• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I've become old and cranky; when people whine that the Wizard is too deep I tell them to put on their big boy pants and learn to throw a damn putter! :mad: :redforemandumbasssmiley:

I hate deep putters yet the Wizard gives me no problems... wonder why? I can't throw an Aviar worth a crap... God forbid an Ion or Anode.

I hate deep putters yet the Wizard gives me no problems... wonder why? I can't throw an Aviar worth a crap... God forbid an Ion or Anode.
I get the deep putter thing; I tried to putt with XD's for a long time because I didn't like the deep feel of the Aviar. At the time, the Aviar was about it, though. Eventually I decided I just needed to get over myself and get used to it, which I did. Now the depth of a putter never is an issue for me, and I'm not limited to a certain type. It sounds like a flippant response (and it is to a certain extent) but "put on your big boy pants and get over yourself" has worked out really well for me.

Ions are considered deep? I need to reevaluate what I consider a deep putter then. Ions, to me, feel as deep as a Colt.

I get the deep putter thing; I tried to putt with XD's for a long time because I didn't like the deep feel of the Aviar. At the time, the Aviar was about it, though. Eventually I decided I just needed to get over myself and get used to it, which I did. Now the depth of a putter never is an issue for me, and I'm not limited to a certain type. It sounds like a flippant response (and it is to a certain extent) but "put on your big boy pants and get over yourself" has worked out really well for me.

I almost gave up playing in the first month of playing when I was putting with an Aviar. I could never get a clean release. From advice of the forum, I picked up a Wizard and everything just clicked.
Then the Envy was released and nothing was ever the same; yet I could easily put the Wizard back in rotation tomorrow and be fine.

The specs are not that different from the Aviar to the Wizard. It amazes me how such small changes can make such a big difference in performance(admittedly confidence plays a large part of it)

Ions are considered deep? I need to reevaluate what I consider a deep putter then. Ions, to me, feel as deep as a Colt.
It's 100% feel and varies from player to player; people will complain about X putter being too deep but liking Y putter when Y putter has a deeper spec than X putter. It's all in how it lands in your hand.

Well, not ALL. But you are talking about millimeters.

I switched from Wizards to Warlocks ages ago. Then you posted this damn thing and I thought "Eh, what the Hell? Let's toss some Wizards for old times sake." Damn it. :mad:

What am I supposed to do with all these Warlocks now?

Give them to the boys in "the little boys pants "

It's 100% feel and varies from player to player; people will complain about X putter being too deep but liking Y putter when Y putter has a deeper spec than X putter. It's all in how it lands in your hand.

Yep agreed 100% and with the Wizard and Aviar all but Classic Grid that is due to how the wing fits with the nose compared to a Wizard. A Wizard is just what Innova woud call a V Aviar Big Bead.

Same here. Couldn't putt with Aviars as a newb so I putted XD's. Switched to Wizards in '05 and never looked back.

Yeah. This is what I was thinking. Funny how it works out that way.

Yep agreed 100% and with the Wizard and Aviar all but Classic Grid that is due to how the wing fits with the nose compared to a Wizard. A Wizard is just what Innova woud call a V Aviar Big Bead.

I meant All I can use with Aviar is the Classic Grid due in part to nose shape and how the sing fits into the nose with all but the Classic Grid. This odd since I can use the Wizard which is just a V Aviar Big Bead. I prefer other putters but I can use Wizard due in part to the big bead.

Last edited:
For me, there's a big difference between what makes a good throwing Wizard and what makes a good putting Wizard. If all Wizards were high-shouldered, I'd have to look for new throwing putters...

For me, there's a big difference between what makes a good throwing Wizard and what makes a good putting Wizard. If all Wizards were high-shouldered, I'd have to look for new throwing putters...

I agree 100% if I used did use Wizard discs currently for both putting, taller profile Wizard and driving/approach-long putt, lower profile Wizard as the lower works best for the driving without feeling clunky.

My dad on the other hand would have to look for new driving putters if the Wizard he has got lost and the Wizard in high shoulder was gone. He can't use the low shoulder/low profile Wizards as then the mold feels more like a taller putter version of the Gator, then the lower profile is more midrange like for him as a less OS slower version of the Gator. My dad wants for his profile Wiazrd for both driving and if he used Wizard for putting, a Wizard that has the taller profile so for his driving putter he can throw the disc knowing it will act more like a putter and for putting will be slower not go as far on a miss.

Wizard

Just bought two max weight eraser wizards. Fantastic putter. I wanted something that was firm but had a tacky grip. I've already played a round with it and I'm happy with my purchase. It also throws really well. My question is to all of the wizard aficionados, what plastic do you like to use it as a throwing putter in? I don't want to beat up my eraser ones. Thanks!

Just bought two max weight eraser wizards. Fantastic putter. I wanted something that was firm but had a tacky grip. I've already played a round with it and I'm happy with my purchase. It also throws really well. My question is to all of the wizard aficionados, what plastic do you like to use it as a throwing putter in? I don't want to beat up my eraser ones. Thanks!

There's some information you could peruse in this thread:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86600

You should beat up your eraser ones. :|

Actually (this might just be me but I'll throw it out there) my putting Wizards are far and away the most beat-up of my Wizards. They hit the basket. My driving Wizards mostly hit air and grass, they are in a lot better shape.

Anyway...for somebody who likes Eraser Wizards for putting I'd say get an SS Wizard for driving. Maybe an S Wizard. One of those two. Stick to the baseline Sure Grip plastic.

Actually (this might just be me but I'll throw it out there) my putting Wizards are far and away the most beat-up of my Wizards. They hit the basket. My driving Wizards mostly hit air and grass, they are in a lot better shape.

Anyway...for somebody who likes Eraser Wizards for putting I'd say get an SS Wizard for driving. Maybe an S Wizard. One of those two. Stick to the baseline Sure Grip plastic.

I tend to agree, until you really whack one into a tree! Then you've got a nice smooth disc with one side bent down.

I also prefer the firmer baseline plastic for throwing. I tend to think that Eraser won't hold up well as a thrower but who knows. Mainly you want to avoid any plastic that loses chunks of material when it hits things. So the really chalky stuff is usually out.

For Wizards I'm currently throwing a PWP (stiff as a board) and a Firm Nikko. The Nikko Wizards are technically a kind of "special blend" plastic, but it feels pretty much like a regular "firm" wizard to me.

My favorite throwers over the years have all been "S" wizards, which are probably closest to the present-day "SS" firmness.

This is pretty much what I do. The hemp ones might also not be a bad choice. I dunno, I like em. But, my throwing putters become putting putters, I don't separate them. THEN they become far more beaten up.

So the eraser wizards are good throwers? They don't feel like they would catch the ground very well. They're firm.

What's the difference between organic wizards and organic hemp? I imagine they're probably the same.

So the eraser wizards are good throwers? They don't feel like they would catch the ground very well. They're firm.

What's the difference between organic wizards and organic hemp? I imagine they're probably the same.

The hemp ones I have are tackier. Although, that could be typical gateway though. It's a love/hate.. when I really want a disc that is how I want it, I call them.. describe it, and they have always come either extremely close, or spot on.

I tend to agree, until you really whack one into a tree!
Solution: Don't hit trees. :|

Eraser is like any Gateway plastic; some of it is really firm, some not so much. I've got I think five from the same run in like 2016, they were all super firm. They could have been labeled Medium and I wouldn't have questioned it. They just have a tackier grip to them.