• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you read reviews or just give them thumbs up?

Lol. I knew I shouldn't have included that part. The last thing I want to do is give the impression that I don't appreciate all the great info each and every diamond has added to this site. I know you and silly aren't taking it that way, but just in case anyone did.

It's just that cubic zirconia jealousy, we get it. :p

Asian Jealousy GIF

I don't really see brevity as an asset in reviews. When I need to read through dozens of them for a trip, I want a lot of details and personal observations/ impressions. Reviews are a tool for my traveling....a very important tool. Much like any tool, I don't need to keep it within reach and fondle it all the time.

I tend to only read reviews of courses I have played. I do read some of courses I am about to play if I have time. Most of the time I am going to play it no matter what. But there have been times I found good information in reviews.

I will click like on a review if I either enjoyed reading it or it gave me good information. I also like honestly in reviews.

As far as what I write, that depends on the day I write the review, how tired I am, and what mood I am in. I have been known to finish a review and realize I wrote a book. I "try" to not get into hole by hole description even though I really want to. Instead I try to pick out holes I enjoyed or just a general idea of what the course is like.

My personal favorite courses to review are the ones no one has reviews or the flat out horrible course. I admit I find it fun to trash a course, specially when it deserves it.

I have been contacted more than once from course designers, either telling me they appreciate my honest opinion or asking me how a course could be improved.

To answer the initial question, Bizz, I lightly scan any reviews I read for helpful information. If I find something that tells me something new about the course, and the rating isn't incredulously out of line (*cough* Black Widow *cough*) they get my upvote. If it's a course I'm interested in actually playing (even if it's ten years away) I'll read full reviews and even a @Tyler V essay if it's there (Carrollton Park).

As for my writing, I tend to open Pros with an overview and amenities, followed by course pros, then any unique aspects. Cons vary wildly; anything from "the greens are boring" to "there's a friggin shooting range next door." Overall will start with things that the reader has to decide if they are a pro or con (pay 2 play or difficulty level), plus anything that doesn't fit in a directions or course info page. Then a wrap-up and recommendation on if you all should play it or not.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, when I see a reviewer I like who has reviewed a course recently I haven't played, I give them the thumbs up without reading the review sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes. I always read new reviews of courses I've played however. There are times I write a review and 5 minutes later there are 5+ likes on it and I wonder if people are actually reading it or just seeing a diamond reviewer reviewed something and gave it a thumbs up.
tl;dr lololol

I miss the old homepage. I don't read or see or thumb or write nearly as many reviews as before.
I will admit, it has taken me some time to get use to the new format. It has gotten me more involved on the message board though.

I do like a lot of things better. The new owners have done a good job of listening to us old timers and have made things better once you learn the site.

Latest posts