• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Firebird Disc weight ?

punch

Bogey Member
I normally throw drivers in the range of 167g to 170g. I am going to pick up a firebird for overhand shots/utility. I am looking for weight recommendation. Thanks

I throw 150g Flicks because they don't hurt my shoulder/elbow as much. Improved technique would also solve that problem for me, but I'm a cheater.

I carry a max weight 11x firebird and a low 160's 12x. I think that's a great combo.

Covers a lot of shots.

I normally throw drivers in the range of 167g to 170g. I am going to pick up a firebird for overhand shots/utility. I am looking for weight recommendation. Thanks

That's a great weight range for OH throws.
Max weight can wear on your shoulder.

I throw overhand & utility shots with a 175 FAF 12x Champion Firebird. It is great in the wind & I can always trust it in any conditions. I also carry other discs for overhand shots that are lighter so I can get a faster flip with easier distance. I just added a 172 12x Champ Firebird (Slight Dome) to my bag that I get distance more distance overhand, backhand & sidearm. It also gives me a differn't flight overhand so it really depends on what lines your trying to hit overhand, what other disc you pair with it overhand & how far you can throw overhand. Overall as a general suggestion I'd recommend a Firebird between 168-172. It will still be really overstable & a great utility disc but won't be as hard on your arm when throwing overhand.

171-172. I'd say dome and stiffness are more important when purchasing a Firebird. Flat and stiff newer ones are almost unthrowable they are so overstable. They are more of a utility disc. Firebird with dome go further with a more controllable fade. I threw a 172 pre-number Star Firebird and it flew like a C-Line PD. It was controllable and reliable. It's one of those discs that is tough to purchase on the internet.

i carry two FLAT firebirds, one 152g and the other 157g. the 152g is a thing of beauty and has gotten me out of a lot of trouble.

Id go with 165grams!
With the new 12x firebirds, you definitely wont lose any stability with the loss of 10 grams.

I throw a lot of thumbers with a 158g Champ Firebird. it is a lot easier on my arm than a max weight disc, and it is still plenty overstable. 150 class Champ Firebirds are awesome.

Question, does one normally have to break in one of those flat Firebirds for effective overhand shots? I recently bought a 160g one to replace my domey 171 g Banshee which I was hitting nice thumbers and tomahawks with but the weight was wearing on my shoulder, plus I don't have that much snap so I hoped the lighter weight would get me a bit more distance on forehand and spikes as well (did throw these well). When I tried out the FB the other day every shot was a dud, couldn't control the thing, it was windy out, are overhands more susceptible to wind manipulation especially at that weight?

Yes thumbers and Tommie's are very affected by wind because so much gets exposed especially in crosswinds and lighter weights are always more affected by wind.

I throw firebirds as well as several other discs for thummer throws and have not found lighter discs to be more gentle on my arm or longer. I do however find a heavier disc more accurate on thummers. For me the key to avoiding shoulder pain has been remembering to follow through after release. And I prefer my firebirds as flat as possible, as much so for the grip on a thummer as their tendency to be more os.

I used to use a 171 champ firebird for my overhand shots, then I lost it and had to use my 175 champ firebird and get used to it. All I have to say is I really like the heavier disc and I could definitely throw it further without any pain.

Butttt then I found that a star monster handled better in wind and went just as far. To each their own, but thumbers are a big part of my game on particular courses and I prefer the 175s.

I use 168's in the DX plastic... I'm able to get the grip and distance I want out of those for RHBH and thumbers and since the DX plastic breaks in quickly I get a lot of different lines between 2-3 discs based on the beating they've taken.

I carry two Star FB's, one 175 and one 167. I mainly use them for FH approaches where I need a skip. Heavier for a smaller skip.

I have personally never found lighter discs to be any easier on my arm for thumbers, and a difference of 25g is just not that much in the scheme of things. I'm fairly sure that if throwing thumbers/tommys hurts your shoulder you probably are not properly conditioned to throw them (I'm certainly not). Overhead shots are the main shots that you should physically train for if you plan on throwing them more than 150-200ft. You'll notice that the people who can crush overhead shots are baseball players and quarterbacks, and they have been conditioning for years for exactly that shot.