• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESPN 3,4 or 1000 coverage

If the ESPN network can cover badminton, ping pong and the national spelling bee; Why can't they cover disc golf?

These three examples take a few cameras in a small space.

Disc golf is boring, it would take too many cameras and where are the spectators? Why would ESPN cover a sport that can't even get their own spectators?

It's all about sponsorship dollars. If there were companies willing to spend $$ on advertising during disc golf tournament coverage, they would find a place to put it. For whatever reason, we don't have that anymore (didn't Wendy's used to sponsor some televised disc golf?).

It's all about sponsorship dollars. If there were companies willing to spend $$ on advertising during disc golf tournament coverage, they would find a place to put it. For whatever reason, we don't have that anymore (didn't Wendy's used to sponsor some televised disc golf?).

No, a local Wendy's in Dayton Ohio sponsored a tournament for a year or two. I think they added $1000 or something like that.

If the ESPN network can cover badminton, ping pong and the national spelling bee; Why can't they cover disc golf?

Be patient, it will happen, there's not one magic answer or key to the door. It's going to take a few things coming together. I personally have no doubt that the day will come. If it will last remains to be seen, but we will get there.

Cost. Cost. And....Cost.

Badminton, ping pong and the spelling bee don't require multiple cameras spread out over a 20-40 acre plot of land. Those events are done in a single room and can be covered with a minimum of 2-3 cameras (or less) and with no need for satellite link-ups or wireless signals to capture the feed from wireless cameras.

That alone is prohibitive before we even factor in the number of viewers and lack of advertisers. Something else to keep in mind is that a lot of those smaller sports that we often see and react in a "why can't disc golf get that kind of coverage" way bought their airtime. They produced the show, chased down the advertisers to cover costs, and then bought time on ESPN or Fox or whatever channel to air the show. Essentially, it's an infomercial for whatever sport...it's not some network taking interest in it.

Disc golf could do that too. Heck, that's practically what the DGP/Beach Sports Network show is. That's not some outside network filming, editing and airing coverage of disc golf. It's disc golfers filming, editing, underwriting, and airing coverage of disc golf.

You're right, but I'm not sure it's in that order. I wonder what costs more, production or airtime?

I have no idea, of course. But I'd think if an advertiser showed up with enough dollars, and a conviction that advertising on a disc golf broadcast would generate enough viewers to make that advertising effective, buying the time slot would be the major hurdle. With the higher production costs just piled on top of that.

This notion pops up in forums about every other month, but one factor that's rarely mentioned is the amount of time a broadcast would require. When people are talking about live broadcasts, they're talking about 3 or 4 hours just to show the final round. In the daytime, unlike a lot of these minor sports that can be done indoors. Otherwise, we're stuck with an edited review show.

Be patient, it will happen, there's not one magic answer or key to the door. It's going to take a few things coming together. I personally have no doubt that the day will come. If it will last remains to be seen, but we will get there.

I have great doubts, especially whether that day will come fast enough for traditional TV to still exist. If it comes when there are 1000 channels purchased a la carte, it won't be much different than where we are now with internet shows.

Meh, the future is online. Network TV is changing.

As cool as ESPN would be, online and on-demand will eventually be the preferred way to watch tv. DGers are getting better and better at filming with what they have to work with. SpinTv is pretty good with the major events as well as Disc Golf Live and etc. ESPN coverage might actually take the sport in the wrong direction without DGers at the helm.

I have great doubts, especially whether that day will come fast enough for traditional TV to still exist. If it comes when there are 1000 channels purchased a la carte, it won't be much different than where we are now with internet shows.

I don't think that live sports is going to move from the broadcast model nearly as quickly as TV series will, but that's just my opinion. Live events still get big ratings.

As cool as ESPN would be, online and on-demand will eventually be the preferred way to watch tv. DGers are getting better and better at filming with what they have to work with. SpinTv is pretty good with the major events as well as Disc Golf Live and etc. ESPN coverage might actually take the sport in the wrong direction without DGers at the helm.

Well the two aren't mutually exclusive either. However I think that the people who specialize in Golf broadcasts would have plenty of knowledge and skill to do a DG broadcast. Especially given that I think disc golf courses played on existing golf courses (or at least the land that used to be a golf course) is the future for Major and NT level play.

Especially given that I think disc golf courses played on existing golf courses (or at least the land that used to be a golf course) is the future for Major and NT level play.

I'm wondering what things have influenced you in order to have this opinion. Is it because of the Aussie Major, Japan Open or other events that you've been at? I can see extinct golf courses being used to create great disc golf complexes, given that they have a lot more available land to use for holes, but this would be a hybrid of both elements. Playing from the woods to what used to be a fairway before heading back into the woods, or using the spaces between fairways to create challenging and technical shorter holes. Plus if it is no longer used as a ball golf course, you can take the opportunity to create disc golf specific features and obstacles. Again, just curious as to how that idea came about.

As much as I love to play, I don't really care to watch disc golf. I imagine I'm not alone. Even if ESPN should decide to carry a tournament, it's hard to say how many of us familiar with the sport would actually watch let alone those who have no idea what it is.

I don't think that live sports is going to move from the broadcast model nearly as quickly as TV series will, but that's just my opinion. Live events still get big ratings.

Even ESPN is available on a non-broadcast basis (ESPN3, right?). Log in and choose from a wide selection of games, to suit yourself.

At the moment, you still have to be paying for ESPN broadcast (or know someone who is, and use their code). How much longer until you can simply subscribe to ESPN's non-broadcast internet-based channels?

Even ESPN is available on a non-broadcast basis (ESPN3, right?). Log in and choose from a wide selection of games, to suit yourself.

At the moment, you still have to be paying for ESPN broadcast (or know someone who is, and use their code). How much longer until you can simply subscribe to ESPN's non-broadcast internet-based channels?

To pile on here...MLB.tv, NHL Gamecenter Live, NBA League Pass, NFL Game Rewind. All the major professional sports have streaming services for their games right now. (NFL only offers live streaming through DirecTV, but the infrastructure's obviously there to do it themselves)

And on top of that, the blackout rules for home regions are slowly but surely getting broken down as well. At some point, those streaming packages will be available for folks to watch their home team as well as any other team in the league.

It's only a matter of time until conventional TV broadcasts will be secondary to the online streaming options for live events.

I've got a better question. Why do some people have to ask this question on here (repeatedly I might add) in this inferiority complex tone like getting on ESPN is the only sort of validation that will make them happy? Why can't we just enjoy disc golf for the participation activity that it is?

I've got a better question. Why do some people have to ask this question on here (repeatedly I might add) in this inferiority complex tone like getting on ESPN is the only sort of validation that will make them happy? Why can't we just enjoy disc golf for the participation activity that it is?

I agree, like this whole sport is going to continue to suck until we get on ESPN or something. I've never been able to understand that point of view. :confused: