straight-to-fade, rather quickly loses the fade but keeps the HSS for a very long time, having a straight flight. If you like Rocs and Teebirds, you'll be right at home with a P3.

Dave D. is now holding Innova back IMHO. I swear only he tests new discs with his geezer friends. Remember the last umpteen mega fast discs that were going to be way overstable, turned out to be roller discs?

DD and his old geezer friends throw just as far as at least 80% of the amateur field. The dude can still throw.

The dome is horrible, I agree. But since I flattened it for my P3s, they make great discs. Flat-top D-Line P3s are the best.

I tried the flattening trick only once ever, and the Glow P3 came out flat, even puddletopped a bit, and was more understable than ever, it was like throwing a flippy mid. First and last time. I kinda feel like even if said procedure gave me a magic disc that flew 450ft with zero turn and zero fade, I shouldnt get enamored with it if I ever want to play sanctioned rounds again. Would hate to drop the magic disc then. (if any of you want to come back with a reply "who would ever know" or anything else like that, I WOULD know. I would know I am not playing by the rules. The only person to whom it really matters.)

I see your point. Your experience might have been different if you had happened to have gotten a naturally pretty flattish D-Line P3 that flies stable-straight, but anyways, you have your own mold that work for you. No need for you to like the P3 or wanting to have it continued with hopefully flatter runs, like some others do. ;-)

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Latest posts