• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwear

What type of sole do you prefer on your shoes and why?

Heavy/aggressive treads or mostly smooth

Solid one piece or sections broken up to allow more flexibility

Vibram or another proprietary rubber

Thickness or thinness

What type of sole do you prefer on your shoes and why?

Heavy/aggressive treads or mostly smooth: Mostly smooth to not resist the heel spin too much. Sure it is great to have aggressive hiking treads to avoid slipping when you walk, but I feel like it increases the torque on your knee if you have the treads be too aggressive

Solid one piece or sections broken up to allow more flexibility: I think one piece probably lasts longer and maybe resists delamination better, but I generally prefer a bit more flexibility that comes with multiple sections. Of course you can design a flexible one piece sole, but it seems to be a common tradeoff in the shoes I have tried.

Vibram or another proprietary rubber: This I am not sure I really have a good opinion on. More curious what other actually think about Vibram soles and if it lives up to the hype

Thickness or thinness: Again, I like flexibility, so I lose some durability for comfort

I mostly play in my work shoes that have been retired from being too dirty but still plenty of tread life (all running/trail runners), and only have a couple of pairs I have bought just for disc golf (these are waterproof). I think once I am out of school and making a little more money in my career, I will start to invest in some good nonwaterproof dedicated disc golf shoes

My thoughts

Last edited:
k2-_81dd0da6-9577-46f7-b8ec-9b81572fa555.v1.jpg-153b6effd42a462125c7111664b68cfa54552e2b-optim-450x450.jpg

A buddy of mine swears this was the best accidental investment he has made.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Men-s-Low-Profile-Hiking-Boot/40646953
He bought these as a stop gap but says they have held up much better than he would have expected and the price means if you have to replace them, no big deal. Obviously they are not waterproof, but work really well for dry or (according to him) light dew. The one thing he says they could use is a pair of inserts and then would be great. These are not going to last multiple seasons (I doubt personally) but for nice days, this seems like a decent shoe especially for the price.

Any idea how long these lasted for your friend and if his opinion of them changed at all? Thanks.

Any idea how long these lasted for your friend and if his opinion of them changed at all? Thanks.

Well, at this point, he has gone through a couple of them. I think he probably would not recommend them in the future. They are cheap, but they wear out faster than most shoes (probably because they are cheap). I think he is leaning toward buying some discounted Merrells for his next shoe. The Walmart shoes are great while they last, but that is not but a few months (my buddy only plays about once a month, so I am estimating for the average person who comes to these forums).

Well, at this point, he has gone through a couple of them. I think he probably would not recommend them in the future. They are cheap, but they wear out faster than most shoes (probably because they are cheap). I think he is leaning toward buying some discounted Merrells for his next shoe. The Walmart shoes are great while they last, but that is not but a few months (my buddy only plays about once a month, so I am estimating for the average person who comes to these forums).

Thanks. Think I'll keep looking for something better as well. Anyone know of any decent shoes under $50?

Thanks. Think I'll keep looking for something better as well. Anyone know of any decent shoes under $50?

I would just use some discounted running/trail shoes of your choice. May have to look around a bit but you could also find some discounted Merrells or Keens if you wear a very common size shoe (as in not wide like me, I can never take advantage of the really good discounts).

I personally use trail runners for nice non rainy/early morning rounds and save my waterproof shoes for only when I have to wear them.

Found these Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids online for $55 shipped. Is that a good deal? It's being marketed as a Summer shoe so I'm guessing they wouldn't be that great in Fall/early Winter?

13553-1l-f71c2ad33378d2878ab673ca90a8a661.jpg

Found these Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids online for $55 shipped. Is that a good deal? It's being marketed as a Summer shoe so I'm guessing they wouldn't be that great in Fall/early Winter?

13553-1l-f71c2ad33378d2878ab673ca90a8a661.jpg

Other than the fact that it isn't waterproof, that is a great deal on a great shoe. Depending on where you live (sorry, did not look before responding), it might not be warm enough or ideal for the weather. But the Moab line is a great classic hiker.

I've worm Moab mids for winter rounds in sub-freezing/snowy conditions and been comfy with a regular pair of athletic socks... you should be fine.

