• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First ace?

So close to my first one last night in a tourney. 225', right off the chains.

I got my first ace at Buffumville Lake in Mass on Hole 18 (near position @ 290'?) 10 months after I started playing (Started 6/2006). Then I got one at 17 White to White at Borderland in Mass (265') 4 months later followed by #9 at Sabbatus' Owl course in Maine. That's practically a tiki course and was certainly less than 200' but it still went in. Nothing since then and I'm ok with it.

Little said bugs me more in this game than when people say they haven't got "their" ace yet as though its owed to them. Easy for me to say after getting a string of them early on but if you feel like aces are the most fun thing you can attain in disc golf then you're going to get bored quick.

No aces yet but my longest deuce was 8 inches... Oh not that kind of deuce. Real deuce was around 215ft on Hole 6 at Johnny Roberts in Arvada, CO.

#1 was at hole 10 at Evergreen (Santa Barbara) on 5 July 2003. Threw my CE Leopard on a hyzer line and as it went along, I waited for the time when I'd say to myself, "Nah, too short" or "Nah, too far" but I never said it and the next thing I knew, it spanked chains! What a rush!

An ace line on 10 can be a scary thing. That's a sketchy backdrop.

When and what course did you have your first disc golf ace?
How long from the time you first started playing the game till your first ace?
How many since then?
By the way,still waiting on mine!!

1st ace was at Emerald Park, Mesa AZ hole #3 257' uphill (Dec. 13, 2005) with LHBH
It took me 19 years*
1 more since, Twila Reid Park, Anaheim CA Gorilla Course #10 170' (about 1.5 months ago) with RHBH

I have been clanking basket and top of the hole for a month on a lot of holes. I feel I am due soon for another!!!! :cool: Righty and Lefty

* Funny story about this is that the morning of the day I got the ace, I called my Uncle Pete to ask him, "If you play golf your whole life, do you think you should be able to get a hole in 1 sooner or later?" I was all around the basket for 3 months and never hit it so I was getting discouraged. He tells me, "I beleive more people DON'T get aces than those that do, regardless of time played." So, releived, I decide that maybe I won't get 1. Sure enough, that same day, I get it

It's weird I've been playing since 01' yet I've not hit an Ace yet. And to make things even worse I have many, many near Aces. There is this one hole I almost Ace like half the time and yet no go yet.

For you guys that have the aces, did you think you were going to ace the hole, or did it just happen? I find myself wanting an ace so bad, that when I step up to a short hole, I think about aceing it, and then I usually end up blowing my shot.

Kind of strange. Yesterday, I was playing the same course which I hit my lone ace at, and almost hit the same basket again. I'd estimate I was long by about 2 feet. Only difference was that the basket was in the long placement this time.

Not all that exceptional, except that the course in question is three hours away in another state, and I maybe see it once per year.

Most of the time when I have hit mine, it just happens. Usually if I am trying to hit one, the shot sucks.

Always an accident. I'm always looking for a landing zone for an easy 3 or I'm trying to park it in my putting range.

Most of the time when I have hit mine, it just happens. Usually if I am trying to hit one, the shot sucks.

exactly.

I got my first ace on #12 DeLaveaga "A" position (short left). Downhill shot with a large pine protecting the basket. Threw it flat and aimed left of the basket 25-30 ft., the disc flew flat and straight, then started the left turn dive, it found a window in the pine and slammed into the basket. I had probably played that position 30 times, came close once or twice.

So glad I was playing with a good buddy to witness. I yelled as loud as I could when I saw it stayed in.

Since then, I have had discs deflect off of baskets, chains, etc. but not in.

Now, I concentrate on getting the disc to a location around the basket where it has a chance to get in. I never "root" for an ace, I figure I will enjoy the moment after I see that the disc has come to rest in the basket. It's too heartbreaking to see it come close but not stay in and like some have said, thinking about it while you are in the box is probably not helpful. At some point, it's all up to the disc golf gods.

Good Luck

exactly.

I got my first ace on #12 DeLaveaga "A" position (short left). Downhill shot with a large pine protecting the basket. Threw it flat and aimed left of the basket 25-30 ft., the disc flew flat and straight, then started the left turn dive, it found a window in the pine and slammed into the basket. I had probably played that position 30 times, came close once or twice.

