• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

Oh, I bought one... and yeah, I noticed the plastic is quite a bit stiffer than the other S-lines I've held.

I think im gonna have to give this disc a try. When is it coming out in c-line?

How do the swirl sline fly? I almost ordered one from discmania store. I think it will overlap my broken in destroyer though, I just want to hop on the hype train

I got two max weight, wing stamp white S lines and they are definitely pretty long. They fly like a Tern for the first 2/3 of the flight and a PD2 for the last bit. They have pretty extreme LSS for how much high speed turn they have

I tossed an s line and a c line Saturday a little, flew just about identical to my stiff pop top glow tern. My forehand was coming out a little wrist rolly but I was getting them out in the 380-390 range, that's with a fairly full turn and late fade. I think they fade harder than a tern, hss seems about the same. I think I can stretch them out a bit further than what I was if the form is clicking that day.

How do the swirl sline fly? I almost ordered one from discmania store. I think it will overlap my broken in destroyer though, I just want to hop on the hype train

I have a broken in destroyer and it flies pretty similar. Good Hyzer flip, disc, with some finish at the end. The big difference is that I don't have to throw the DDx as hard as I do the Destroyer to get that high speed stability. I really like the glide I can get out of it, especially that I'm just now getting used to playing in all these damn NE wooded courses. The DDx glides a lot easier than the Destroyer, which really helps. So unless you're playing courses where you need a lot of accuracy (and thus want to sacrifice some arm speed for a tighter line), its probably not necessary. But for me its been amazing since I didn't previously have a distance driver that I could throw so easy and get a good flight out of.

I got two max weight, wing stamp white S lines and they are definitely pretty long. They fly like a Tern for the first 2/3 of the flight and a PD2 for the last bit. They have pretty extreme LSS for how much high speed turn they have

Agree 100%. It's pretty crazy how much LSS they have, considering how understable they are at speed. Because of this I find the DDX provides a very unique flight. First 2/3 of the flight flies like a stable Tern or seasoned Destroyer, but they hook up real hard when they slow down. Even my Destroyer's that exhibit high speed turn don't fade as much as the DDX.

I carry two lucid trespasses, a D3, and now a 167g s-line ddx which I received in a discmania mystery box. All four of those discs I would say fly pretty similar. If anything I would say the ddx turns just a little bit immediately after release and then holds its line for almost the remainder of its flight. I have only found the low speed dump really only occurs when thrown significantly nose up, otherwise I find it pretty healthy. This disc is way more stable than my old champ tern however I have yet to really beat it in yet. I find the ddx most comparable to a trespass

Good to hear, I like the Trespass a lot, but I find it a little sketchy in winds. On a low throw it works really well for a straight shot with a little/decent fade.
I compared my distance drivers not too long ago. I did find the same thing, My Terns were US, the champ Tern was more HS Stable than Stars, the Trespass was a tick more stable overall but had less of a dramatic flight change, if it was flying understable it held fairly long, hyzer the same, held it. The D3 was along those lines but slower turns, more stable overall than both. The Defy was sweet fast laser with a nice late hookup. Outlaws are generally stable but handle power straight lines, Destroyer was a hint more stable overall than Outlaws, the Stiletto was OS hook hard at end. I was looking for a disc to fit between the flippy terns and the Defy, I think the DDX is it. I love all companies and discs so its fun to try out. Katana was the biggest bomber but the most sketchy to throw as it would either go way under or hyzer big too early.

The DDX really stands out to me because of it's LSS. It has a decent amount of high speed turn, and then when it starts to fade it just falls out of the sky. It's really cool. I don't think I've ever thrown a driver with that ratio of high speed turn to low speed fade. It goes REALLY far.

there is a juicy rumor (I heard straight from a discmania touring pro) that the original DDX was a destroyer-vulcan top and tern bottom....

and that disc (destrulcan top + tern bottom) had an even better/more awesome flight that impressed the bejesus out of everyone who tested it (Jussi and other discmania touring pros), but for some reason innova nixed it (refused to produce that specific configuration) to the chagrin of those that loved it, so they continued tweaking it until what we have now.

I really like this DDX its finally the overstable champ tern so many people have been longing for even in star plastic. But I'm curious to how those destrulcan top + tern bottom flew like.

I'm sure they nixed the destrulcan top because they have already seen all the hate mail for the original Destrulcan and the Teedevil (and to a lesser extent the Archon). For whatever reason, people just seem to bag on them like there is no tomorrow. They needed the DDx to be a big seller and I guarantee that putting a destrulcan top on it would be a recipe for disaster no matter how sweet it actually flew.

I'm sure they nixed the destrulcan top because they have already seen all the hate mail for the original Destrulcan and the Teedevil (and to a lesser extent the Archon). For whatever reason, people just seem to bag on them like there is no tomorrow. They needed the DDx to be a big seller and I guarantee that putting a destrulcan top on it would be a recipe for disaster no matter how sweet it actually flew.

Or so they can give it a ridiculous name and sell it for themselves ;)

dunno about that rumor. but there were 3 prototype runs made, and the third one stuck. one of the other two came out way too sharp (possibly beyond specs too) so they thought no way can we put this out there, it will cut like a knife if it hits someone. Austin Montgomery was talking about this on FB a while back, as well as my friend who is a top dog with Spin18. the two other proto runs are thus not PDGA approved

I don't know if it's me, but that Vulcan top piece just feels weird in the hand. The spot where I'd want to rest my thumb is where the angle is. I think that's why a lot of the Discmania drivers get the love they do, they fly great but are very comfortable in the hand also.

dunno about that rumor. but there were 3 prototype runs made, and the third one stuck. one of the other two came out way too sharp (possibly beyond specs too) so they thought no way can we put this out there, it will cut like a knife if it hits someone. Austin Montgomery was talking about this on FB a while back, as well as my friend who is a top dog with Spin18. the two other proto runs are thus not PDGA approved

IIRC that happened with another disc, maybe the Daedalus. The proto was released, but the edge was too sharp, so they retooled it.

Latest posts