... unless you're someone whose feet tend to get cold easily. If that's the case, a decent pair of wool blend socks should keep your feet nice and warm.

I personally use trail runners for nice non rainy/early morning rounds and save my waterproof shoes for only when I have to wear them.
^Worth repeating. I only drop money for waterproof. For dry conditions, any decent pair of trail running shoes, hikers, work fine.

As long as it's dry, a beat up old pair of sneakers is fine for the vast majority of courses. The more rugged the course/terrain, the more you might want a pair of sturdy hikers.

Last edited:
trail running shoes work for me spring, summer and fall. I always have a crappy pair by the door for crappier, wetter days, and wear really good smartwool socks. SOCKS are as important as shoes IMHO....

trail running shoes work for me spring, summer and fall. I always have a crappy pair by the door for crappier, wetter days, and wear really good smartwool socks. SOCKS are as important as shoes IMHO....

Yep, I absolutely hate 'waterproof' shoes... but wool socks keep even wet feet pretty warm (I've never had a pair of 'waterproof' shoes that didn't get water in them.. once their it's stuck IN there).

Yep, I absolutely hate 'waterproof' shoes... but wool socks keep even wet feet pretty warm (I've never had a pair of 'waterproof' shoes that didn't get water in them.. once their it's stuck IN there).

Do you mean you hate them because of the water that comes in at the ankle? Or that you can't dry them out after?

Unless you have some gaiters, water will get in. If your foot can go in them so can water. But waterproof shoes are better than having a completely soaking wet foot. Sure some will get in, but it could be worse. Try pouring uncooked rice into the shoes to dry them out if they get really soaked. I bought a one pound bag and it is enough for a pair of shoes. It can also be reused if you dump the rice out and let it sit in your car or garage on a hot day. Even in the winter it will dry out eventually and is reusable dozens of times.

Sure, but how does the rice taste afterward?

Do you mean you hate them because of the water that comes in at the ankle? Or that you can't dry them out after?

Unless you have some gaiters, water will get in. If your foot can go in them so can water. But waterproof shoes are better than having a completely soaking wet foot. Sure some will get in, but it could be worse. Try pouring uncooked rice into the shoes to dry them out if they get really soaked. I bought a one pound bag and it is enough for a pair of shoes. It can also be reused if you dump the rice out and let it sit in your car or garage on a hot day. Even in the winter it will dry out eventually and is reusable dozens of times.

They never dry while wearing. Ever. This is as true backpacking as it is playing disc golf. Non-waterproof shoes dry while wearing. So I stopped bothering, and just wearing wool socks. BTW, they also hold in sweat.

Use rolled up newspaper, works as well as rice.. and is easier to get out.

I just put them in the oven on the lowest setting, around 180 degrees. Dries them out really well.

Sure, but how does the rice taste afterward?

Oddly like feet for some reason.

They never dry while wearing. Ever. This is as true backpacking as it is playing disc golf. Non-waterproof shoes dry while wearing. So I stopped bothering, and just wearing wool socks. BTW, they also hold in sweat.

Use rolled up newspaper, works as well as rice.. and is easier to get out.
I usually use newspaper until I can get home to the rice. I keep it in a shoe box and don't want it everywhere in my car. I can appreciate the fact that they don't dry during the round. I was not trying to say you are wrong, just curious. What are your preferred socks?

Last edited:
This is the best I've used so far.

Merrell All Out Blaze waterproof, low cut version.

Rugged enough for any terrain outside of deep snow. Waterproof enough to let you take a few steps submerged in a stream while staying dry. Never, ever worry about tying laces. Durable as ****. Grippy as ****. Fairly light compared to most rugged, waterproof hiking shoes.

They have a version 2.0 that I plan to try out whenever I wear these out. With the way it's looking, it'll be another year at least.

Oddly like feet for some reason.

I usually use newspaper until I can get home to the rice. I keep it in a shoe box and don't want it everywhere in my car. I can appreciate the fact that they don't dry during the round. I was not trying to say you are wrong, just curious. What are your preferred socks?

Yea, nice thing about any of this is no one really can be wrong, we just might like different things. I'm a smartwool junkie, in terms of socks. Although, I was given a pair of Darn tough have been pretty nice.. nice enough I bought 3 more pair.

Latest posts