• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do you stay away from the latest and greatest discs?

Blizzard plastic got mixed reviews. Guys that are hucking tbirds 400+ prob don't care for it. But guys around 300 ft of power will normally see increased distance. I get full flight from blizzard , and always glides all the way out vs falling into a distance robbing hyzer. I know, learn to throw my mids 300 then come back drivers.......but I can't throw anything as far as I do my blizzard wraith.

A dx driver is only good for about a dozen trees. After that, it no longer flies like it was designed to fly. Then you have to go back and buy another ten dollar disc. For the price of two dx discs you can have the same disc, BUT it will last a whole season or longer.

DX drivers are not always the best for long-term use specially high speed ones-- that's true^

I'll have to disagree, I have some older rocs that are beaten to snot, have hit a million trees and fly like the bees knees. But you might have different results than me, as for drivers getting beaten up.. Again the older slower discs can take more of a beating as they have more blunt shapes to them. I've never thrown a champ disc long enough to the point where it beats in to fly the same as it's dx counterpart.

I've never really gotten into premium plastic version of preexisting molds, champ teebird flies nothing like a dx teebird and the same can be said for the camp roc. I can't speak to molds that were designed initially as premium plastic discs.

Last edited:
The teebird is way slower than a high speed driver. You can see it with the naked eye. And I was referring to the discs I throw. A hyzer flip with my katana is going to be farther than a teebird. It's okay to take things literally. :)

Also, I was just given the Heisenberg Crank for Christmas. It's amazingly straight, with a tiny bit of fade. I love it. You guys should adventure out if you don't already and try some new discs that closely resembles your discs you throw already. New discs are good discs also.

Yes, but not really intentionally.

I've never thrown Prodigy, DD, Discmania,Legacy, MVP, Prodiscus, or Westside.
The only Latitude 64 i've thrown is a Vision, and it's not currently in the bag. I have nothing against any of those companies or their discs, I just don't want to spend a lot of money on discs that I may only end up throwing a dozen times, which has happened a lot in the past. I just stick to what I know, but occasionally i'll win some swag or a raffle and try something new.

See, the funny thing is, all the new discs are touted as being like a teebird.

Or like a firebird

Or like a buzz

Or like a destroyer

I've been playing for awhile. I have those disc already.

I have always tried to throw the newest stuff released. Thrown a ton of different discs and learned a lot about them. Now tend to gravitate towards a few different companies but never ignore new molds and always looking for that "one".. its DG!

I hear ya. If it's a company with a plastic I like and it has the chance to fill a gap in my bag, I'll try it with an open mind. No point in missing a chance to find that perfect disc just because it's new. I stubbornly threw just DX for 14 years. In the past almost four years now, I've incorporated star plastic (Teebird and Leopard) and Swedish plastic (Halo, River, Truth and Pain) and I've improved every single phase my game. I guess it's better late than never. The only DX plastic I'm still using is my Aviar putter.

See, the funny thing is, all the new discs are touted as being like a teebird.

Or like a firebird

Or like a buzz

Or like a destroyer

I've been playing for awhile. I have those disc already.

You are absolutely correct! But some people would like a teebird in, say, a different type of plastic, or pearly, and a certain color. That's where the options on discs that fly the same come in so handy. There's a disc for everyone's preferences.

I don't really care if I get more distance from my Hurricanes over my Eagles. I get different lines. I can put it on an anhyzer and have it come back with more speed left. Sharper noses are also good for skip shots.

I will say that if you have infinite height, there's not a great amount of advantage to fast drivers.

If a new disc catches my eye.
I will do a ton of homework, then I see if I know someone who throws it.
I will ask to borrow it for a few holes.

Did you guys think the newer discs delivered? Did you gain distance when you stopped using a valk or teebird as a max d driver and moved onto discs like bosses and katanas?

I think the Tern may.

I usually use a Valk as my "longest" disc, with a few differently beat star versions in the bag at a time.

I had some leftover funny money at a tournament and snagged a Tern. It might be a honeymoon phase, but man, this thing flies well. It really does seem like a longer, faster Valk, for me at least. Time shall tell.

DX drivers are not always the best for long-term use specially high speed ones-- that's true^

True, but as an "old guy" I like the DX plastic on certain molds. It "breaks in" right away, which I like. It then does get flippy much quicker. Rinse and repeat.

I don't buy 'em unless I can try 'em.
The good thing about being a TD is the players pack discs....... I can have the latest disc stamped for a tourney and when they arrive I field test one or two.

I think the Tern may.

I usually use a Valk as my "longest" disc, with a few differently beat star versions in the bag at a time.

I had some leftover funny money at a tournament and snagged a Tern. It might be a honeymoon phase, but man, this thing flies well. It really does seem like a longer, faster Valk, for me at least. Time shall tell.

It made the cut in my bag. Glides forever.

For me, I found alot of discs I liked alot and stuck to just those molds. I have tried one new disc in the last year and it was a 164 star tern xout that I picked up from MSt for 8 bucks new. I actually fell in love with it for long hyzer flips that is soon to replace my dx valk once it beats up too bad to keep throwing it. Once I pull it out, I will just be down a disc in the bag. I have no need to try another disc that I really dont need.

I try too many new molds...but there's so many out there, and I'm SURE one of them is the holy grail and will cut 8-10 shots off my rounds.

With that said, the bag is pretty set...but I did just get a Rival and PD the other day....

Latest posts