• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Flying Squirrel

Bacon Grease

Par Member
Did a search and read everything but- I'm wondering does it finish out in anny fashion or does it fade back a little like the meteor?
Also, what kind of (min and max) distances are you guys getting?

Im hoping itll finish anny like a Stingray and perform this way in the 175 to 250ish range.

Thx.

I throw a 1st run Flying Squirrel with a control grip 200-250, flat release holds anny the whole time. Tilt the release to adjust as needed. I force it to fade left on a 283' straight hole too. The 2nd run Flying Squirrel will glide longer so I normally use it as an S curve to 318' or a long anny to about 290'. By the way, I use the 150 class Flying Squirrel for overhead trouble shots and for my two aces. :)

Yes, I carry three in my bag. I like to know what I sell.

I love it, one of my favorite discs. I couldn't throw a meteor for sh*t, so I picked up a flying squirrel and never looked back. Thrown flat, It holds a nice anny line for me to about 280ish. Thrown on a hyzer flip, it goes dead straight about 300. Get one, you won't regret it!

flat anny to the ground 250-275, slight hyzer flipps up and flies dead nuts straight to the ground 285-300 big hyzer will stand up and then hyzer 300ish. very stingay like and very smooth disc. got me some quarters on hole 19 for ctp at random double tonight.

A couple years ago my friend, his girlfriend, and I all got first run flying squirrels in our players pack for a tournament we played. They all flew different. My friends was the only one that flew the way it was supposed to. Mine was way stable and hers was a little less stable than mine. I might not have given it the time it needed to break in but in my honest opinion the GL Fuse or a seasoned flat top roc does it better.

I like it, but I am finding the plastic too flexible now that the weather is warmer. The other issue I have with it is the inside rim tends to grab the dirt hard and causes the disc to run off instead of sliding. It holds a line like few other discs though.

Grabbed a Squirrel off the MP to see if I can learn to hyzer flip stuff a little better. Just curious to see who else is bagging one of these right now and how they like it...

I got one off the marketplace as well, but for my dad. He throws everything with massive hyzer, so I'm hoping it goes nice and straight for him.

Mine didn't stay in the bag as I stated before. Every now and then I will get a teepad or upshot that makes me wish I had room for it though.

It's a really good understable mid. I wasn't crazy about it, but if you like to hyzer flip to straight you will probably like it a lot.

Thanks BroD. I see you are a Fuse man. How do the two compare? I always found the Fuse to be, ironically enough, a bit squirrelly...

Sorry, I had to.

My fiancee throws squirrels as her main mid, really solid controllable mid. The different plastics do make a difference, their version of champ plastic is real straight and has some fade out of the box, the opaque plastic is flippier right off the bat but doesn't seem to get terribly squirrelly with wear. It doesn't fit well in my bag, but I think it's a great disc.

Thanks BroD. I see you are a Fuse man. How do the two compare? I always found the Fuse to be, ironically enough, a bit squirrelly...

Sorry, I had to.

What plastic Fuse were you throwing that was "squirrelly"? Heavier Opto's are very stable/neutral and much less affected by the wind than GL's.

The Flying Squirrel is very similar to a Comet...an old style mid with more of a rounded and sloping wing, and a narrow deep rim. I was throwing them a lot for a while, but ultimately I couldn't get used to the rim. Squirrels have a little fade to them where the Fuse will be dead straight. Squirrels also have a ton of glide, more than the Fuse. And they are longer than the Fuse because of it.

What plastic Fuse were you throwing that was "squirrelly"? Heavier Opto's are very stable/neutral and much less affected by the wind than GL's.

The Flying Squirrel is very similar to a Comet...an old style mid with more of a rounded and sloping wing, and a narrow deep rim. I was throwing them a lot for a while, but ultimately I couldn't get used to the rim. Squirrels have a little fade to them where the Fuse will be dead straight. Squirrels also have a ton of glide, more than the Fuse. And they are longer than the Fuse because of it.

I didn't think the squirrels I threw flew anything like a comet. Less glide, less touchy, a little more forgiving, and a little faster. To me they were much closer to something like a fuse or meteor than a comet.

I love mine for slow turnovers. I don't throw it often, but it hasn't failed me yet. I love the Gold plastic too. I think it's very underrated.

I didn't think the squirrels I threw flew anything like a comet. Less glide, less touchy, a little more forgiving, and a little faster. To me they were much closer to something like a fuse or meteor than a comet.

I was talking about physical appearance, not comparing how the two fly.

And the Fuse is simply a bad comparison, it doesn't look anything like the Squirrel, nor does it fly like one. I have thrown both together for nearly 2 years, hundreds of throws each. Have you?

Gotcha, I've got a ton of throws on comets and squirrels, not as many on fuses. Either way, the squirrel and comet don't fly alike and I don't think they feel alike in the hand either.

Gotcha, I've got a ton of throws on comets and squirrels, not as many on fuses. Either way, the squirrel and comet don't fly alike and I don't think they feel alike in the hand either.

I thought it was your fiance who throws the Squirrel, and that you said it "doesn't fit well in my bag." How does that equate to tons of throws with the Squirrel?

BTW, I came up on a group of 6 on the teepad of a 420 ft hole today. When I asked how many of them were going to throw a Leopard, I got looks of bewilderment. I had to tell them it was a joke.