• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FD/Fairway Disc/Dark Rebel/Hawkeye

Still loving the FD, still use it to emulate a beat up DX teebird.

The other day someone asked me what I threw, to which I replied "FD!" Old or new they asked - "OLD!!"

I haven't picked up a Dark Rebel or the like but it's good to know there are more runs out there in case my stack of FDs runs thin.

Entropy is a putter and Hawkeye is a fairway and the Hawkeye was first released 2022, so there are no 21 halos :confused:

i messed that all up. i meant neutron inertia and the first run of halo hawkeyes that didnt have the understamp. i might have had a few before writing this:doh:

Pulled the trigger on a star Hawkeye. Came in today, penned 163. Pretty domey with the blizzardyish looking rim. Kinda slick feeling tbh, not like Z plastic by any means, but not the grippiest. Can't wait to toss it around. Unfortunately it looks like Siberia outside currently :\

Pulled the trigger on a star Hawkeye. Came in today, penned 163.

Hope you like it. That was the pink disc I threw on most holes at Braem.

Not that my throws in the slush were much of an advertisement . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Based on the pdga specs I was willing to believe it's the same mold. Now you have the man himself speaking out and saying it's a different disc.

We now need a solid reason that dunipace would lie about that when the demand for a halo FD would be plenty to sell them out.

The one thing I can think of is the manufacturer name change. Why did they switch the dm originals to have the manufacturer listed as "innova pro shop" ?

There could be a legal/pdga approval reason they had to create a separate manufacturer for those discs. And if they wanted to release/approve the FD under "innova champion discs" they had to claim it was a different mold altogether.

But I wouldn't put it on DaveD to make an open faced lie. I work hard to maintain my naiveté

My theory. Hailey king wasn't supposed to say it was a halo FD, but she did. Oops. Innova marketing strategy was to say it's a different mold, which is what Dunipace is now saying. It's not really a big deal either way, whether he lied or not.
30s into this latest video Dave D. is now calling it the old FD :D

Pulled the trigger on a star Hawkeye. Came in today, penned 163. Pretty domey with the blizzardyish looking rim. Kinda slick feeling tbh, not like Z plastic by any means, but not the grippiest. Can't wait to toss it around. Unfortunately it looks like Siberia outside currently :\

I did the same, 163 as well - threw it yesterday in very windy conditions. It didn't do great in the headwind, as expected, and I stink at throwing with a tailwind. Will give it a try in more normal conditions.

Agree with your comments on grip. Having thrown a good number of FDs, it didn't feel quite the same in the hand. May have been the cold.

Got some field work in today with a first run halo against a 2nd run FD which is admittedly beat to hell. BH, they flew similar with the 2nd run having a little more finish at the end. FH, the 2nd run was much more torque resistant. The halo hawkeye is a nice run of FD that I would put on the beefier side of FDs but not at a 2nd runs level.

halo first run was perfectly straight, after that, the HK bottom stamp and the other 22 i have were that slicky kinda plastic and not the matte finish of the first run. much more OS and not dead straight. Not crazy OS but very noticeable among runs

i recently bought and threw the dark rebel in champ plastic (dong rebel stamp) and its very similar/analogous to a 5th run C-Line FD.

A little dome-ier, glide-er, and less stable version of old school champ plastic FD. But its still an awesome FD for those that like FD.

I bagged 6th runs (a little flatter, faster, and a touch more OS at the end than 5th runs) and 6th runs and lost my 2nd to last original innova-discmania made 5th run and finally had to try a replacement and was relieved to see that the dark rebel (dong stamp) is a good-ole innova made Discmania replacement.

now i'm going to try some hawkeye F2's to see if its a good FD replacement but even cheaper.

i recently bought and threw the dark rebel in champ plastic (dong rebel stamp) and its very similar/analogous to a 5th run C-Line FD.

A little dome-ier, glide-er, and less stable version of old school champ plastic FD. But its still an awesome FD for those that like FD.

