• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feldberg on McFlysoHigh

Being extremely fast is not as important as the quality of your work
I'm going to have to slightly disagree with this.

Turnaround time is absolutely paramount with where disc golf coverage is at.

Remember all of CCDG's multi-camera coverage of Worlds?? Do you care about watching it 2 months after the event has taken place and all the discussion around here has dropped to nil?

Should Marty edit the cursing? Yes.

However, professionals should also act like professionals. If you call out Marty, you need to call out Nikko and yourself as well for not acting "up to par" and that includes posting on Whinebook.

Yep, it is like coming to work naked, then getting mad when someone takes a picture and posts it to facebook. Ya, that was not nice, but you have no clothes to stand in...

Whiners gon' whine. I support you Marty, keep doing what you're doing!

Should Marty edit the cursing? Yes.

However, professionals should also act like professionals. If you call out Marty, you need to call out Nikko and yourself as well for not acting "up to par" and that includes posting on Whinebook.

x1,000

At the same time, a player venting at an emotional moment can be kept "offscreen", and there are other moments that do not need to be publicly exposed either.

The only way McFly should be directed in what to include is if he is being paid by the PDGA. Otherwise, they should either say "Thank You for the amazing FREE coverage you are providing for our sport, or ban him from filming events. Which is more beneficial to the sport?

And he can thank the PDGA for letting him have that access as well. Without the tournaments, he wouldn't have this exposure either. It's a two way street. Instead of seeing who is "more valid", they need to work together. That's all I'm saying.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with this.

Turnaround time is absolutely paramount with where disc golf coverage is at.

Remember all of CCDG's multi-camera coverage of Worlds?? Do you care about watching it 2 months after the event has taken place and all the discussion around here has dropped to nil?

2 months is a little extreme, but saying it's BS that you can't wait 1-3 days reminds me of Louis C.K., and how much the world of DG media "owes you" for fast turnaround times.

x1,000

At the same time, a player venting at an emotional moment can be kept "offscreen", and there are other moments that do not need to be publicly exposed either.

But Nikko's tirade was public. What would be the difference of seeing it on video or if I was say in the gallery that day?

And like many of you are saying..."Marty isn't being paid". Yeah yeah, he spends hundreds to thousands of dollars on equipment, plus travelling time, plus life stresses, plus all your demands, and if you really feel this way...then the audience should pay the man.

Companies are starting to pay their dedicated media guys, and giving them perks. It's about time, but up until recent months, this wasn't possible. All it takes is a little momentum, and we can all grow together.

Pay media guys what they are worth, give them incentives to come, and you'll see production value explode.

Guidelines for video etiquette? We all realize that these are FREE videos, right? In this day and age anyone, not just McFly, can choose what to film and decide how to get it out there to the masses. Now if it were the PDGA producing these videos and expecting profit based on their brand, that would be one thing, but for now these videos exist in the same world where you can accidentally type one letter incorrectly into your browser and be exposed to much worse than someone cussing during a competition.

As suggested, if the behavior is that appalling to the game then it needs to be controlled at an individual level. Penalties, fines, etc. to the players. Otherwise, the last time I checked, it's your First Amendment right to tape (and show) disc golfers cussing. Deal with it.

EDIT: And I do get that McFly has sponsors backing him, but I'm talking about the world beyond what McFly is producing. Anyone can put the same tournament out on video, polished product or not. It all exposes the same thing in the end.

Last edited:
But Nikko's tirade was public. What would be the difference of seeing it on video or if I was say in the gallery that day?

All it takes is for the right person, with little kids in tow, to be strong enough to approach Nikko. People act the way they do people other people let them.

Either that, or the PDGA to do something.

Having emotions is fine, boiling over can be OK, going in a tirade, and full of expletives, doesn't need to happen. Neither does it have to be distributed on video.

Look for strciter guidelines to come from the PDGA concerning video etiquette.

I'm not against Marty, but you most certainly CAN edit out every curse word, and you don't even have to bleep it. Being extremely fast is not as important as the quality of your work, feeding the addictions of the masses is exactly how we got ourselves into other problems (such as "why should I sign up for this tournament if the players pack sucks?").

It's the responsibility of the players to be professional, it's the responsibility of the media to produce something that the PDGA can slap their approval on. And yes, it's a PDGA event, so ultimately they can be "liable" for what comes from Marty as well.

Every media guy can have their own take, their own angle, and do a darn fine job. And this can be done without certain aspects of the game shown (like players bending over, grabbing their crotch, farting, cursing, what have you). If you really wanted to portray guys "as they are", you could have a field day with some footage if you are there all round.

So the PDGA is going to start policing peoples videos? So if I record a round with a camera or the final 9 of a disc golf event with my cell phone and pop it up on Youtube, they are going to "get" me? How stupid. Police your MEMBERS. If a player is CAUGHT swearing on a video, THEY should be punished before the videographer is. Also, the live broadcasts are full of swearing...they going to make them have a 40 second delay like TV so they can beep from the online broadcasts. Feldberg is a jerk. Im glad I'm 90% innova yet I've never purchased a Feldberg Boss or anything with Avery's name on it for that matter.

Guidelines for video etiquette? We all realize that these are FREE videos, right? In this day and age anyone, not just McFly, can choose what to film and decide how to get it out there to the masses. Now if it were the PDGA producing these videos and expecting profit based on their brand, that would be one thing, but for now these videos exist in the same world where you can accidentally type one letter incorrectly into your browser and be exposed to much worse than someone cussing during a competition.

As suggested, if the behavior is that appalling to the game then it needs to be controlled at an individual level. Penalties, fines, etc. to the players. Otherwise, the last time I checked, it's your First Amendment right to tape (and show) disc golfers cussing. Deal with it.