So glad I was playing with a good buddy to witness. I yelled as loud as I could when I saw it stayed in.

Since then, I have had discs deflect off of baskets, chains, etc. but not in.

Now, I concentrate on getting the disc to a location around the basket where it has a chance to get in. I never "root" for an ace, I figure I will enjoy the moment after I see that the disc has come to rest in the basket. It's too heartbreaking to see it come close but not stay in and like some have said, thinking about it while you are in the box is probably not helpful. At some point, it's all up to the disc golf gods.

Good Luck

i have hit the chains but got a bad bounce at hole 12 as well. i hit my only real ace on hole 3 at Hellyer Park (Coyote Creek DGC). just this weekend i hit the basket on a 335' tunnel shot that didn't stay in either. so just like you i have one ace but have hit a lot of chains, basket, and poles.

For you guys that have the aces, did you think you were going to ace the hole, or did it just happen? I find myself wanting an ace so bad, that when I step up to a short hole, I think about aceing it, and then I usually end up blowing my shot.

Everytime I throw, I feel like I can ace the hole. I don't actually think it is going in, but I Know I Can!! That is the mindset I take. Alas, it really never happens.

When I got my aces, I thought they were just gonna be really close to the pin. Instead, they went in.....

Finally got my first Ace

When and what course did you have your first disc golf ace?
How long from the time you first started playing the game till your first ace?
How many since then?
First and only one: 5/30/2009 @ Cedar Brook Elementary School: #1 - 147'
18 months from the first time I threw real disc golf discs at a basket.

For a while now my girlfriend has been saying we've been playing long enough that we should have an Ace by now. So this past weekend I decide that we should go "Cubby" and we head out to the shortest course in town. Kinda funny since I sorta predicted that I could get my first Ace there in this post. The course is easy enough that I'm gonna play it with just my 169 Pro Rhyno for everything. We do the high-five, "good round" thing and I step up to the first tee and toss the Rhyno out on a slight hyzer line and it sails perfectly into the basket. One throw, mission accomplished! :D

We played three rounds and had some more close calls, but no other aces that day. Jessica's best throw was on #3 where she bounced one off the top of the basket:

My one and only ace happened on what was hole #6 at McDade on April 18 2009 with a Innova Star TeeBird 171g. It was approximatley 4 years after I had actually started playing disc golf. First of all I never tee off thinking I'm going to ace a hole. I basically picked a line I thought would get me closest to the basket. When I let it go I thought it was a little too high. But the angle was dead on and when it hit the chains it was a great, great feeling. Im lucky I had a buddy there to confirm it and I think he was more excited about it then I was. What I recommend everyone do, is don't try, it will happen, put the disc where it needs to be and eventually you'll have that loving feeling of an ace.

Last edited:
I got close to getting an Ace yesterday at Miramar Park in Sea Brook, TX. I was on #5, which is a 250ft straight shot. I sent my disc slightly right , and it drifted back left, and came down at a hard angle, and missed the basket by inches. I didn't realize how close I had gotten till I walked up and saw the disc sitting 3 feet from the basket. So close yet so far away.

More close calls than I can count. I've hit the pole, side of the basket, top of the basket, even skipped one off the top, I just can't seem to hit the chains. My buddy aced #4 at Bayville this past Wed, and when we played on Fri my disc hit the bottom of the pole on the same hole. It kind of irks me, as his ace came first in our group, when my "birdie" shots are always drop ins and his are always 30'ers. I am usually closer to the pin than anyone else in my group on those close shots, I just don't have that extra bit of luck.

I think Alex will be the place for mine.

From the shorts (depending on pin positions) there are:
245/220
282/166
187/190/211
179/150
180/149
157/145
201/154
176/160

From the longs:
248/251/270
243/213
239/205
198/185
212/195

Should be some chances...now not sure how many obstacles are there...will find out in 12 days...I cannot wait to have a course within 2mi of work.

First Ace was on #1 at Steed Park in Richlands, NC in late April of 2009.
First throw of the day to a slightly uphill, wide open 159' basket with a 172g ESP Discraft Impact.
A thing of beauty.
Been playing for a little less than a year now.
None since then, but I actually threw one in from 165' two weeks ago on my second throw at #17 at Castle Hayne, NC.

Latest posts