I bagged 6th runs (a little flatter, faster, and a touch more OS at the end than 5th runs) and 6th runs and lost my 2nd to last original innova-discmania made 5th run and finally had to try a replacement and was relieved to see that the dark rebel (dong stamp) is a good-ole innova made Discmania replacement.

now i'm going to try some hawkeye F2's to see if its a good FD replacement but even cheaper.
I haven't thrown the Champ Hawkeye, but the Halo I did throw was very similar in flight to the DM molded C/S-FDs. I've also thrown a Star Dark Rebel and that was much more what I remembered an S-FD flying like versus the Star Hawkeye.

Will the real Innova Fairway Disc please stand up?

I've been enjoying my Hawkeyes recently and decided to go down the rabbit hole on the Hawkeye vs Dark Rebel vs OG FD debate to see just what the difference is, if any. I've haven't been able to find a consensus (most of the speculation is circa 2022) but did see many comments about how the Hawkeye tooling- with Rancho Cucamonga and what appears to be an erased Patent #- was different from the Dark Rebel and similar to the OG FD.

I was looking at my Hawkeyes- one stock Star and one Philo MF Color Glow- and while the Star has the Rancho tooling, the Philo has the newer "Made in the USA" tooling with the Innova website.

Was the mold/tooling changed at some point for the Hawkeye? Is this unique to the Philo MF CG run? Is the Hawkeye really a Dark Rebel which is really an FD? I'm not sure any of this matters but I'd like to one day get backups, and there's an appeal to getting the "real" FD replacement.

My understanding for the Innova Factory Store PDGA approved discs (Power Disc(2)/Mid Disc/Fairway Disc) were intended for Proshop exclusive runs to test popularity/consumer demand for a potential Innova stock disc run. So these F2s were probably from the Fairway Disc 'Dark Rebel' runs if you liked those.

The Hawkeye is the first mold Innova 'promoted' to a stock run from these Factory Store approved molds. I think this was pushed a bit by Hailey King signing and wanting to have the FD as a tour series mold.

Differences in tooling may be Innova replacing mold pieces to allow new manufacturing processes (Halo?) or parts at the end of their lifecycle. They still might use the older tooled piece for different plastic runs (shared piece with other 7 speed molds). I expect Innova wants to reproduce the old mold dimensions exactly but that may be challenging when the old mold is 'worn in'.

I compared a stock Champion Hawkeye against a C-line FD and the profile/tooling is identical to my eye.

My understanding for the Innova Factory Store PDGA approved discs (Power Disc(2)/Mid Disc/Fairway Disc) were intended for Proshop exclusive runs to test popularity/consumer demand for a potential Innova stock disc run. So these F2s were probably from the Fairway Disc 'Dark Rebel' runs if you liked those.

The Hawkeye is the first mold Innova 'promoted' to a stock run from these Factory Store approved molds. I think this was pushed a bit by Hailey King signing and wanting to have the FD as a tour series mold.

Differences in tooling may be Innova replacing mold pieces to allow new manufacturing processes (Halo?) or parts at the end of their lifecycle. They still might use the older tooled piece for different plastic runs (shared piece with other 7 speed molds). I expect Innova wants to reproduce the old mold dimensions exactly but that may be challenging when the old mold is 'worn in'.

I compared a stock Champion Hawkeye against a C-line FD and the profile/tooling is identical to my eye.
To the bold, there would have been technical drawings created for the molds themselves. Should be no need to measure the molds in their current state when retooling. Whether Innova got those drawings from whoever made the tool and retained them is anyone's guess.

To the bold, there would have been technical drawings created for the molds themselves. Should be no need to measure the molds in their current state when retooling. Whether Innova got those drawings from whoever made the tool and retained them is anyone's guess.
Yep, and reproduced pieces may be slightly different just with the manufacturer tolerances enough to change how the disc molds up.

Also could have modifications to the cooling channels or how the piece attaches to a newer injection molding machine.

Latest posts