The PDGA could most certainly ban certain media types from PDGA sanctioned events.

Deal with it.

So the PDGA is going to start policing peoples videos? So if I record a round with a camera or the final 9 of a disc golf event with my cell phone and pop it up on Youtube, they are going to "get" me? How stupid. Police your MEMBERS. If a player is CAUGHT swearing on a video, THEY should be punished before the videographer is. Also, the live broadcasts are full of swearing...they going to make them have a 40 second delay like TV so they can beep from the online broadcasts. Feldberg is a jerk. Im glad I'm 90% innova yet I've never purchased a Feldberg Boss or anything with Avery's name on it for that matter.

As I've stated before, personal media is different than someone who is considered DG media, or in Marty's case with the USDGC....an approved media source.

All it takes is for the right person, with little kids in tow, to be strong enough to approach Nikko. People act the way they do people other people let them.

Either that, or the PDGA to do something.

Having emotions is fine, boiling over can be OK, going in a tirade, and full of expletives, doesn't need to happen. Neither does it have to be distributed on video.

So I should bring my nephew to a PGA event "approach" Tiger and tell him to stop swearing. You can't approach a competitor during a round, that would not be a good idea. Nikko knows he is a hot head and has been in trouble for it, your kid isnt going to prevent that burst of emotion 2 weeks from now.

The idea that Marty is doing a disservice to the PDGA is outrageous, due to Feldbergs rant I'm never going to buy any Trilogy product again. They're banned until he's banned.

2 months is a little extreme, but saying it's BS that you can't wait 1-3 days reminds me of Louis C.K., and how much the world of DG media "owes you" for fast turnaround times.
Sure it is a bit extreme. But its also a reality for that specific footage.

1-3 days is pretty huge when an event is happening live, with live scoring/tweeting and there isn't a DGPlanet doing a live broadcast.

I realize I'm in the very tiny minority with my opinion, and that's fine. My basis thesis is this, there's a responsibility on the media's part to edit things a certain way (whether you believe it or not). I wouldn't want to "broadcast" anything that I would deem not family friendly. Or, in other words, something that could damage the image of DG to the masses.

Yes, there is another "market" for the flip side of the coin, but for guys who video with the joint affiliation of the PDGA, I personally think it's a mistake.

Again, just my .02, and no argument on here will change that. All the best :)

The PDGA could most certainly ban certain media types from PDGA sanctioned events.

Deal with it.

They "can"ish. If it is being performed on a public park and no mention of the PDGA is there, I don't think that is a copyright issue.

For example, I can video Cam Newton swearing on his way to the locker room and post it. The NFL doesnt own the right to all the players actions. I can record from my seat with my phone unless I have previously agreed (through purchasing the ticket) not to. They can absolutly remove my video if I filmed or recorded a live broadcast and re-posted it...

What is protected is the producers property. The game isnt the property it is the broadcast. You can't replay the broadcast and hurt the money making ability. For example Marty couldnt include a video from the PDGA website with out their approval... but he can absolutly record a DG event that anyone else is allowed to record. If he is in the way of the action, they can kick him out.

I highly doubt the PDGA would have a legal leg to stand on to have Marty's videos edited unless he was including copyrighted material...which he is not. Additionally, the PDGA isnt funded or staffed in a way to police personal videos of disc golf events online.

I wonder how many kids have been not allowed to try disc golf due to a swear word being muttered on a YouTube video. I'll set the over/under at zero.

They "can"ish. If it is being performed on a public park and no mention of the PDGA is there, I don't think that is a copyright issue.

For example, I can video Cam Newton swearing on his way to the locker room and post it. The NFL doesnt own the right to all the players actions. I can record from my seat with my phone unless I have previously agreed (through purchasing the ticket) not to. They can absolutly remove my video if I filmed or recorded a live broadcast and re-posted it...

What is protected is the producers property. The game isnt the property it is the broadcast. You can't replay the broadcast and hurt the money making ability. For example Marty couldnt include a video from the PDGA website with out their approval... but he can absolutly record a DG event that anyone else is allowed to record. If he is in the way of the action, they can kick him out.

I highly doubt the PDGA would have a legal leg to stand on to have Marty's videos edited unless he was including copyrighted material...which he is not. Additionally, the PDGA isnt funded or staffed in a way to police personal videos of disc golf events online.

True, and agreed. The only caveat being if anyone signed a media waiver of sorts.

Most smaller stuff wouldn't generate this level of attention, but I can def see A/B/NT/Majors heading this way very shortly.

I am going to stop watching mob movies and TV shows. I think the use of swearing is hurting the image of the mob. How silly. All Marty needs to do is put a small disclaimer at the bottom that says that the video might contain adult language....then you parent if you dont want to see or have your children see it...additionally, if someone is so concerned what their children see or hear, they should preview it first.

The whole, swearing is bad for the image is a poor arguement. Most people (even those offended by the language) use some form of poor or colorful language...offensive. "Freaking" is offensive... you are thinking the offensive curse word. Shoot! Oh my gosh! Its the same reaction to an action as if you said the word or just made up words. Yet we have given words the power...when it is the ACTION that is the problem. An overly emotional outburst, regardless of the word, is the offensive act. If Nikko screams RABBIT!!! after every missed putt, that's less offensive because it is spelled differently. Thats laughable. Stop being fake offended. Sports, the PDGA, life is full of all sorts of people yet we act like our uncle doesnt go on curse tirades after a 12 pk of Pabst. Ever tell him you are offended...lol. Silly.

Latest posts